Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Skilled Worker / Independent Immigration
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Delhi Pre-February 2008 Applicants Forum

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 33343536>
Author
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samrao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2012 at 11:16pm

Friends

Guidy Mammen is the immigration lawyer who  answered a question that is on top our minds - for all of us I mean. I reproduce that portion we may be interested in. For the entire discussion follow this link:

Two people i know applied under skilled immigration category in 2006. Both their status on cic website says “in process” and they have not received any communication after receiving the ‘received application’ notification. For the fear of Kenney going ahead with eliminating their applications, can they already start an application process in the new system?

How real is this? i mean for Kenney to have the authority to create a legislation to wipe off the applications? who needs to support him and will they support him? how soon can this happen?

Sorry Gloria for the long wait…I have been tied up with Citizen….:)

OK …Gloria asks: Two people i know applied under skilled immigration category in 2006. Both their status on cic website says “in process” and they have not received any communication after receiving the ‘received application’ notification. For the fear of Kenney going ahead with eliminating their applications, can they already start an application process in the new system?

Gloria…their is no reason why they can’t file a second application if they qualify under current selection criteria. They may be asked later on to withdraw one application and whether they should or not will depend on the situation at that time. I can’t say what to do now except when armed with all the details of the case. There is a bar under IRPA that prevents you from submitting two sponsorship applications. That is now a no-no. Also you cant have two Humanitarian applications pending at the same time ….see section 25 (1.2) of IRPA.

Gloria asks: How real is this? i mean for Kenney to have the authority to create a legislation to wipe off the applications? who needs to support him and will they support him? how soon can this happen?

Gloria….you are asking the million dollar question….”how real is this”

The Conservatives now have a majority in the House of Commons. Also, the public has not reacted loudly to many of the major changes introduced by the Conservatives to our immigration legislation. In other words, the Conservatives are free to do whatever they choose that they believe will make them look good and/or will conform to the philosophical way that they see the world.

I have no doubt that Jason Kenney has a backlog, not all of his own doing, that would take an army of immigration officers to process. The only way it can be done fairly, is to hire lots of people and get them to roll up their sleeves and get it done. It will take years but that is what is necessary to preserve our international reputation as a fair people. Keep in kind that we took these peoples processing fees and told them to wait patiently for an answer. There will be a lot of bitter, professionals, tradespeople, skilled workers, investors, entrepreneurs etc who will have a very bad taste in their mouths if they have the rug pulled out from under their feet. They will have wasted years and years in their plans to emigrate.

I doubt, that this government is a principled governemnt and will take ownership of this problem. I think it is more likely than not that they will simply pass legislation which will allow them to dump all of the unwanted applications overboard. They will then take credit for “clearing the backlog”.

In other words…I think its very real. The only downside is the courts. If the government receives legal opinions from their Department of Justice lawyers that this legislation may not survive judicial scrutiny, and that applicants might be able to sue for damages, then maybe they will have to rethink these plans. Otherwise, I think they may very well proceed.

Love Your fellow member as your own self
krisp View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krisp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2012 at 8:15am
Dear Friends ,

Please read the following report published in Desi Times Canada. 

https://spreadsheets0.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0Asl8-K_6JIWYdFBxa1ZDZ1dtQmpna2t6UHBvR285clE&output=html
samrao View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samrao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2012 at 9:15am

Friends

this is the speech in the economic club on March 7, 2012, reported by CBC and a short interview following the address published on March 8, which got every one of us anxious. For those who want to know exactly what Minister Kenney spoke  follow the link:

Speaking notes for The Honourable Jason Kenney, P.C., M.P. Minister of Citizenship, Immigration and Multiculturalism

“Canada’s Immigration System and Our Economic Future”

At the Economic Club of Canada Event
Laurier Room, Château Laurier, 1 Rideau Street
Ottawa, March 7, 2012

As delivered

And this is what he said concerning the Backlog

"Finally, I cannot understate to what extent our system has been burdened by huge and growing backlogs in the past. Frankly, it was a result of Canada’s unwillingness to properly manage the intake of the new applications. Every year, for several years, we were getting hundreds of thousands of new applications, and with the legal obligation to process them, but we could only admit, in our immigration plan, roughly a quarter of a million people and every year. The queue just grew larger and larger, to the point where our cumulative immigration backlog is now in the range of a million files in many of the programs, waiting for seven or eight years.

I want to thank and commend the Standing Committee on Immigration for their excellent report on this issue, yesterday.

The government has taken action to reduce immigration backlogs, particularly in the Skilled Worker Program. This backlog has decreased by about 50% and, happily, new applications are now being processed within 12 months. However, some older applications are still in the backlog. It still takes my department seven to eight years to make a decision on those applications.

And that slow moving, burdened, backlog-ridden system means that we do not have an immigration system that can be fast and nimble, and respond to job offers or changes in the Canadian economy and labour market. It is, therefore, essential that we reduce and eliminate these backlogs, so that we can move from a slow, rigid and passive immigration system to a fast, flexible and responsive immigration system.

As I just said, it is essential that we take action to reduce and eliminate these backlogs, so that we have a system that is fast and flexible and that can respond to changes in the labour market.

So we are making enormous progress, but we need to go further. We are exploring ways to reduce the backlog. For example, we are launching a pilot project that will allow provinces and territories to “mine the backlog” in other words, to review the applications in the backlog and nominate those applicants they think their economies need right now. We are also informing some applicants stuck in the federal skilled workers backlog about possible opportunities under the Provincial Nominee Program.

We are also looking at ways to have applicants whose applications are caught in the backlog consent to having us share their files with Canadian employers who have positions to be filled. Applications from applicants who already have a job offer in Canada will be processed on a priority basis.

So we’re looking at possibly something like an expression of interest system where people would give us their consent to share their applications with employers and with provinces so that they can get a job offer before they get into Canada, again ensuring their success upon arrival.

New Zealand and Australia – countries with immigration systems very similar to ours – have already gone even further and introduced changes to their systems that would make them nimbler, more flexible and more reflective of modern labour market realities than what was the case before.

New Zealand legislated an end to its backlog in 2003 and put in place a system where prospective applicants can be selected from a pool made up of all persons who have applied. Rather than wasting time and energy processing old applications, their resources can now be put towards actively matching the best qualified applicants to current jobs and economic needs.

Now, in recent months, Prime Minister Harper has spoken about doing more in the economy of the future than just passively accepting applications. He has talked about the need to actively recruit people to come to Canada to fill specific skill shortages."

chandigarh-toronto View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chandigarh-toronto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2012 at 6:04pm

http://www.petitiononlinecanada.com/petition/is-canada-fair-to-immigrants/808

only 253 out of all the hundreds of thousand backlog applicants. It is gonna be very easy for Kenney to wipe off the entire backlog without any sound. Its gonna be easier then cutting a chicken for him. May God give us courage to hear the worst.

does anyone remember how much was the application fees which we paid?
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chandigarh-toronto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2012 at 10:25am
Originally posted by canadaisgreat canadaisgreat wrote:

All options are on the table for eliminating the massive backlogs in Canada’s immigration system, including the possibility of legislating away the more than one-million applications waiting to be assessed. Citizenship and Immigration Minister Jason Kenney made the startling suggestion at a speech to the Economic Club of Canada in Ottawa Wednesday, saying that he hadn’t made any decisions yet but is considering following the example of New Zealand, which eliminated its backlog by legislation in 2003.

On Wednesday, he emphasized the need to clear Canada’s backlogs, which are huge. If no new applications were accepted, there are enough people waiting in the system to fill our skilled worker targets for the next five years. He also announced that provinces will be able to sift through the current pool of skilled worker applicants to cherry pick candidates for their provincial nominee programs.

Referring to the New Zealand example in his speech Wednesday, Mr. Kenney said eliminating the backlog at a stroke made that country’s immigration system nimbler and more able to respond rapidly to changes in the labour market.

Lorne Waldman, a lawyer and immigration expert, said Mr. Kenney would have to pass new legislation to eliminate applications waiting in the queue.

For those of you who are having a tough time to understand the simple facts:

1. "Eliminating backlog at a stroke" means closing all immigration files and not processing all immigration files. This is basic English.
2. The only thing Kenny needs to eliminate all files is pass a legislation. Once a legislation is passed in the parliament, even Tim will be unable to do anything in the courts. Have you heard of any country where the courts are above the legislature? As long as the government passes laws through parliament (rather than enacting laws on its own), the court has to follow those laws.
3. The Conservatives have majority in the parliament and passing this legislation will be a cakewalk for them.
4. For those of you who don't know this: Kenny is a fairly important/powerful member of the Conservatives and his voice carries enormous weight with the Conservative government.
5. The background of Conservatives has been anti-immigration and closing the backlog will only increase their vote bank and not decrease it.
6. Before totally eliminating the backlog, the governments wants to cherry pick the most suitable immigrants and hence the pilot program. Once the most suitable immigrants have been picked up from the lot, the remaining files will be closed permanently.

I am really shocked that these simple facts are not being understood by many members of this forum!

Before making contradictory and absurd statements, try to spend some time and read Canadian news/discussions. In this internet age where we have all resources at our fingertips, you will look like a fool if you make statements just because you like them and not because they are factual.

I almost fell laughing reading that relatives/friends in Canada will make noises LOL. My personal experience: most people who have already immigrated don't care for people waiting in queue. They don't want more competition. Yes my dear friend - most human beings are selfish. Even you will be, when you are on the other side of the fence!! 

Call me negative or whatever you like but please bookmark this page and read my statement at the end of this year and you will realize what the truth is/was.

I've been trying in vain to open the eyes of the forum members but then people only want to hear what they want and not what they need to.

Very tragic - only two forum members were ready to demonstrate in front of Canadian consulate Unhappy

P.S. I'm sure Narang is reading this sitting in Toronto. He promised in a statement that he would be in Canada by the end of 2011 Tongue 
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chandigarh-toronto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2012 at 5:08am

Canadian Immigration redesigns website to help employers find skilled workers

15 March 2012

Canadian Immigration announced last week that they will provide more help to local employers seeking to recruit immigrant workers from abroad for both permanent and temporary positions.

Canadian employers will now be able to access more information online about Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) programmes as part of a government commitment to make sure the best people are selected for jobs. CIC stated that the website had "been redesigned to include a new section to guide employers to the most suitable program".

"The economy and job growth remain the number one priority of the Government," said Immigration Minister Jason Kenney. "Labour shortages are becoming a growing problem in many regions, and this website will help employers access information that will help them hire permanent or temporary foreign workers when no Canadians are able to fill a position."

Employers can learn what steps are needed in order to bring in foreign workers to Canada either on a temporary or permanent basis, or to hire international students studying in Canada. CIC is also reaching out directly to local employers through public consultations to explain the benefits of the new website.

Under the Canadian skilled worker category overseas workers can apply independently for Canadian skilled immigration. However, there are only ten thousand visas available for only twenty-nine occupations available under this category. Canadian employers can also sponsor an immigrant's visa application as long as there is a shortage of your skills in Canada.

Foreign workers wishing to immigrate to Canada can come under the following visa programs:

Temporary

• Temporary Foreign Worker Program - Allows employers to hire foreign workers to fill temporary labour and skill shortages.
  • International Student Program - Students who have come to Canada to study are eligible to apply for work permits.

Permanent

• Federal Skilled Worker Program - Assesses applicants based on their ability to adapt to Canada's labour market. CIC currently has an annual cap of 10,000 new applications under this program and caps of 500 for each of the 29 occupations, but applicants with qualifying job offers are not affected by the cap.
  • Provincial Nominee Program - Provinces and territories can nominate foreign workers for permanent immigration.
  • Canadian Experience Class - Allows temporary foreign workers and foreign students who graduated in Canada to apply to stay permanently.

The new website also features a Foreign Credentials Referral Office that offers information and services on the Canadian labour market and Canada's credential assessment processes.
samrao View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samrao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2012 at 4:32am
Dear Friends
This may be of interest to all of us:

Citizenship and Immigration Canada Announces New Immigration Targets

var addthis_config = {"data_track_clickback":true}; < =text/ ="http://s7.add.com/js/250/add_widget.js#pubid=canadavisa">

Every year, Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) sets immigration targets to meet the Canadian government’s economic, family reunification, and humanitarian goals. 2012 will see a large increase in the issuance of visas from overseas, with total documents rising from 217,800 in 2011 to a projected 255,100 for this year.

Almost all categories of Canadian immigration will see increases in the amount of visas being issued in the upcoming year. Amongst these, some have increased dramatically. Visas available to parents and grandparents, for instance, numbered 11,200 last year. For the current period, the target has been set at 36,500. Other significant increases have been projected for Federal Skilled Workers (55,900 to 61,000), and Provincial/Quebec Nominees (73,600 to 78,000). In total, overseas visa issuance will rise an impressive 17% for this year. A further 26, 884 visas are expected to be issued to immigrants already in Canada.

On top of national goals, specific visa issuance targets are given to visa processing centers in each geographic region. Overall, these centers are expected to issue a greater number of immigration documents. In the Africa/Middle East region, large increases are planned for the Federal Skilled Worker program. Specific increases in parent/grandparent visas issued from the Damascus office are also expected to occur. In the Asia/Pacific region, overall immigration goals are planned for all but one visa office, with parent/grandparent visas more than doubling. Europe and the Americas will see similar changes. Particularly large increases are planned across the board for the Mexico City and Havana offices.

Immigration targets are set by the federal government with several goals in mind. These goals are carried out under the overall framework of the 2002 Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA). The IRPA is responsible for outlining objectives, but it does not prioritize these objectives or explain how they should be carried out and allocated nationally and globally. Such decisions fall to the current Canadian government. The Prime Minister, Stephen Harper, has previously announced that the central driving force behind his administration’s immigration policy will be economic in nature, and increases to such economically-driven programs as Federal Skilled Worker and Provincial Nominee programs appear to reflect this expressed goal. Further to this, both Federal and Quebec Business class immigration will be streamlined to more accurately target desired business immigrants.

In addition to meeting economic goals, the Government of Canada has expressed other immigration priorities for this year. Of paramount importance is shortening the overall processing times and reducing the backlog of applications currently found in some immigration categories. Steps have been also been made to accommodate a growth in family class applications and improve the Canadian system of asylum and refugee resettlement.

Immigration priorities are determined through a lengthy process of research and dialogue with key economic and social stakeholders. Provinces and Territories are heavily consulted throughout the year for the setting up and running of both provincial and federal immigration programs. Also integral to the decision making process is research on economic conditions and labor market needs. While bringing in immigrants to fill immediate labour shortages, it is also important to seek to address long term issues such as the geographic distribution of labour and the aging Canadian population. Finally, Canada’s capacity to welcome newcomers must be in line with immigration goals so that arrivals may be successfully integrated to their new home. Last year, $600 million was allocated for these efforts outside Quebec, and $250 specifically located to the Province of Quebec.

CIC’s immigration targets for 2012 can be viewed in detail below:

CIC 2012 Targets

*All statistics are reposted with permission from Citizenship and Immigration Canada

SanjivC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SanjivC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2012 at 12:12am
Pre-2008 applications have been removed through legislation. Kenney hinted he would do this (similar to what New Zealand did in 2003).

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/government-forces-thousands-of-hopeful-immigrants-to-reapply/article2386046/

That is it. No further discussion. Game over.
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chandigarh-toronto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2012 at 5:47pm
Guys it was nice knowing you all. It was a sad end to Royal Man's story and for all of us too.

However, atleast things are clear now and we can plan our future accordingly now. We can buy new cars, start new business, etc, etc. Now we know which country are we going to grow old in so we can plan accordingly.
We will have to inform our friends that we are not going to migrate to Canada now. As this news will be soon in papers in India too.

GSPreet, we had paid around 75,000 when we applied. Not very sure but was something like that.

Sabkushtera veery, your's and Narang saab's predictions of rain of medicals unfortunately did not come true but your prediction of refunds did!! but pls remember, God helps those who help themselves. In the world that God has created, the Lion eats the deer as he can not eat grass, God has made him this way. There is no natural justice. We should have given a good fight which we did not, so we got what we deserved.

Krisp, can you find out from TIM what will happen to his litigation? Does he have any hope?

Guys now lets get back to our respective jobs.

We should inform the forum when we start getting our refunds so that we can be creful with the post. Hope they don't use the yellow envelope to make fun of us!

Next post is to read Royal Man's letter so that we can all shed a tear or so and then get back to our works and try to make the best of what we have.

However, all please remember these words, which Guru Gobind Singh ji said:

"When everything is lost, the future still remains"
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chandigarh-toronto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2012 at 5:48pm
Hi,
Good day to you. I am well aware that at this time, you don’t know me, are not aware of me and
obviously, know nothing about my plight. Please allow me to introduce myself.
I am a professional, trained, living and working in India. Of course, there are millions like me. You
would not expect them to write to you or to share their problems with you or expect a solution. But I am different. I am different in the sense that I worked hard, worked sincerely, developed good
language skills, saved money, had the desire and drive to live in Canada.
Propelled by this great desire to live in a great country, I applied for immigration to Canada as a
Federal Skilled Worker. It is almost 7 years since. I still remember the excitement of signing up an
agent, collecting forms, gathering documents, consolidating savings and dreaming of Canada that
filled the days of my family those days. My family of four huddled in front of computer every evening, kids asking me to show pictures of Canada and enjoying each one as it loaded on to the screen. We filled out forms very carefully, checked and rechecked them. Collected all the required documents and sent them to Canadian High Commission - New Delhi.
After the completed application forms was dispatched to Canadian High Commission, my only
pastime was reading Canadian Immigration information from where ever I got. Four of us saw
different Canadian cities on Google Earth, ran searches on housing, education, weather, job
situation and what not. When my children asked me when will the immigration come through, I
proudly told them, “ Canada is a fair country, justice prevails there. It is governed by the rule of law. That is why we are migrating. Don’t you see we are well settled. I have a steady job. I am a well trained professional. We do own a house, a car, you go to a good private school. There is enough saving despite living a comfortable life.
We want to go to Canada because I want us to live in a law abiding, sensitive and fair country where human life is greatly valued, where the government is sensitive to peoples’ needs. Where
government delivers on its promises, where officials are efficient and there is transparency in official work. Canadian Government website says applications are processed in order they are received at Canadian High Commission - New Delhi. The web site also publishes average time taken for processing. Going by the current trend, last year it took 18 months to get PR, may be by another 2 years, we will be in Canada “.
Children felt happy and reassured. However there was no word from Canadian High Commission.
Months passed by, but immigration was nowhere in sight. Time lines kept creeping up and hope
kept sliding down. Every time my children asked me about immigration, I put up a brave face and
said, “ Dear children since Canada is such a good country, everyone wants to go there. So, there is a great rush. So many families are waiting for their turn, ours will come soon”. But inside, I knew it was not that simple. Somehow processing had gone slow, there was no information available anywhere.
My agent could not give me any information. Canadian High Commission - New Delhi had a
standard reply sans information for all information seeking emails.
In February 2008, Canada government decided to introduce a new scheme. A list of 38 professions
was created and fresh applications were invited under this new scheme aptly named “ Fast Track”.
The applications were to be processed within 12 months. It was further stated that the Fast Track
applications will be processed parallel to old applications. I started reading the news again, to look
for the new quota of immigrant visas for the Fast Track that I had overlooked during first read. I read twice, thrice even four times but there was no hint of additional quota anywhere. Finding no fresh quota for Fast Track, I started looking for the ratio in which PR visas will be divided between Fast Track and old cases, but no luck here too. I was wondering where was the transparency ? It was now that the gravity of the situation sunk in.
I asked myself, - There are so many candidates in India who would qualify under Fast Track and if they are to get visa within 12 months, would there be any more visas left for the old cases. If it keeps going like this, old cases would never get a chance. My heart was filled with anguish. My eyes welled with tears.
Image of my children swam before my eyes. Will I have heart to tell them after 4 years of day
dreaming that we are not going to Canada because Canada has decided to drop its virtue of being
fair and just. How would I explain to them that after 4 years of waiting patiently, old scheme
applicants have been sidelined. It also surprised me beyond measure as to what was the need for
“Fast Track” when there were so many professionals, even in those 38 professions that were
needed under the Fast Track who were equally qualified and definitely more experienced, waiting
for 5 years ! If no separate quota was announced for Fast Track, is it not “ Last come, first served “. Did it not violate the promise made to old applicants that the applications will be processed in order they are received ? Where was the Canadian justice and fairness and transparency? Though it hurt, but I had no option but to wait. Enquiry at Canadian High Commission returned same generic response. No information was offered about the ratio in which visas are to be divided between the two streams. My fears came true. Fast Track candidates breezed through while old cases were marooned to endless wait. The wait went on and on and I kept hoping against hope. Once in a while there was some news of someone from old cases getting medicals. Even this trickle kept the hopes alive but for the last one year, this too stopped. Fast Track were flying and old cases were grounded.
My kids in the meantime had reconciled to the fact that their father had lied to them and there will be no Canadian immigration. They also stopped believing in the fairness and justice tale. But I still kept hopes alive.
Then came a new policy. The new Fast Track. This time I read the news with fear in my mind.
Fearing the worst, I read through the article. But this time at last minister Kenney had
mentioned old applicants. I saw a ray of hope. I read about the three parallel schemes that will
run now and when I analysed, the gloom settled back. The new 29 list will have 20000
applications processed, that means 80,000 visas used up if average family size is 4.
Of the remainder, Fast Track and old applications will be processed in the same old fashion
without proper division of visas between them and as Fast Track applications are to be
processed in 12 months, I am afraid old applications will have to wait till all 38 List candidates
are in Canada before their processing even begins ! Already nearing 7 year wait, will it be worth
anything if it takes 3- 5 more years for immigration to come through. In the meantime, my
children will be through their education, sadly back in India , and their qualifications will not be
recognised in Canada. Without Canadian Education and no experience in any of the desirable
professions, they will end up driving cabs. Is it what we wanted to immigrate for ?
For the last year and half, Canadian High Commission - New Delhi is processing December
2003 cases, what will be the fate of 2007 applicants if processing goes on at this speed. I am
afraid Canadian High Commission will have to consider making old immigration applications
inheritable.
I on behalf of all other old scheme applicants I implore you to please see our plight and injustice
meted out to us. Please do whatever you can to get us justice in the form of faster processing of
our applications. I do understand Immigration is a privilege and not a right but we request you
make government follow the First come first serve doctrine.
Please do what you can to get us justice.
Yours Truly
A 2004 PR applicant from India. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 33343536>
  Share Topic