Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Skilled Worker / Independent Immigration
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How to prove freelance experience?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canadalover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to prove freelance experience?
    Posted: 22 Aug 2010 at 12:13am
Hi...
I have a serious problem..
I am working as a web developer on freelance basis...
I am going to apply for Quebec immigration, and I would like to know how can I prove my experience, and the hours that I work on freelance basis?

To give you more details, I get 90% of my income online from my clients..
So I can easily prove that I get paid online, from my debit card transactions history... could this be useful?

Also I win the projects online... so can I print these projects' pages from the websites that I get jobs from?

I want to know my chances for this!
Waiting for your answer urgently please, and thanks alot!

Edited by canadalover - 22 Aug 2010 at 12:14am
harry20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harry20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2010 at 12:40am
Hello,

Hope you are doing well. My self harry. I also work as a freelance web designer/developer. I am working since past 3 years as a freelancer. I applied in march 2004. There is nothing to worry about if you are working as freelancer. You can show your records, like bank statements, records of payment that you receive from third party websites like paypal, moneybookers etc. I had worked for more then 8 years for different companies and finally decided to start my own venture.

Also, you can get experience certificates or reference letters from your clients with whom you have worked. I managed to get it from all of them and have submitted to embassy. My lawyer has told that it should not be a problem in getting visa. However, i would suggest to consult some well known immigration consultant who can guide you much better.

let me know if you need more information.
you can visit my website: www.thenetgurus.com

Gud day.
cheers
harry

Originally posted by canadalover canadalover wrote:

Hi...
I have a serious problem..
I am working as a web developer on freelance basis...
I am going to apply for Quebec immigration, and I would like to know how can I prove my experience, and the hours that I work on freelance basis?

To give you more details, I get 90% of my income online from my clients..
So I can easily prove that I get paid online, from my debit card transactions history... could this be useful?

Also I win the projects online... so can I print these projects' pages from the websites that I get jobs from?

I want to know my chances for this!
Waiting for your answer urgently please, and thanks alot!
canadalover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canadalover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2010 at 12:48am
Hi Harry...
I hope you are doing well, and thank you so much for your prompt response.
I checked out your website, and you really look like a professional guy... :)

I have a debit card where I receive payments, and I can show a history of transactions to them.
I just need help about proving how many hours I worked?

You know that they count how many hours you worked, and it's very important to count experience time...

So do you have any idea about how can I arrange that?
Waiting for your answer, and thank you so much.
And I really feel good now that I can apply with my freelance experience..

Edited by canadalover - 22 Aug 2010 at 12:49am
harry20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harry20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2010 at 1:05am
Hi,

Thank you for your reply and kind words. It will be very difficult to track how many hours have you worked for each of your client. So the best option is try to get reference letter from each of your client on there original letter head via mail. Not email or scan copy, i mean original hard copies which they can send via mail service. I got it from all of my client. At least 15 of them gave me. I believe you must be on good terms with your clients and still in touch with old ones with whom you worked.

Also, you mentioned that you are getting job from online websites. I believe they must be elance, scriptlance, GAF etc. I am sure many of your client must have given you reviews on completion of there work. So you can send that link to embassy which itself is a solid proof. You can check my profile on Scriptlance as i have got more then 52 reviews. I was at one time on top 10 on SL. But now i am getting continuous work from my old clients and kinda slow in bidding on projects.

If possible, try to get certificates and reference letters from your clients on there letter head, which should have there phone number, email id and website if any. Your clients can also mention the number of hours that you have worked in the letter. Embassy can directly call them if they want to confirm that you worked with that client. You can mention your clients about this as well in advance.

Cheers
harry

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canadalover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2010 at 1:13am
Thank you again for your prompt great response...
Yes I work on both elance and gaf...
I don't have reviews because I don't accept payments through them, but I ask my clients to send payments directly to paypal.. Big smile

I thought about reference letters with mention how many hours I worked.. specially that I am using project tracking tools to see how many hours I worked (very useful btw)...
But does it have to be sent via snail mail? what about scanned copy via email? does it have to be original? This is very hard... :(

Also.. what about printing out the pages of the projects that I won.. to prove that I worked on it?

Thank you so much again for helping out...
where do you reside in Canada now? Shocked

Originally posted by harry20 harry20 wrote:

Hi,

Thank you for your reply and kind words. It will be very difficult to track how many hours have you worked for each of your client. So the best option is try to get reference letter from each of your client on there original letter head via mail. Not email or scan copy, i mean original hard copies which they can send via mail service. I got it from all of my client. At least 15 of them gave me. I believe you must be on good terms with your clients and still in touch with old ones with whom you worked.

Also, you mentioned that you are getting job from online websites. I believe they must be elance, scriptlance, GAF etc. I am sure many of your client must have given you reviews on completion of there work. So you can send that link to embassy which itself is a solid proof. You can check my profile on Scriptlance as i have got more then 52 reviews. I was at one time on top 10 on SL. But now i am getting continuous work from my old clients and kinda slow in bidding on projects.

If possible, try to get certificates and reference letters from your clients on there letter head, which should have there phone number, email id and website if any. Your clients can also mention the number of hours that you have worked in the letter. Embassy can directly call them if they want to confirm that you worked with that client. You can mention your clients about this as well in advance.

Cheers
harry
harry20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harry20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2010 at 1:42am
I wish i was in canada right now buddy.Smile  i am still waiting for my visa call.

You have mentioned that you wanted to apply as skilled working under quebec immigration law. They seem to be different from Federal Skilled Worker.

check this both links
http://www.immigration-quebec.gouv.qc.ca/en/index.html
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/quebec/index.asp

hope this helps

Originally posted by canadalover canadalover wrote:

Thank you again for your prompt great response...
Yes I work on both elance and gaf...
I don't have reviews because I don't accept payments through them, but I ask my clients to send payments directly to paypal.. Big smile

I thought about reference letters with mention how many hours I worked.. specially that I am using project tracking tools to see how many hours I worked (very useful btw)...
But does it have to be sent via snail mail? what about scanned copy via email? does it have to be original? This is very hard... :(

Also.. what about printing out the pages of the projects that I won.. to prove that I worked on it?

Thank you so much again for helping out...
where do you reside in Canada now? Shocked

Hi,

Cheers
harry
harry20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harry20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2010 at 1:46am
check this out

http://www.form.services.micc.gouv.qc.ca/epi/index.jsp?languageCode=en

its free evaluation.. you will know the outcome..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canadalover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2010 at 1:51am
Thank you sooooooo much for your great and continued help... I do appreciate it indeed!
And I really wish for you to get in Canada ASAP...

I already prepared the forms, and I calculated my points... and collected all the required documents... and even paid for the check..
Just the only remaining is the certificate experience.. and that's what I need to solve.. but I see a hope there. :D

Last question... can you provide me with an example of reference letter? So I would start sending it out to my clients.. to fill it for me..

Thank you again so much... I will pray for you to be in Canada soon!Tongue

check this out

http://www.form.services.micc.gouv.qc.ca/epi/index.jsp?languageCode=en

its free evaluation.. you will know the outcome..
harry20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harry20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2010 at 2:02am
Please check your forum mail box.

Hope that helps. and thanks for the wishes. wish you luck and hope you succeed in your immigration process. Wink

cheers
harry

rickyy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rickyy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2011 at 6:11pm
Hi folks,

I was wondering about the same problem, then I found this thread from google search. I also read other posts saying things like perhaps it wouldn't count to add to the points.

How is it going on? Have you gotten the permanent residency then successfully? (Did the officials approve the freelance programming jobs as work experiences for the skilled worker immigration type, too?)

Thank you
Hope things went well for you
Ricky

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic