Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Preserving Permanent Residence Status
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tricky timelines bad husband please help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Betrayed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tricky timelines bad husband please help
    Posted: 11 Aug 2010 at 4:59pm
Hi,

I came to Canada with the promise of Love. I came here for the first time on March 2009. Met live who now is my Husband. We got engaged. I went back to Mexico sold everything, quit my job and left all my family and friends. We got Married on Sept 2009. Our Marriage was good, happy and normal. We loved each other. 
By March 2010 we submitted all papers for him to Sponsor my PR. It is August 2010. PR news are soon to be received.... 

But now, he just said. "I dont love you anymore go back to Mexico".  

My thoughts were:       WHATTTShocked!!!!!!!!!???????????

So now: I dont have a loving Husband, Whats gonna happen to my Residency Status? Ive been here for over a Year, I havent been able to work or go back to Mexico to see my Family.

He is the one that wants a Divorce!!!!!!!!!! the Sponsor, my Canadian Husband.

Aside of the sadness and depression I have because of the word "Divorce"Cry.... aside all that.... now I am in the Limbo. My life is now here, I can just go back to Mexico... is that my only option?

Applying for PR as skilled worker is going to take more time. I have been unemployed for over 1 year and half... He is kicking me out of our place and I cant even work!!  :( I feel betrayed, alone, lied and helpless.

what now?
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2010 at 11:56pm
The pain and difficulty of your circumstance is obvious.

Your options are, however, limited. Very limited. Immigration wise your options are virtually non-existent. Without status, you will indeed soon need to leave Canada. There are few alternatives. There may be, though not likely to succeed in the long run, things like refugee status.

As a spouse you may have some recourse in the domestics relations law. You are entitled, for example, to half the value of the marital home in most Provinces. You should probably see a lawyer who handles divorces and domestic relations law generally, the sooner the better. The recourse available through this will mostly be economic and temporary, some assistance in making this difficult transition. No help immigration wise.

Entering into a marriage, like getting into any partnership, entails risks; one is always betting on their partner's good faith. How much a risk varies. For international relationships the risks are of course significantly greater.

At least in Canada, if the relationship breaks down (and so very many relationships do break down) after the foreign national has "landed" and become a PR, the PR can choose to stay or return to their home country. In the U.S. the marriage has to last two full years (I think that is the cutoff), and if it breaksdown in less than two years, status to stay in the U.S. is lost (even if the breakdown was an untimely accidental death, no divorce) and the person must return to their home country.

I am sorry your life has taken this unpleasant and difficult turn. I hope you find your way through these hard times.
Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
Betrayed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Betrayed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2010 at 1:20am
Thank you for your kind words and the trouble of  replying.
I guess my life has been decided for me now, in so many ways.

It hurts.... a lot.

ciao
Harmonia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harmonia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2010 at 12:19pm
I agree with dpenabil -- see a laywer right away.  Know your rights, and know what you are entitled to.

I'm truly sorry that you are going through this.

Edited by Harmonia - 12 Aug 2010 at 12:21pm
Citizenship App Sent: December 2012
Betrayed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Betrayed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2010 at 2:29pm
Thank you for your time and advice.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic