Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Family Class Sponsorship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Financial Requirements

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abstractioness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Financial Requirements
    Posted: 22 Aug 2010 at 10:11pm
My boyfriend is sponsoring me as his common-law partner. However, he was unemployed (he had a hard time finding work after finishing his M.A.) until 5 months ago, and his job is part-time, so his income for the past 12 months (in response to the Q on the Sponsorship Evaluation form) is only around $6000, and he has only a few thousand in savings.

Now, I know that CIC states that the minimum income requirement is waived for a simple spousal application. But this guideline is ambiguous, because they ALSO say that the sponsor needs to show that he can honour his undertaking agreement to provide basic necessities, which would require an income of a lot more than my boyfriend's $6000.

So what gives? We're really worried that he'll get rejected as a sponsor for this reason.

Has anyone sponsored their spouse successfully on this amount of stated income or less, with no other financial resources to put down? Anyone have any advice?

Thanks!!

RobsLuv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobsLuv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2010 at 10:20pm
Minimum income requirements are waived for spousal and c/l sponsorships - period.  You may not know this but the Sponsorship Agreement, Sponsor's Evaluation and Application to Sponsor are all generic forms that are used for all types of sponsorship applications - even ones where a minimum income is required. 

Yes, spousal and c/l sponsors should at least be able to show that they're employed, but even unemployed sponsors have been approved (such as students).  Don't make assumptions about how much income would be required to honour the undertaking to provide basic necessities - the fact remains that regardless, there is no minimum income requirement for spousal sponsorships.  However (if you're in Canada with him now) be careful you don't put yourselves in a situation where you'll be financially stretched to the point that he has to apply for social assistance.  That will make him ineligible to sponsor.

Edited by RobsLuv - 22 Aug 2010 at 10:21pm
3/2007-applied
1/2008-Refused
12/2008-ADR failed
1/2010-Appeal allowed
4/2010-In Process(Again)
5/2010-request FBI/meds
8/2010-FBI recd
11/30/10-APPROVED!
1/31/11-LANDED!
abstractioness View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abstractioness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2010 at 10:31pm
Thanks for the quick reply. We definitely won't be going on welfare. Good point about the form being used for other types of sponsorship. I hadn't thought of that -- I was only thinking about Financial Evaluation form if dependents of dependents exist.

Do you think it would help to say that he's going to be a student again in September, i.e. to give an "excuse" for his part-time employment?
sami55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sami55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2010 at 12:45pm
I wrote the figures in (they were higher than yours)BUT I ALSO wrote that this is a spousal application and that the minimum income requirements should be waived.

an IO rejecting your case would be putting him/her self in a precarious position (of being vulnerable to an overturning appeal) especially where 1
the applicant has a strong projected and potential supportability.(like doctors in training for example)
2 all the other criteria are clearly met
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic