Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canadian Employment / Jobs > Canada Job Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

moving to toronto

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newbie1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: moving to toronto
    Posted: 30 Oct 2010 at 12:48pm
I am considering moving to Toronto this winter( second week of November, to be precise). My only concern is whether I will be able to find a decent job there once I land.I am working in middle east for full time, so will be visiting only for a week and no more. From what I know, it could be pretty tough because the Canadian employers don't recognize work experience elsewhere. I am Indian by the way, not an American, but I cleared my CFA Level 1 (USA), and had successfully completed the Indian Chartered Accountancy exams (if that matters). Of course English won't be a problem for me, as my current bosses are all Britishers, and my English should be considered fluent (not native level though). 

I had the experience of working in Middle East for 3 years however, in finance & product control, there are quite limited good opportunities for me. So, guys who had moved to Toronto from another country, how is the job market nowadays? 

newbie1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newbie1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2010 at 3:34pm
anybody!
ajgodinho View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ajgodinho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2010 at 1:32am
Sorry, I haven't been able to check the forums this past week or so and just checked your post tonight.

Anyway, to respond to your post with regards to jobs in Toronto. If you're going to be here just for a week, realistically, it will be difficult to find a job especially if you are looking for an Accountant job. More so because it's a regulated job in Canada (as in you require to be certified). There are other jobs within the accounting field that are non-regulated though.

Also, right now, the economic situation is still lagging, but much better than the US. So companies are still in the cautious mode. There are still job openings but people with Canadian experience will get preference.

I don't want to make this post too long winded, however, I recently put together a Squidoo web page to assist new immigrants in their job search. You will find a lot of information here to help with your job search as well as writing your resume (Canadian format), cover letter, etc.

As well, you will there is a section called "Report: Working in Canada" which you will find very useful.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any follow up questions. Wishing you the best!

P.S: By the way, I was in Dubai from 1992 to 1998 before I moved to Canada.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic