Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Preserving Permanent Residence Status
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Applying for new PR Card; No primary documents

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rt1306 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Applying for new PR Card; No primary documents
    Posted: 13 Aug 2010 at 11:16pm
I want to apply a PR card for my father but all the documents he does have is the Record of Landing.  He came to Canada in 1979 and does not have a passport of his nationality nor any identity document from his home country. 

I don't know if he's even a Permanent Residence as I have no idea what defines that.  Regardless, is there any alternative document that I can use to apply for a PR Card?  I see I can write a statutory declaration but I have no idea how that looks.

Much appreciated in advance for any suggestions.
rt1306 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rt1306 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2010 at 12:16pm
Is anyone able to help me?  I thought I could get some help because this seems like an active forum.  Suggestions please
pmm View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2010 at 2:24pm
Hi

Originally posted by rt1306 rt1306 wrote:

I want to apply a PR card for my father but all the documents he does have is the Record of Landing.  He came to Canada in 1979 and does not have a passport of his nationality nor any identity document from his home country.  I don't know if he's even a Permanent Residence as I have no idea what defines that.  Regardless, is there any alternative document that I can use to apply for a PR Card?  I see I can write a statutory declaration but I have no idea how that looks.Much appreciated in advance for any suggestions.

1. What happened to his passport that he originally came to Canada?\
2. If you don't have that then you follow the instructions for completing a statutory declaration from some one who knew prior to his coming to Canada.
3. You can expect to have to supply proof that you father has been living in Canada.
4. His proof of permanent resident status is his record of landing, the IMM 1000.
PMM
rt1306 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rt1306 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2010 at 8:02pm
Hi PMM,

1.  In 1979, he lost his passport, meaning he hasn't left Canada since for vacation or anything.
2.  How does a statutory declaration look like?  Can it be written by a family member?
3.  Well any idea what kind of info he needs to provide?  Notice of assessment? 
4.  Okay great...so he is a PR...he just needs a PR card to leave the country?
pmm View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2010 at 8:34pm
Hi

Hi PMM,1.  In 1979, he lost his passport, meaning he hasn't left Canada since for vacation or anything.2.  How does a statutory declaration look like?  Can it be written by a family member?3.  Well any idea what kind of info he needs to provide?  Notice of assessment?  4.  Okay great...so he is a PR...he just needs a PR card to leave the country?

1. See: http://wiki.lawdepot.com/wiki/Affidavit_and_Statutory_Declaration_FAQ_-_Canada they explain it better than I can.
2. The family member can write it, if they knew prior to emigration.
3. Notice of assessment for the pass 3/4 years would show that he was in Canada.
4. No, he needs the PR card to enter Canada, as well as a passport.
PMM
rt1306 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rt1306 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2010 at 9:21pm
Thanks PMM, it says I need to get a qualified official who can administer an oath.  Any idea where I can find such a person?
pmm View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2010 at 10:16pm
Hi

Thanks PMM, it says I need to get a qualified official who can administer an oath.  Any idea where I can find such a person?

Any lawyer, any Commissioner of Oaths, most Notary Publics are comissioners.
PMM
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic