Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Family Class Sponsorship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

U.S Tourist Visa for Canadian PR denied

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waverider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: U.S Tourist Visa for Canadian PR denied
    Posted: 26 Aug 2010 at 10:19am
Anyone have experience with this?

This is our second time applying for my husband (a PR who I sponsored, we are living in Canada together now) to get a tourist visa to visit the us (I think it is called a B2), as he is not from a visa expemt country.

The tourist visa is just for travel vacation purposes, and also he could book a flight with a U.S stopover when going back home, rather than paying for the more costly direct flights.

So he has been denied twice! He showed proof of my job and his, our apartment lease, etc, but they said they need more economic proof (I guess taxes I will show next time).

The first time he applied he had only been living in Canada less than 1 year and we found out later they rarely give them to PR who have lived here for less than a year.

Any advice on what sort of evidence we can use to have a sucessful application?

janimani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote janimani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2010 at 10:25am
Hi waverider,

My husband had been a PR for 10 months, when he applied for the US visa - and was denied.  The reason was that he didn't have strong enough ties to Canada (he took a letter from his work that said it was for vacation purposes).  The guy told him to come back next year. 

We're not going to apply again because in January he will be eligible for Canadian Citizenship - so won't need a visa.

When my husband went - he said they were rejecting everyone.  So I guess it's hard to get.

waverider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waverider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2010 at 10:51am
Hi Janimani,

Thanks for the reply. I had a coworker last year who got hers after being PR for about a year, though she didn't have a job at the time (she was volunteering at the university while waiting to get accepted to stufy). She said she just showed a letter from her husbands employer (and it wasn't that high paying of a job)!

I do think from seeing immgration cases of men vs. women that often women have an easier time (seems to be men are more likely to immigrate illegally to US or Canada for work and are thus under more suspicion)...

thanks for your response. Maybe we will try once more then wait for citizenship.

janimani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote janimani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2010 at 11:50am
I never thought of it as a man/women thing - but now that you mention it - it's probably true.  I am jsut tired of the whole immigration process - so at this point I no longer care. We'll jut wait a couple more months untill Citizenship time, and be done with it forever!
rbenoit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rbenoit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2010 at 1:23pm
My wife had no problem getting a US travel visa after being in Canada about 16 months.

For those of you who's husbands or wives are applying for travel visa in the US what was your status in Canada?
Were you a born Canadian citizen and sponsored your husband/wife to Canada? or
Were you a born outside Canada and then became a PR and then became a Canadian citizen and then sponsored your husband/wife to Canada? or
Where you a PR and sponsored your husband/wife to Canada as a PR?

I think the answer to this question might have a lot to do with the US visa denial.
I may be wrong but if you were born a Canadian citizen and your spouse is a sponsored PR they will have little or no problem getting a US Visa.

If you were born outside of Canada and came to Canada as a PR and then got citizenship or if you are still a PR in Canada and sponsored your spouse to Canada, you will have a much harder time getting a US Visa.
janimani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote janimani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2010 at 1:36pm
Actually -

I think that may not be the case.  I am a Canadian Citizen (born here) and sponsored my husband who is a PR.  He got denied.  I think it's the length of time the PR is in Canada - because basically the officer said that he didn't have strong enought ties to Canada even though we provided:

1) His job letter that outlied vacation time
2) My job letter
 and other documentation.

Who knows how they do it!
rbenoit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rbenoit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2010 at 1:46pm
Originally posted by janimani janimani wrote:

Actually -

I think that may not be the case.  I am a Canadian Citizen (born here) and sponsored my husband who is a PR.  He got denied.  I think it's the length of time the PR is in Canada - because basically the officer said that he didn't have strong enought ties to Canada even though we provided:

1) His job letter that outlied vacation time
2) My job letter
 and other documentation.

Who knows how they do it!

I have no doubt there are a lot of factors on their decisions.

Perhaps male/female gender does play a part.
Time spent in Canada after getting Canadian PR I am sure is taken in consideration.
I am certainly curious if the nationality of the Canadian PR's spouse has anything to do with it as well.

Cheers!!!
canvis2006 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canvis2006 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2010 at 1:46pm
It is a common misconception that being a PR of Canada automatically grants somebody a 'leniency' for visas to the US if they come from a country which is not visa-exempt.

With a world after 9/11, I would say that only go to US if absolutely absolutely necessary. If it is just a matter of flying out of US, just spend extra money and fly with peace of mind from Canadian airports.

Even if you do get a visa, US Immigration gives a tough time (questioning) even if all you're doing is changing flights in their country.

MajidS View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MajidS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2010 at 2:06pm
My wife was able to get a visit visa for the US after being here as a PR (myself sponsoring her) for only 7 months ...... There's a misconception about being a PR and acquiring US visit visa .... The Americans use the PR status as a deciding point, however, they also evaluate the applicant and the spouse from scratch .......

My case, wife is a home care giver and never worked .... Her entire case rested 100% on my credentials for job, salary, strong ties to Canada, history in Canada .... So, my only conclusion from our own personal experience is that the Americans approved my wife's application only and only based on my data .... Hope that helps ....
waverider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waverider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2010 at 9:07am
Originally posted by rbenoit rbenoit wrote:

My wife had no problem getting a US travel visa after being in Canada about 16 months.

I think the answer to this question might have a lot to do with the US visa denial.
I may be wrong but if you were born a Canadian citizen and your spouse is a sponsored PR they will have little or no problem getting a US Visa.

If you were born outside of Canada and came to Canada as a PR and then got citizenship or if you are still a PR in Canada and sponsored your spouse to Canada, you will have a much harder time getting a US Visa.

Thanks for the insight and different experiences; it always helps.

Rbenoit I am Canadian born and sponsored my husband (who is a PR and has been here for about 1.5 yr). So our case doens't fit with your theory but you never know!

The only thing I don't quite understand is why they are so stringent at this point with a PR who in about 17 months will be a Canadian Citizen who can enter the US without a visa. So, while they seem to be worried about illegal immigration to the US in my husbands case, he could just wait until he is a Citizen and then do it if it was what he really wanted....

I DO get a sense from hearing different stories that husbands and wives might incite different suspicions. Seems women are having an easier time getting the visa. I supplied work info from my job (good job and salary with a large multinational) for my husbands visa, but still they didn't grant the visa (he is also employed as well, and showed evidence)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic