Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canadian Employment / Jobs > Canada Job Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

RESUMES VS CV

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ajgodinho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2010 at 12:34pm
Hi SeaHorse, using some of these services can be beneficial depending on your situation. I'm out of the loop in terms of service providers in this area, so I would not be able to provide you any feedback on Immigration Point or any other service providers.

I did take a quick peek at their website and looks like they've been around for a few years now. Immigration.ca (who hosts these forums) also provides employment services. They are recognized by the Govt of Canada.

There are also some free services available as well, of course they may not be comparable to paid services. I've listed down here one of the free service providers called WoodGreens as well as you will find other valuable links to lists of employment agencies, best employers for new Canadians and more.

If you decided to go with a paid service, I would suggest checking at least 3 of them for comparison purposes, like services, benefits, cost, credibility, etc. and then making a decision. You can even post a separate thread to see if any of the forum members have used such services or can recommend credible ones.

Hope this helps...cheers! :)

Originally posted by SEA HORSE SEA HORSE wrote:

IN MISSISSAUGA THERE IS 'IMMIGRATION POINT': HEARD OF THEM? R THEY GOOD? SOMEBODY RECOMMENDED THEM FOR POST LANDING SERVICES LIKE EMPLOYMENT.
SEA HORSE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SEA HORSE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2010 at 4:37pm
THANX AJ. THIS WAS INDEED HELPFUL.
SEA HORSE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SEA HORSE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2010 at 5:05pm
WHAT IS THE MEDICAL LIKE? WHAT DO THEY CHECK U FOR?
ajgodinho View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ajgodinho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2010 at 5:59pm

WHAT IS THE MEDICAL LIKE? WHAT DO THEY CHECK U FOR?

Hi SeaHorse, in order to keep to the rules of this forum, I've answered your question here, given that this thread is specifically with regards to Resumes and CVs. Cheers! :)
SEA HORSE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SEA HORSE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2010 at 8:09am
SORRY GUYS, I'M NEW TO THE GAME. U KNOW HOW IT IS WITH MOST MEDICOS...........
ajgodinho View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ajgodinho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2010 at 10:37am

SORRY GUYS, I'M NEW TO THE GAME. U KNOW HOW IT IS WITH MOST MEDICOS...........

No problem, don't worry about it, Seahorse :)
SEA HORSE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SEA HORSE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2010 at 4:13pm
ONE MORE QUERY AJ: MY AGENT SENT ME THIS:

For post landing services, including pickup from the airport, accommodation- short term and long term and other services please contact Jenny at 'http://www.sunnynewcomer.com'

IT MENTIONS PICK UP CHARGES IN A 6-8 SEATER FROM AIRPORT AS $40-50 N ROOM RENT $650-780/MONTH. DO THEY SOUND REASONABLE TO YOU?
WHAT OTHER OPTION DOES ONE HAVE?

Originally posted by ajgodinho ajgodinho wrote:

You're welcome, Seahorse and you're right; in terms of being a medical professor, it falls under "unregulated". If you click on that link, it will give you some more detail from the Working in Canada website. Medical doctor is a "regulated" occupation.In terms of being a Medical Laboratory Technician, it shows as a "regulated" job (click the link for details) -- same with Chemists. Not sure if the job description fits that of a Biochemist, but may be you can check some of the occupations in that category to find out. There are some occupations in this field that are not regulated, doesn't list Biochemist specifically.In terms of your equivalency, you should be ok to start it without being too concerned about specific provinces. Major equivalencies are recognized Canada-wide. The agencies listed in my Squidoo page are specific to credential assessment only.In terms of a functional resume, the only difference when compared to a chrono resume, is that you don't list all your job duties for all the companies that you worked for in chronological order. Rather, you categorize your major job competencies in specific broad categories (for example, I would list down Compensation, Employee Relations, Payroll & Benefits, HR Management, etc. for an HR related job) to highlight your overall experience in a specific occupation. And in a separate section, you would list down a brief listing of the companies you worked for with name of the company, your position, and dates your worked there.Hope this makes sense! ;)AJ

THANX AJ GODINHO. U R A GR8 HELP INDEED. U R RIGHT DOCTORS FALL UNDER REGULATED PROFESSION. HOWEVER, I'M ALSO QUALIFIED TO TEACH IN MEDICAL COLLEGE. ALSO, BEING A BIOCHEMIST, I CAN WORK IN CLINICAL LABORATORY. I WAS TOLD THAT THOSE TWO FIELDS ARE UNREGULATED. I LOOKED UP SOME JOBS POSTED ON NET N SOME EMPLOYERS DIDN'T NEED LICENSING.
U MENTIONED IN SUIDOO WEBPAGE THAT EACH STATE HAS ITS OWN AGENCIES FOR EQUIVALENCE, BUT I DON'T KNOW YET AS TO WHERE I'LL LAND UP A JOB. DOES THIS MEAN THAT I WAIT UP TILL I GET A JOB? IF I GET EQUIVALENCE DONE BY 1 AGENCY, WILL IT BE VALID ALL OVER CANADA?
CAN U TELL ME A BIT ABOUT A 'FUNCTIONAL RESUME'?
ajgodinho View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ajgodinho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2010 at 11:38pm

ONE MORE QUERY AJ: MY AGENT SENT ME THIS:

For post landing services, including pickup from the airport, accommodation- short term and long term and other services please contact Jenny at 'http://www.sunnynewcomer.com'

IT MENTIONS PICK UP CHARGES IN A 6-8 SEATER FROM AIRPORT AS $40-50 N ROOM RENT $650-780/MONTH. DO THEY SOUND REASONABLE TO YOU?
WHAT OTHER OPTION DOES ONE HAVE?

Hi Seahorse, for the airport pickup that is a reasonable for a radius of approx. 25 to 30 kms.

With regards to the temporary accommodation, the cost seems reasonable as well. You may be able to find something cheaper, but the quality may not be good. Bear in mind that the above rate is for single accommodation, you'll pay a little more for couple accommodation.

Below are two other options (you can check for price comparison):

http://www.torontorooms4u.com/

http://www.safehomestay.com/

I don't personally know any of the above. What I would suggest you do is try and contact your agents and ask if they can negotiate a better price since you've used them. From the website you provided looks reasonable. But may be your agents can get a better deal.
SEA HORSE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SEA HORSE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2010 at 12:37pm
THANX MR. GODHINO.
WELL THAT TELLS ME CANADA IS EXPENSIVE.

Edited by Emad - 15 Nov 2010 at 12:46am
ksumon98 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksumon98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2010 at 12:35am
Definitely a resume and within 2 pages of length. But just keep in mind, in Canada having a huge networking with people is more than what a resume can do. In terms of job requirements and skills you will have nothing to do if you are qualified but someone having a better networking may get into the job easily. 

Try to learn more about internal hiring and job references in Canadian hiring culture.

Best of luck 

***** LINKS REMOVED BY MODERATOR *****
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic