Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Canadian Citizenship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

200 refugees coming to Vancouver.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lupo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 200 refugees coming to Vancouver.
    Posted: 11 Aug 2010 at 9:03pm
Does anyone think that once the 200 refugees from Sri Lanka will be here, the normal process application will be affected?. It seem they are gonna put them in Maple Ridge "Jail", but I make a bet the whole Immigration process will be processed by the Vancouver Immigration Office,(at least half of officers will be on those cases)
Sent: May 7, 2009| E-cas "Received": October 21, 2009| In Process: November 4, 2009| Transferred: December 9, 2009 | Test: April 30, 2010 |
canvis2006 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canvis2006 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2010 at 9:12pm
the refugee system here is a joke, anyone coming on a ship knows this,they come and claim asylum and become PRs and citizens,wheras the Aussies always turn the boats away from their waters, Canada has no balls to do that because the MPs are afraid of losing the votes of communities
Lupo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lupo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2010 at 9:26pm
Ok, I understand that, but my question remain, will be affected in any way the process on (Vancouver) citizenship files? I believe yes :(((
canvis2006 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canvis2006 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2010 at 11:08am
It should not affect the 'citizenship' division of vancouver. Remember first those people will be dealing with IRB, and the process takes a long time so no cause to worry
frankie View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frankie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2010 at 11:30am
I'm proud that Canada doesn't turn away potential refugees like Australia does. I'm proud that Canada will at least give people a chance to prove their case as true refugees before judging them. Yes, it costs taxpayers money to give them lodging and other benefits while they are waiting for their cases to be evaluated, and maybe this creates a bit more burden on the immigration system to process these additional cases and maybe this will impact ordinary cases like ours, but put yourself in the place of these people who have been through a horrible experience and have left many loved ones behind.
App Rec'd Jun 2/09; Started Processing Feb 27/10; Trans. to Calgary Mar 23/10; FP to RCMP Mar 31/10; Test - Nov 23/10; Oath - Nov 23/10.
Beaver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2010 at 12:27pm

I have no problem with people who became refugees because their lives are really in danger if they stayed in their country. The problem is not all of the so-called refugees are genuine, and many know about how easy it is to avail for refugee status in Canada, so that gives them assurances that being caught would not immediately mean instant deportation. Anybody who will be caught trying to enter illegally (or have entered illegally) can just ask for refugee status and they get a temporary free pass, and a chance to become PR's. As "wonderful" as Canada's refugee system is, it is not immune to abuse.

Just a tongue-in-cheek comment: I think it will be more beneficial for us Canadian Citizens to seek refugee status in Canada when we retire, because refugees get more money out of pensions without paying a single cent than Old-Age pensioners who contributed all their working lives to the pension system. I know that will not work anyways. LOL 
m1005 View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1005 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2010 at 1:48pm
The Komagata Maru, a Japanese ship that sailed from Hong Kong to Shanghai, China; Yokohama, Japan; and then to Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, carried 376 passengers from Punjab, India. The passengers were not allowed to land in Canada and the ship was forced to return to India. The passengers consisted of 340 Sikhs, 24 Muslims, and 12 Hindus, all British subjects. This was one of several incidents involving exclusion laws in Canada and the United States designed to keep out immigrants of Asian origin...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Komagata_Maru_Incident
mtllog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtllog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2010 at 1:58pm
Komagata Maru happenned almost 100 years ago.
Rec'd -Nov 18, 2009/ Ecas-Apr 07/ Letter-Mar 26, 2010, /in process Sep 30 2010 /Transfer - Dec 14 2010 /Test-Feb. 1 2011/ Oath-May 11 2011/
frankie View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frankie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2010 at 2:38pm
Thanks mtllog.

Canada's immigration policy has significantly changed since 1914 when the Komagata Maru incident happenned. Let's stick to current policy, which, though not perfect, is much more tolerant than many countries today.

App Rec'd Jun 2/09; Started Processing Feb 27/10; Trans. to Calgary Mar 23/10; FP to RCMP Mar 31/10; Test - Nov 23/10; Oath - Nov 23/10.
goodmoment View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goodmoment Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2010 at 5:33pm
I think it is unfair to us, but fair to those.. lets leave it like that.. we can never say anything unless we have been in their shoes..
CPC received: Jan 4 2010
ECAS: July 23
Letter: Aug 6
In Process: Oct 9
Transferred: Dec 9
Fingerprints: Dec 16
Test: Jan 31 2011
Oath: Mar 16 9:30AM
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic