Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Skilled Worker / Independent Immigration
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The UAE Chapter -Application since 2006

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2010 at 4:49am
Is it possible to ship our stuff from Dubai to Toronto through sea cargo?

We have some stuff here as we are settled here and it's not a good idea to leave everything behind and buy again in Canada because everything is so expensive there.

What I have specifically in mind is Bed mattresses, microwaves, dinner sets, and other kitchen stuff.
"Whether You Think You Can or Can't, You're Right" --Henry Ford
torzan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote torzan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2010 at 3:41am

I am not sure if it is good idea to take all the stuff or not but I have got a quote from a cargo company for a 20' container which will cost about 2300 US$(From Dubai to Toronto). I am in the process of knowing if there will be any other expenses involved other than this one. In case there are no other expenses then one must see as to what would be the replacement cost at destination of the items one is shipping—if there is substantial difference then one must think of it otherwise one must not bother oneself for pity difference. But I am sure it would be difficult to fill a new house with say 2300US$ therefore I see advantage in taking all the stuff especially which are less bulky but of higher value i.e price.

zady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2010 at 6:44am

This is quite big...but at 8000 Dhs it doesn't look like it would be worth it unless one is already settled with a ready house.

What is the comparative Baggage allowance of airlines flying Dubai-Toronto? For Emirates, it must be 40Kgs per person. Any idea bout Etihad, British Airways, etc

And what are the charges (in Dhs) for taking extra baggage?

Edited by zady - 16 Jan 2010 at 6:48am
"Whether You Think You Can or Can't, You're Right" --Henry Ford
ggmathew View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggmathew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2010 at 11:27pm
Zady, It is not advisable to take electrical stuffs from UAE as its plug & volt is different in Canada.
Gigi Mathew
srajan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srajan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2010 at 3:06am
Dear Friends,

I received my entry visa. We are planning to land for short visit and come back to UAE. Can any one explain me how to show the proof of funds while landing. Will my recent UAE bank statement (in AED) be enough ?. We are going to stay in a rented apartment and return after 15 days. Do we still need to declare the goods we are carrying ?. Please explain.
ggmathew View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggmathew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2010 at 6:00am
srajan, Yes, you have to show proof of fund as well as the declaration of goods you are carrying + goods following later. You may take travelers check or cash itself, which is risky.
Gigi Mathew
srajan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srajan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2010 at 1:29pm
Dear Mathew,

Thanks for your reply. Does it mean my UAE bank statement is not acceptable ?. I have another question. Do we need to carry medical records (vaccination) for me and my wife ? Please explain.
charmed2006 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charmed2006 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2010 at 1:57am
wow.. i thought i am the only one left from the 2006 bacth.. :-)

my timeline is:
FSW
Applied: Jul 15, 06
AOR: Aug 1, 06
Update Ltr Request: Oct 1, 08
Docs subd Dec 20, 08
Additional Docs submitted Sep 22, 09
Med Request Rcvd Nov 17, 09 (dated Oct 30, 09)
Meds Done: Dec 20, 09
Meds Rcvd by CIC: Dec 23, 09
UAE pcc + RPRF sent Dec 30, 09
NBI sent Jan 19, 2010
Hopefully PPR soon..
Applied at: Dubai via CIC London
Wait time: 42 months

ggmathew View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggmathew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2010 at 11:58pm
srajan, Statement of UAE bank or any foreign bank account are not acceptable at the landing procedure. Either show a Canadian bank account statement or have physical cash in hand (remember to declare the amount at customs if you are carrying more than CAD 10K. 

Regarding medical records, it is not required at the landing procedure, it is your choice to keep a copy of medical records. But if you have child and intend to stay there and look for school, yes you need a vaccination report of you child.

This is what I did in late 2007 for my landing; took CAD 15K cash in hand (yes, it is risky) and declared at the customs and No medical records.
Gigi Mathew
torzan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote torzan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2010 at 9:51am

Hi friends, I have been sharing my time line as above and now add to that my passports call on 27-2-10 . OK I have a question:Can anyone tell me if one sends funds ahead of oneself to one of relatives like in my case to my sister who is there in canada.So will that be accepted as proof of funds?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic