Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Family Class Sponsorship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Background checks

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britincanada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Background checks
    Posted: 21 Aug 2010 at 12:06am
CHC-London requested my RPRF Monday, so I am thinking the next step in my application is my Medicals and Background check?? What exactly do Immigration check? Obviously the routinely check criminal records and dealings with any criminals and such like, do they check credit scores, employment, election rolls, County Courts, do credit checks etc?

What if you have a County Court Judgement that has not been paid? Would that go against me? My Police Check came back "No Trace"
App received by CPC-M 1/06/10
Sponsorship approved 29/06/10
In Process 15/07/2010
VISA & PP Recvd 22/09/10
LANDED 29/09/10
ELIGIBLE TO BECOME CITIZEN 4/11/2012
audball View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote audball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2010 at 12:55am
I think they just do a check in london's system and the RCMP system to look for anything which may have happened during processing.

Otherwise, I think you're okay as long as nothing new happened in the meantime. Idk, you should know if you may have issues. :P

You should be fine. Try to RELAX, Hazel!!!
britincanada View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britincanada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2010 at 8:33am
Thanks Audball,

I feel so Close..yet still so far away!! Confused I just found this in an OP manual for Spouse PR

Right of Permanent Residence Fee

You will need to pay the Right of Permanent Residence Fee before your spouse or common-law partner’s application for permanent resident status can be finalized. We will send you a request to pay this fee when we are ready to grant permanent resident status to your spouse or common-law partner. The fee is $490 for your spouse or common-law partner. Dependent children are exempt.

I have generally been a good citizen, I have never been involved in any Criminal activities or been any kind of security risk! Big smile
In Process 15/07/2010
VISA & PP Recvd 22/09/10
LANDED 29/09/10
sami55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sami55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2010 at 9:16am
RELAX
TAKE IT EASY
YOU ARE OK
YOU WILL BE FINE

I believe they do not do a credit check

and all the main fundamental major criteria have been passed

some criteria are straight knock out ones ...you are well beyond that .

I am in the same situation.

UKtoCAN View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UKtoCAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2010 at 9:21pm
County court judgement is not part of it, so i am sure you will be fine and dont panic Brit, Dont Panic, I told you from day one. Well the only holdback is once they get your payment then you are ok to get your PR, I understand and read on another forum on this. They wont let you pay PR fees and reject you. Background checks have already been done.
Good luck
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2010 at 1:07am
Odds are all is done if the Right of Permanent Residence Fee is requested . . . that fee must be paid before the "visa" is issued. I don't think they ask for it to be paid unless and until they are ready to issue the visa.

Many (if not most) pay that fee up front and never see such a request.

Just a sidenote: someone suggested that they do not do "credit checks" -- no idea whether that is strictly true or not, but I'd bet a lot they do conduct something comparable to a credit check. Not to check credit though, but to pull up public information on a person's address and work history. But by the time the Right of Permanent Residence Fee is requested, that should all be well past done.
Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
britincanada View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britincanada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2010 at 9:31am
Thanks every one, I am trying to relax but finding it difficult...I want to tell myself we have done it and that everything is ok...but I know that its not all over until I have landed...hopefully soon..My Police certificate expires on 28th October...Confused So please God I get my Passport with Visa in it before then!

We have spent 5 years with me pretending for 4 1/2 of it that I am living a "normal"life..in truth with the exception of the 6 months I went home if have felt like my life has been on hold..and I personally think my Husband deserves a medal for all his hard work supporting us all for all this time!! We have all made so many sacrifices..Kids including...there are so many times we have had to disappoint them and so many things we haven't been able to buy them or do with them..especially the boys! I just want it to be over and to live a "normal life" and feel like I really belong in Canada!  
In Process 15/07/2010
VISA & PP Recvd 22/09/10
LANDED 29/09/10
sami55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sami55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2010 at 11:40am
Yes depenabill did write elswhere they do a SORT of credit check TYPE of background search and I agree with that
but I very much doubt if the odd small ccj is a major knock out issue.

where it would perhaps cause potential set backs is if it throws up serious money laundering, LEVEL OF serious financial irresponsibility.
and the applicant (in this case, Hazel,BRIT)would know about it.
it would be interesting to hear from others who know about someone who has gone through PR processing even though they had two or more ccjs...
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2010 at 5:03am
Generally police certificates do not expire like the medical exam; what matters is that a timely certificate is submitted with the application.

That said, renewed police certificates can be requested at any time. For some countries in which processing the application takes a year or so, it is common to request a current police certificate before a visa is actually issued. For anyone who has been in Canada during the process, however, it is very unlikely that there would be a request for an updated police certificate. For applicants from countries like the UK, moreover, an electronic database query is ordinarily adequate once a police certificate has become part of the file -- and indeed, as I have oft said, I believe the electronic query of databases for criminal records is routinely done at perhaps every decision making stage of the process . . . when they make a decision, when they go to finally issue the visa and affix it to the passport, and when the applicant actually lands as well.

But bottom line, especially for someone from the UK, and more so for someone who has been in Canada while the app was in process, the police certificate will not "expire" and there is very little likelihood of a more timely police certificate being requested.

If have sent in the proof of paying the Right of Landing Fee, this will undoubtedly all be done a lot, lot sooner than the end of October.    
Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
sami55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sami55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2010 at 12:51pm
Brit does not need to worry too much about this as her police cert has not thrown up anything to be overly concerned about..

yes, while the police certificate does not have expiry date on it, it does contain the issue date.... and it deals with a time sensitive matter (like the bank statement) so it cannot be valid for ever.Anything over 6 months old would be a concern.

There is an implicit date of validity for it, bit like the bank statement.
when I landed at the canada airport I showed the IO my bank statement that was about 1 month old and he was furious....he said i want to see yesterdays date on it...thats how strict he was.in the end he accepted my documents though.
I had had a UK police cert that was issued end of April 2009 in uk but when I applied for PR in FEB 2010 (just over 9 months later) I applied for new police cert as I feel I should submit a more recent one (WITHIN 6 MONTHS) even though I was here in Canada since the last was issued.

This post was about credit check.. and crdit problems are mostly TORT, civil category and are not likely to show up on criminal searches.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic