Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Family Class Sponsorship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sponsor Spouse from within the US

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dude9er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sponsor Spouse from within the US
    Posted: 19 Jul 2010 at 2:58pm
My wife (american) and I (canadian) are thinking about moving to Canada from the US after living in the US for  the last 5 years.  I will of course be sponsoring my wife, however what kind of application do I submit, In Canada or Out Canada and which is faster?  Would it be easier to regain my Canadian residency in order to proceed?  Also, approximately how long does the process take?

I am just beginning to research the process so thanks everyone who helps!!!
scylla View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scylla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2010 at 3:12pm
Out of Canada is faster.

The first stage (sponsor approval via Mississauga) takes approximately a month. The second stage (processing through Buffalo office) takes 4-10 months for 80% of applications. These stats are posted here:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/international/05-fc-spouses.asp

Are you a Canadian citizen? If you are a Canadian citizen then you can sponsor your wife while still living outside of the country. However you will have to provide proof that you plan to re-establish yourself in Canada as soon as her PR is approved (e.g. job offer, rental agreement, mortgage, etc.)

If you are a PR, then you can only sponsor from within Canada.
Outland Spousal (Buffalo):
App recd: 05/28/2010
Sponsor approved: 06/28/2010
Processing started: 08/19/2010
Passport request: 10/01/2010
Landed: 10/05/2010
dude9er View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dude9er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2010 at 3:22pm
scylla, thanks so much for the info, I missed the US processing time in my research.  I am a Canadian Citizen and will reside in Canada and regain my PR status there.  Thanks for the tips on how to do that!
audball View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote audball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2010 at 11:35pm
Canadian citizens don't have to regain PR. You never lose anything if you're a citizen unless you gave it up to gain American citizenship.

Also, I just went through the US for immigration to Canada. They started processing my application March 26th and made a decision May 10th. It can be much faster than 4 months for straight forward applications. :)

dude9er View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dude9er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2010 at 11:33am
Wow, that is an amazing time line.  I think ours is pretty straight forward too. 

A question popped into my head, once you have been approved to make the move to Canada, how long do you have to enter Canada before the approval is revoked.  I know when moving to the States I had a certain amount of time to make my entry.

Thanks!!!
audball View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote audball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2010 at 12:10pm
You have either one year from when she does her medical(it expires after a year) or before her passport expires. Whichever comes first.

When you get the visa back, you'll see an expiration date on it. If her passport expires anytime soon, I would suggest applying for a new one now to avoid complications.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic