Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Preserving Permanent Residence Status
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Social Insurance Cards

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Social Insurance Cards
    Posted: 21 Jul 2010 at 10:41pm
I have been living in the US for the last few years and have not met the 2 years out of the last 5 residency obligation. I have a Social Insurance Number but not the card. I am hoping to move back to Canada in a few months and have realized I may need to show the card to an employer. Applying for a card at this time may become messy! I was about to move back to Canada, live for 2 years (730 days) and then apply for my Social Insurance Card, which is totally legal. However, I want to work and fulfill my civic duties. How may get a SI card without alerting Canada Immigration, and do I necessarily have to provide the card, or just the number to an employer?

Your help is most welcomed!

Thanks
scylla View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scylla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2010 at 11:13pm
From my experience, employers never ask for the card. They just want the number.
Outland Spousal (Buffalo):
App recd: 05/28/2010
Sponsor approved: 06/28/2010
Processing started: 08/19/2010
Passport request: 10/01/2010
Landed: 10/05/2010
guron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2010 at 4:09pm
Hi Guys,

I was offered a job in Canada, Nice! Start Aug. 21, 2010. After a number of forum discussions and consultation with two attorneys, I now know I can return and fulfill my residency obligation in the 730 days requirement after living in the US for several years. However, what documents can I seek without alerting CIC or other government agencies? For example, can I apply for an OHIP card, ON driver licence? Obviously, I would like things to go as smoothly as possible and have all the vital documents to function efficiently. I have a SI number, lost the card.....I been advised NOT to apply for a SIN card before the 730 days.
Help if you can!
I can finally bring my son back to Canada, his home, after been taken to US several years ago my his American Mom! I feel like dancing!

Thanks
canvis2006 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canvis2006 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2010 at 5:35pm
OHIP has a 3-month waiting period, you better get private health insurance
for everyone......

ajgodinho View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ajgodinho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2010 at 7:19pm
Congratulations Guron...that's great news indeed! Thumbs Up

From my experience, I've never had to show my SIN card, just provide the number. I agree with Canvis2006 that you should apply for private health insurance because of the 3-month waiting period.

Absolutely, you can apply for your OHIP card and Driver's licence. You can check the link in my signature below which I created specifically to help newcomer's to Canada.

Hope this checklist helps you...wishing you the best!
Harmonia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harmonia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2010 at 9:25am
Guron --  is your SIN a temporary tax number (TTN) or a true sin?  I think the TTN's have a '999' in them.

Also - for OHIP - you can walk in with the correct documentation, and walk out with your card. 
Check the website for the requirements - and if you're not sure, you can call them.  I called to make sure they would accept an Ontario drivers license, a passport, and the IMM1000  (as opposed to the PR card).  They said no problem.

Citizenship App Sent: December 2012
guron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2010 at 11:16am
AJ Godinho
My SIN is not temporary.....It is a 6???? I have used it for almost 20 years... for college, work, RRSP's, bank accounts, etc. It appears then, that I am all set.
ajgodinho View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ajgodinho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2010 at 10:54pm
Sounds right, Guron!

Originally posted by guron guron wrote:

AJ Godinho
My SIN is not temporary.....It is a 6???? I have used it for almost 20 years... for college, work, RRSP's, bank accounts, etc. It appears then, that I am all set.
ProudOne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProudOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2010 at 9:01am

Quote However, I want to work and fulfill my civic duties. How may get a SI card without alerting Canada Immigration"

Just thought this was funny. Disapprove

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic