Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Canadian Citizenship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Edmonton application, test, oath, schedules

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4243444546 90>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crocus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2011 at 2:46pm
I applied for Citizenship March 2009.
I took test March 2010.
I submitted answers for RQ April 2010.
I have been asked to Oath next week in Edmonton - Feb 2011.

Question: I was expecting an interview after the RQ and before the Oath but they have just sent me a letter inviting me to Oath. Does this mean I wont be interviewed or will they grill me before Oath ceremony?
Thanks!
crocus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crocus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2011 at 3:17pm
I am also wondering - I have been out of Canada visiting relatives again, do they ask to see travel papers and tickets prior to the Oath Ceremony? Or is that more of a formality to ask us to bring all the paperwork along?
My Oath is scheduled for 12.30pm - can anyone tell me what to expect? Queues? Interview? Approx time it all takes from start to finish?
Should I take along a printout of Oh Canada anthem? I have a memory like a sieve so I wont get it perfect if I am nervous without reading it.
If I get Citizenship what is the procedure to apply for a Canadian Passport please? I will be in Canada House so I am wondering whether I will get time to nip down and put in passport app??

Thanks folks ! 
edm0310 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edm0310 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2011 at 12:13am
congratulations crocus. don't worry they won't care about it at oath. which day is your oath? please do share ur experience of the oath ceremony. thanx.
edmotonresident View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edmotonresident Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2011 at 12:14am
Originally posted by crocus crocus wrote:

I am also wondering - I have been out of Canada visiting relatives again, do they ask to see travel papers and tickets prior to the Oath Ceremony? Or is that more of a formality to ask us to bring all the paperwork along?
My Oath is scheduled for 12.30pm - can anyone tell me what to expect? Queues? Interview? Approx time it all takes from start to finish?
Should I take along a printout of Oh Canada anthem? I have a memory like a sieve so I wont get it perfect if I am nervous without reading it.
If I get Citizenship what is the procedure to apply for a Canadian Passport please? I will be in Canada House so I am wondering whether I will get time to nip down and put in passport app??

Thanks folks ! 

Hi crocus,

Cangratulations, fortunately the officer who handled your RQ case has considered your  solid and honest reason living out of Canada for such an extended period due to your mother's situation, i am happy to know that.

1- On your oath day, they don't even check your passport, you don't have to declare any of your trips after your test date (at least that what i have experienced in Edmonton office), as you mentioned, it's a formality to ask for such documents but in fact, they don't have time or even have no interest in your trips after your test date. They will only take your PR card away for ever, check your COPR, and any ID like a driving license, and that's it.

2- you will line up, (arrive 15 minuts in advance to listen to instructions), once you reach the agent, he/she will check your COPR, ID and take away your PR card, then you will be asked to sign 2 papers in front of the agent (media release and no criminal record document), then you will be sent to your seat.
The duration will depend on the location and the number of applicants taking the oath, if it's in Edmonton citizenship court, it would take about 1-2 hours max. As it usually accomodates 80 persons only, so it won't be long (from start to finish).

3- you will be given the Oh Canada anthem at your document check interview, so you can read and sing at the same time.

4- once your receive your citizenship card, fill section 4-c of the PPTC 153 application (Certificate number and date of issue) in handwriting,suppose you have the application pre-filled out beforehand, then proceed to the main floor of Canada place, right abeam the main gate (jasper Ave gate), just line up and your passport application will be verified by an agent, and you will be given a file number. It takes about 15-20 minuts at the passport office, i think you will be at the passport office by 2:30 pm, then you leave it at 2:50 at max.

Congratulations and good luck.
"Canada, where good people live"
crocus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crocus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2011 at 1:53am
Thanks for your help EdmontonResident.....so I will arrive early anyway to get the 2 passport pics they need so I have those to take with me to Passport office. Are you saying I will walk away with Canadian Passport in my hand same day?!Shocked

How amazing. It is hard to take it in that finally this may really happen.
crocus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crocus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2011 at 1:55am
I will come back and post about what happened yes.....! I imagine it will be just as EDmResident says.....all sounds very orderly and my main concern now is whether I will cry or not !
edmotonresident View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edmotonresident Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2011 at 9:55am
Originally posted by crocus crocus wrote:

Thanks for your help EdmontonResident.....so I will arrive early anyway to get the 2 passport pics they need so I have those to take with me to Passport office. Are you saying I will walk away with Canadian Passport in my hand same day?!Shocked

How amazing. It is hard to take it in that finally this may really happen.

Not that fastSmile.

Your passport photos should be signed by your guarantor (one at least), as well as your passport application, so you'll have to fill out your passport application well in advance and get your photos taken and signed before your oath day.

Once you submit your passport application, you will get it 10 business days after submission date, your passport will be delivered by a registered mail to your address.

Fill out this form and read the instruction, get someone who is a Canadian citizen and holds a 5-year Canadian passport and has known you for at least 2 years to sign as your guarantor, get the photos taken before as the guarantor will have to sign them and your application at the same time (just to save you some time).

And, trust me, you will not cry, you will leave as a happy Canadian with all things done smoothly.
Good luck
"Canada, where good people live"
Northerner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Northerner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2011 at 7:44pm
Any one getting Oath letters in Edmonton? CIC shows no ceremonies scheduled for Feb
crocus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crocus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2011 at 7:53pm
well unless i am meeting the judge alone Shocked i sure hope there is a ceremony this week......i have just arrived in edm for it ! so presumably they just havent put it up on the cic site for some reason yet?
edm0310 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edm0310 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2011 at 9:00pm
crocus: are you sure there are oath ceremonies scheduled this month in edmonton?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4243444546 90>
  Share Topic