Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Family Class Sponsorship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Temporary Residency vs Permanent

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hehasmyheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Temporary Residency vs Permanent
    Posted: 12 Aug 2010 at 11:38pm

I have a question for anyone that can help me.  Is there such a thing as Applying for sponsorship and Temporary Residency instead of Permanent Residency???  My husband is Canadian and we are still filling out our sponsorship application but he may retire with the military within the next 2 years (maybe even sooner), and we have decided to Move to Texas after he retires and making our home there.  So Me being from the US and here on visitor status for 6 months, cant I just do a Temporary Residency?  I would appreciate anyone that can help us on this thank you.Smile

admissiblebrit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote admissiblebrit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2010 at 1:20am
No all you can keep doing is extending your visitor status. But 2 years of doing this could potentially raise some questions from CIC. It's visitor visa or perm res since ur from US file your application for PR there it'll process faster then you can stay here. And alot can change in 2 years always better to leave your options open
Patience Tuesday View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patience Tuesday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2010 at 1:27am
Hello, hehasmyheart! 

Regretfully there is no such thing as a "Temporary Residency" of this nature. 
It's either you come to Canada as a Visitor and apply for extensions on your Visitor's status (at $75 CND a pop) or pursue sponsorship.

Pros for extensions only:
1 You don't have to fill out those endless, seemingly hellish forms. 
2 You don't have to deal with medicals, fingerprints, or anything related to working on your or your children's 'accompanying' or 'non-accompanying' anything.
3 It's less expensive.
4 If you're able to move your husband to the United States in two years or less, you don't even have to worry about getting your next PR card.

Cons:
1 You will be a Visitor only: unable to have health care, not able to work and unable to volunteer unless it's an 'approved' volunteer position. 
2 There's no guarantee that you're going to be approved for said extension.  Each time you re-apply, it's a whole new extension.  Not as routine as some suggest.  "Exploring a relationship" is okay for common law folk when explaining their extension, however I don't think that would fly for a wedded couple.  You'd have to write something convincing to let them know that you have a legitimate reason for staying in Canada, and also why you're not pursuing sponsorship, I'd imagine.

In the end, it's totally up to you, of course.  IMHO however, I'd look at sponsorship again.  In two years you may indeed see that you're all safe and happy in the States again.  It may be that you get thrown a curveball or two and find that you're still living in Canada on a Visitor's Visa extension for the fifth or sixth time and CIC won't now renew. 

Sure, it's more work.  Yes, it's costly.  In the end though, you have to decide whether it's price is WORTH or COST to you.  If you find that this is overwhelming and you just want an easy out, hey, I've been there.  ^^  My man was so stressed about the whole thing when we started he said, "Let's just skip the border and we both live in Mexico!"  LOL
This is do-able, hehasmyheart.  Even for two years, it may be worth it.  Give it two weeks, look at the forms again, lurk on the forums, and see what questions you really have towards this. 

Wishing you all the best,

H.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic