Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Canadian Citizenship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Top Reasons for being Canadian PR or Citizen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vbpatel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Top Reasons for being Canadian PR or Citizen.
    Posted: 10 Aug 2010 at 9:14am

As we see everybody is unhappy & frustrated about CIC & Govt. working system but still We all desperately waiting to become PR & after that Citizen, so got a thought in mind to start a new thread to know..

WHAT ARE THE TOP REASONS THAT YOU WANT TO BE PR OR CANADIAN CITIZEN?

Edited by vbpatel - 10 Aug 2010 at 3:36pm
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2010 at 3:09pm
Well, first, I am not unhappy nor frustrated with CIC. Not unhappy with or frustrated about the Canadian government. I come from a country to which, in contrast, Canada is more or less (recognizing that there are some flaws) a dream come true. Really.

I should also acknowledge that I am not waiting to become a PR. I have been a PR for more than a year and a half now. I became a PR pretty much on schedule, on a reasonable time line. I am waiting to become a Citizen. I am looking forward to becoming a Canadian citizen. Very much so!

Why?

There are way too many reasons to go into much detail in one post. Let me say this: I was reluctant to seek PR status, let alone citizenship, for a long time despite the amount of time I was spending in Canada, despite the increasing ties I had to Canada, but in full recognition of the taxation disadvantages I would incur if I did become a bona fide resident of Canada. My reason were selfish. I could (or at least had been allowed to) spend lots and lots of time in this wonderful country, without having to "settle down" here and pay the kind of taxes a country like this needs to impose in order to function. I preferred the American approach: pay as little as possible, take as advantage as much as possible. Things change. Circumstances change. Attitudes at the border have been changing.

It was either stop spending so much time in Canada or make it official. OK. My then gf decided she really wanted me around (sometimes she suggests she might think differently these days), so she married me and sponsored me. I said "yes" as in "I do" and now I am, as in I am paying a lot, lot more in taxes.

But, in the meantime I have had time to reflect on the whole thing, on the context, on what it means to be a Canadian, and what it means to pay for being a Canadian. And, despite the thousands of dollars more it takes out of my pocket, yeah, really yeah I am happy to be a PR, I am very much tickled to be living in Canada, really living in Canada, and looking forward to the day I can become a Canadian citizen. I have entertained the prospect of living in a number of place in the world. Canada is the only one I would consider as the place I really want to say to "I live there," and for sure the only other country in the world I would like to become a citizen of. For me, "this is the place,", no doubt about it.
Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
happytaz View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote happytaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2010 at 3:57pm
Hi,

The reasons why I'm now a Canadian citizen :

#1 : I love Canada enough to consider It is my new home.

#2 : I sometime felt that being a PR is being a 2nd class citizen. (i.e federal/provincial jobs are given in priority to Canadian citizen, at the airport/customs/immigration you have to do the lineup with tourists for hours....).

#3 : No need to renew the PR card. it's an hassle because CIC is too slow to process the applications. Plus you have to pay for it each time.

#4 : My future children and I will have the same citizenship.

# 5 : If one day my parents get sick I can leave Canada without being worried it will jeopardize my PR status ( or any other event which will make me leave the country).

#6 : I can go to the States without being considered as a threat.

Edited by happytaz - 10 Aug 2010 at 6:20pm
Sent: April 7 2009 | Received: September 21 2009 |In Process: October 29 2009 | Transferred: December 7 2009 | Test : April 22 2010| Oath : July 1 2010
canvis2006 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canvis2006 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2010 at 7:41pm
Agree with Happytaz on those,plus:

-to have and be entitled to being treated as a human being with rights
-Freedom to visit EU without applying for visas,avoid documentation
-No worry of not being able to get back to Canada safely
-Visiting US I won't need to be fingerprinted and registered under nseers
-Access to federal govt jobs
-be a citizen of one of the most resourceful and diverse countries of the world
-no need for status renewal or deal with immigration
(quickly out of airport/customs)
vbpatel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vbpatel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2010 at 8:01pm
Great going guys somewhat same as MY thoughts.. want to add some more..

# right to speak

# right to reject doing something forcefuly

# funny but true.. when you go backhome you will be treated as special. lol

# medical benifits

# retirement benifits even if you didnt work in canada!!

# no need to bribe anybody to get your work done

# your kids school fees & other benifits will be paid by govt. for fixed years

Edited by vbpatel - 10 Aug 2010 at 8:01pm
m1005 View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1005 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2010 at 12:33pm
If the purpose of this thread was to get some criticism in, here you are. I can understand and agree with many items above, but disagree with some other.

"#2 : I sometime felt that being a PR is being a 2nd class citizen" - never felt this in Canada, even before getting PR

"#4 : My future children and I will have the same citizenship" - for citizens of most of countries this happens anyway regardless of place of birth

"#6 : I can go to the States without being considered as a threat" - not true. They will consider anybody a threat, including their own citizens, based primarily on origin, religion etc.

"Access to federal govt jobs" - would never come to a foreign country for that

"be a citizen of one of the most resourceful and diverse countries of the world" - doubtful

"# funny but true.. when you go backhome you will be treated as special. lol" - well, in some countries it would not be beneficial at all, not only in relations with authorities, but I would hesitate to disclose the fact of the 2nd citizenship to friends and even to some relatives. Bad for employment too, nothing to be much proud of.

"# medical benefits" - extremely doubtful (and not related to citizenship)

"# retirement benefits" - extremely doubtful (and not related to citizenship)

"# your kids school fees & other benifits will be paid by govt. for fixed years" - very doubtful (and not related to citizenship)
Shan786 View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shan786 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2010 at 3:50pm
Confused

Edited by Shan786 - 12 Aug 2010 at 1:23am
happytaz View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote happytaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2010 at 7:34pm
m1005,

I have a question for you : Do you like Canada ? In have a doubt when I read your answer. Tongue

Everybody has his/her reason to choose or not to be a PR or a citizen. The reasons I gave are based on my life/situation. There is no good, bad or doubtful answer.

For example : My boyfriend is Canadian (borned in Canada). We are planning to have kids soon. I know this sounds weird but it is really important for me that my kids and I have the same citizenship. In this case 2 citizenships since my birth country accept dual citizenships. Yeah it's not a question of life and death but still it is important for me.

Another example about federal jobs : I did not plan to move to Canada to work for the government. However their are very interesting job opportunities with the federal & provincial governments. You can't blame immigrants to apply for these jobs mainly if it is related to their education.

I like this thread. It is very interesting.

Sent: April 7 2009 | Received: September 21 2009 |In Process: October 29 2009 | Transferred: December 7 2009 | Test : April 22 2010| Oath : July 1 2010
vbpatel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vbpatel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2010 at 8:46pm

m1005 I guess you didnt read the question! it's PR & Citizenship.. if you read that before you would save your time in pointing out many things as mistakes.. lol Tongue nevermind there is always a next time.. LOL

vbpatel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vbpatel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2010 at 8:49pm
well that has reasons... don't want to mention here due to diplomatic reason.. I might dont need to mention if you remember 911..

Originally posted by Shan786 Shan786 wrote:

m1005, i agree and to add in your #6, Canadian Citizenship doesn't matter to them (US), they will treat you according to your birth place, for me being south asian they would still ask for finger prints and other security clearance even if i hold Canadian passport. So no benefits there!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic