Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canadian Employment / Jobs > Canada Job Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Colored bond paper for resume

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dan2010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Colored bond paper for resume
    Posted: 03 Sep 2010 at 8:12am
In canadian resume style, is it acceptable to use colored papers for printing resumes? We often do this not for artistic sense but to give emphasis to one's resume to be easily noticed from a pile of resumes on the employer's desk. Not so bright colors though, just a shade other than plain white such as light powder blue, faded mint green,etc.

Edited by dan2010 - 03 Sep 2010 at 8:15am
ajgodinho View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ajgodinho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2010 at 8:41am
Hi Dan, in Canada, it's best to use brilliant white letter (heavyweight bond) paper, avoid using colored paper. The way to draw attention in today's market is by using relevant keywords in your resume and using a good format.

You will find that you will be sending resume more electronically than hard copy because most jobs you will apply online or via email. It's only during the interview that you would carry a hard copy.

If faxing a resume, don't use any colored or textured paper, just plain white paper.

You may find this Squidoo lens helpful: Helping New Immigrants Find Jobs in the GTA.

Hope this helps...all the best!

dan2010 View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dan2010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2010 at 9:22pm
Thanks, I kinda expected that.
nancygale12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nancygale12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2010 at 6:44am
Hey.....from my perception resume paper should be neutral & light in color & brilliant white linen paper always being useful or popular & always be careful for choosing color that should be representative.

Thanks

Regards
Nancy

Edited by Emad - 03 Dec 2010 at 4:11pm
resumeshop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote resumeshop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2010 at 10:26pm
Hello,

I agree with the previous advice. Unless you are seeking work as an artist, graphic designer or work in a specialized artistic field, stick with white paper. I would even use white paper for artistic fields. You will make your resume stand out by leaving enough white space between paragraphs, clearly indicating the different sections and by concisely indicating your relevant experience.

If you need assistance with your resume or cover letter, I am happy to help. I offer excellent service, guaranteed results, fast turnaround times and safe, convenient payment through PayPal.
Paul Azzopardi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Azzopardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2010 at 4:42am
Coloured paper would not go down well anywhere I dont believe. A crisp image and use of quality white bond paper is always best . just my opinion of course!
Job Coach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Job Coach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2010 at 9:59am

In the 90's it was common to use heavier stock paper and it wasn't uncommon to choose from 3 common neutrals, white, cream (off-white) or light grey.  In today's market, stick with white paper.  You will likely email your resume 90+% of the time, so the paper quality of hard copy resumes has dramatically reduced.  More important focus on ensuring you have good white space, an easy to read font (Arial, Helvetica, Times, Verdanda) and a good font size (11, or 12).

http://careego.com/ResumesLetters/ResumeDevelopment/tabid/98/language/en-CA/Default.aspx#
ksumon98 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksumon98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2010 at 4:13am
I agree with white. Yes it must be white and little heavier than regular offset paper.  No colour paper or shades on paper look more professional. Even the font of your resume should be formal like arial or times new roman. font size at least 12 pt. pages not more than 2... neat and clean format and most important to catch the eyes of recruiter are keywords in your resume and that must be related to the job you are applying for. Canadians follow some specific styles for resume. So please do some research on internet to follow the rules that is effective in Canadian  corporate culture. Hope this will help you. 
***** LINKS REMOVED BY MODERATOR *****
Job Coach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Job Coach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2011 at 9:22am

One place to start is using Scott's Directory 14 day free trial period to search by organizations through a NAICS code.  You can search via a location, industry, specialty of job etc.  You can also export the data to your own excel sheet. This would give you a starting place to search for organizations within your field of work and applying directly.

Not all on-line Canadian sites are mandatory for people to be already in Canada.
Try some of these other sites to locate opportunities:
www.workopolis.com
www.eluta.ca

Also try this site to gather more information.

ajgodinho View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ajgodinho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2011 at 11:50am
Yes, in most of the cases, jobs posted on job boards here in Canada are for Canadians, however, depending on the specialty of the job, they consider expats as well.

I put together an online resource to help new Canadian immigrants in where you will get valuable information on:

- How to go about looking for a job;
- An online tool called Working in Canada;
- Professional networking online;
- Interview Preparation Guide;
- List of agencies, best employers for new Canadians, etc.
- checklist for new Canadian immigrants;
- and much more.

Hope this helps...all the best to you!

Originally posted by syed2012 syed2012 wrote:

I am working in Agricultural business industry..in Brazil,  would like to know which would be the best way to send my CV to Canadian companies in the agricultural business area. Generally when we check job sites in Canada on the net, they require candidates that want to apply for a position to be Canadian or American. 

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic