Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Family Class Sponsorship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Spouse Sponsorship/ AIP/ CBSA

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote komar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Spouse Sponsorship/ AIP/ CBSA
    Posted: 29 Nov 2009 at 5:56pm
Hi all,
Husband is a failed refugee claimant and applied on H&C grounds but has not reach the PRRA stage. Wife is a PR. We applied for spouse sponsorship in June09. We have not received AIP so far, file has been transferred to local CBSA and husband has to report to CBSA every month.
We are just wondering what stages people in similar situation are at and if there has been any new developments. Most importantly, does anyone has any idea about the time line?
komar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote komar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2009 at 9:06pm
Pl we would really appreciate if someone can provide some guidance or share their experience! we r close to losing all hope
mfeq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mfeq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2009 at 12:48pm
Based on my experience I believe since your husband has not reached the PRRA stage and your sponsorship is already in process, he will not be subject to removal.  However, I am not aware if there would be a variation since there is an existing H&C application.  Hopefully another member will respond to address this.

I sponsored my now husband in July 2007 under the common-law partner category while his refugee claim was still in process which already reached the PRRA stage.  We were advised at the time when we picked up the PRRA package in person that my husband was still subject to removal should the PRRA decision be negative and be issued prior to us receiving an AIP. In the end, it all worked out since our AIP was issued prior to the date he was to be removed in June 2009. CIC local office actually expedited issuing us an AIP when we gave notice to withdraw the inland sponsorhsip so that we could commence an outland after he leaves Canada as a result of the removal order.

Also, my husband was required as well by CBSA to report every month since he commenced his refugee claim in 2006 stemming from his prior charge of illegal status in the US.  However, CBSA currently only requires him to report every 6 months until the decision on his PR application is completed.

Good luck and just look at the bright side that you are spared of the worries I went through day in, day out while waiting for our AIP.

komar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote komar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2009 at 12:51pm
Thanks for the reply mfeq! Much appreciated!
How lucky to have your AIP issued just in time. That's extremely thoughtful of the immigration officer!
I have a couple of questions, if you dont mind. Which local office is processing your sponsorship application. I am asking because it seems to have taken them 2y to issue an AIP.
Also as the AIP is thankfully issued now, how long before your husband expects to be called for an interview or a decision on his PR?
We are trying to establish a time line as husband has not seen his family for the last 10y and his parents are now really old and desperate to meet him. We want to give them a fair idea of how much longer they will have to wait.

Thanks again
mfeq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mfeq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2009 at 7:32pm
Yes, if it weren't for the kindness of the IO, my husband would now be in Mexico and I will be starting a new application all over again.  As soon as she received our request to withdraw the inland application, she called my husband that very minute and told him to immediately attend at the Scarborough local office that same day.  Of course she was also able to expediate on the spot since our file already received conditional AIP once we provide them with certain documentation to back-up that our relationship is still continuing.

The timeline for PR is tricky as it depends how quickly the background and security checks are completed.  Does the applicant have any criminality?  Done military service or worked for a government agency?  If the applicant's background is straightforward and 10-year background is easy to verify then the process will be quicker than say compared with somebody like my husband who was illegal in the US and comes from such a country where there's more legwork. 

My husband has a daughter in Mexico and the last time saw her was in 2006. 

Keep faith and just live day by day and enjoy the better things that life has to offer you and your partner.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic