Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Preserving Permanent Residence Status
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What will Happen?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbcpa1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What will Happen?
    Posted: 29 Jul 2010 at 9:36am
I need help! I am planning to make landing sometimes in December with my wife and three kids, I have a good job here and I can not quit for many reasons, my intention is to keep my family there in Canada for good but I need to go back to work after a month or so, and I will come to visit them every six months or so, my questions are:
- What will happen to my residency status?
- Let's say after four years can my wife and the kids apply for citizenship?

Please I am totally confused and do not know what to do!Confused

Thank you in advance.
pmm View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2010 at 3:47pm
Hi

Originally posted by mbcpa1 mbcpa1 wrote:

I need help! I am planning to make landing sometimes in December with my wife and three kids, I have a good job here and I can not quit for many reasons, my intention is to keep my family there in Canada for good but I need to go back to work after a month or so, and I will come to visit them every six months or so, my questions are:
- What will happen to my residency status?
- Let's say after four years can my wife and the kids apply for citizenship?
Please I am totally confused and do not know what to do!Confused
Thank you in advance.

1. Ah another courier.
2. You don't reside in Canada for 2 years in 5 you lose your PR status.
3. Yes your wife and kids can apply for citizenship.
PMM
mbcpa1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbcpa1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2010 at 7:57am
Thank you pmm for your kind reply, and as a matter of fact I just received a letter from the Canadian embassy to send my passports for visa, and the last date is June 24.2011. Smile
- I have another question: my company is opening a branch in USA and if this help my Canadian status I will move to that branch, what if I got H1B visa in the states, will my stay in the USA considered as staying in Canada for PR status and citizenship?Confused

Thank you for your help.Clap
ecs View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ecs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2010 at 10:23am
- I have another question: my company is opening a branch in USA and if this help my Canadian status I will move to that branch, what if I got H1B visa in the states, will my stay in the USA considered as staying in Canada for PR status and citizenship?

ABsolutely not. You will have to physically stay in Canada to maintain your PR. Unless your "good job" let you move to Canada and then you can apply for citizenship after 3 years like a whole of people who try to cheat the immigration system in Canada.
mbcpa1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbcpa1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2010 at 7:06am
Thank you for your reply.Wink
But I do not understand why you are accusing me that I am trying to cheat the Canadian system!! It's a major shift in my life and I want to make smoothly as much as possible.
If I want to cheat then how I am keeping my family in Canada for good? If I can find a good job in Canada like my job now, then diffidently I will quit my present job.
So do not consider any newcomer who want to arrange his new life as a cheater or a courier!

Again thank you for your understanding.Wink
ravindr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ravindr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2010 at 2:39am
hi sir,
yes you  will have that right's becoz you have a dual citizenship  so that's your wish
Briony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Briony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2010 at 5:59am
Whatever you do, just be careful not to endanger your permanent residency in any way...that's my 2 cents regarding your problem...

Edited by Briony - 25 Aug 2010 at 9:54am
mbcpa1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbcpa1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2010 at 6:14am
Thank you Briony for your kind comment.Big smile
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2010 at 6:52am
The underlying requirements for maintaining PR status in Canada have changed. Currently the requirement is, quite simply, be in Canada for 730 days out of five years or meet, for a total number of 730 days, other ways of satisfying the "in Canada" requirement, which it appears none of which will apply to you.

In other words, to maintain PR status, you will simply need to be physically present in Canada for 730 days out of the first five years following your landing, and then for 730 days for any given five year time span after that.

Not too long ago, maintaining PR status was based on an intent to maintain one's permanent residence in Canada. You'd fail that test big time, since you will not be in a position to even establish your residence in Canada. While this is no longer the test, for many of the tens of thousands who strive to become Canadian PRs every year, the idea that one of the seats on the bus (so to say) is being taken by someone who has no immediate plans or intent to establish residence in Canada, may rub them the wrong way. Their sentiments are understandable.

In the meantime: being in the U.S. will not in any way qualify as being in Canada for, well, any immigration related matter. No more than being in Thailand, Russia, Nigeria, Poland, or the Sudan would. (I'm a bit curious why you thought it might. Really. Did you think obtaining a job in New Zealand and working there might possibly count toward satisfying the Canadian PR residency requirement?)

Edited by dpenabill - 17 Aug 2010 at 6:54am
Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
mbcpa1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbcpa1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2010 at 8:09am
Thank you again dpenabill for your detailed reply, regarding getting a job in the states issue, of course I know that getting a job in any other country will not give me any good for immigration matter! I asked this question because I heard about some rule between USA & Canada about H1B visa, and I was asking to clarify, that's all!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic