Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Family Class Sponsorship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Newbie questions :)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote destanova Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Newbie questions :)
    Posted: 10 Aug 2010 at 12:46am
I have JUST started the immigration paperwork for family class as a spouse. I'm an American seeking to move to the Toronto area. My fiancé and I are getting married in November, so I thought I'd get an early jump. I've been scouring the forums looking for information as I get started on the paperwork and odds and ends here and there. I have a few questions though:

1.) When form IMM0008 E Generic asks for details of family members, what family members must be included as I am the only one seeking PR in Canada? I'm guessing that it's just my info, but I'd rather ask than to make a mistake!

2.) Form IMM 5490 asks if my sponsor (spouse) and I gave each other gifts. Is this asking for gifts given for birthdays, Christmas, etc?

3.) I am about to send in my paperwork for my FBI clearance. On the cover page, it asks for a "Reason for Request". When I initially filled out the form, I just put "Family class immigration to Canada". Now I'm wondering if there's a specific answer for this question?

Thank you for the help. I KNOW there's going to be a lot more where those came from!

Cheers,
Brandi
audball View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote audball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2010 at 8:40am
Family members are JUST your spouse and dependent children. They will ask for info on your siblings and parents on the Additional Family Information form. For application reasons, family is just your spouse and dependent children though.

There's some debate on the gift question. Most seem to believe it's asking just about the first meeting. Like if you showed up to meet with something to give your fiance.

For the FBI, I just put "document needed for immigration." Never got questioned or anything. I think they're more concerned with the fingerprints and $$, to be honest
Calvados View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calvados Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2010 at 11:46am
From the guide:

Your family members are your spouse or common-law partner, if applicable, and your dependent children (start with the oldest). You must include all of your family members (who are not already permanent residents of Canada or Canadian citizens), whether they intend to immigrate with you or not. Any other relative (your mother, father, sister or brother, for instance) is not considered a family member for the purpose of this application. If you have more than three family members, attach a separate sheet of paper with the same information provided in the same order.

One thing that I did not understand is whether to include spouse who is already Canadian resident/citizen. The language seems ambiguous to me.

As for FBI clearance, validity of a clearance is only 6 months, so you want to get a clearance as close to the actual application date as possible. Get to know how long it takes for FBI to issue it and time yourself accordingly. If, say, you get it right now, by the time you're married it will only have 3 months left and at some point you will almost definitely be asked for a new one.

audball View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote audball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2010 at 7:05pm
You do not include family members(spouse/children) who are citizens or permanent residents. It makes that pretty clear in what you quoted.

Also, the FBI clearance is only good for 3 months after whatever date it is issued.
sami55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sami55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2010 at 4:01pm
I agree with audball

include immediate family members (ie spouse and children) WHO ARE NOT canadian..

BUT I ALSO agree that the immigration information is not user friendly.
they need to kiss.....keep it simple stupid...and the system is not easy, its a big maze with hidden monsters.

the police certificate that I recived from UK says FOR IMMIGRATION PURPOSE   so that will suffice for immigration...
but when my immigration process is over and I will apply for job

SO i will need it for job purposes will that do ?has anyone had that experience?

Patience Tuesday View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patience Tuesday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2010 at 6:11pm
Originally posted by sami55 sami55 wrote:

the police certificate that I recived from UK says FOR IMMIGRATION PURPOSE   so that will suffice for immigration...
but when my immigration process is over and I will apply for job

SO i will need it for job purposes will that do ?has anyone had that experience?

Salut!

If you are applying outland, you will be given a COPR (Certificate of Permanent Residency or somesuch name) which you then take to the nearest Service Canada outlet for your SIN application.  Nothing easier.  You get the paper, then take the paper to the government office for your card.  We all win!

The inland experience is a little bit different.  You'd have to wait for an Open Work Permit.  That comes only if you file for one, and after a bit of luck.  There are some here that have not received their OWP even after others have.  It's a bit of a gamble, from what I've read.

Here's hoping that you get here fast and satisfactorily though.

Wishing you all the best,

H.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic