Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Family Class Sponsorship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Change of Name before Spousal Application?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shorttalk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Change of Name before Spousal Application?
    Posted: 13 Jul 2010 at 2:40pm
Hi All
we will be married soon and wish to apply for PR through Spousal Sponsorship.  Is it best to change the name prior to the wedding to speed up the process by deedpoll or could I leave the application in my maiden name?
RobsLuv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobsLuv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2010 at 2:47pm
The immigrant's application forms are to be filled out using the name that is on the immigrant's passport or travel documents.  So, you can decide to wait until you have your name changed on your passport, and then submit the application forms - or you can submit the application forms in your maiden name and update CIC later with a copy of your new passport once you make the change.  If you do that, your PR will be issued in your married name.  If you don't change your name on your passport (or notify CIC of the change), your Confirmation of Permanent Residence will be issued in your maiden name - and then the PR card would be also.  The PR card needs to be the same as the passport because the PR card is used to prove your permanent status in Canada anytime you're entering Canada after PR - because you will still be traveling on a "foreign" passport. 

The copy of your marriage licence that you include with the application will have both names, so they'll be able to identify you as the applicant, even by your maiden name.

Edited by RobsLuv - 13 Jul 2010 at 2:55pm
3/2007-applied
1/2008-Refused
12/2008-ADR failed
1/2010-Appeal allowed
4/2010-In Process(Again)
5/2010-request FBI/meds
8/2010-FBI recd
11/30/10-APPROVED!
1/31/11-LANDED!
shorttalk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shorttalk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2010 at 10:23am
thanks for the response.  So to clarify people are able to apply with their marriage licence and also a copy of the temporary certificate that is given on the day of the wedding.  We have been advised that we cannot apply for the marriage certificate until 12 weeks after the wedding then await a further 4 weeks which is delaying the process alot.
angeli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angeli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2010 at 3:41am
@shorttalk

Hi there, I've been faced with similar questions after I got married May this year. My husband and I wanted to apply for the spouse visa right away and to get the process going. However, we were advised to wait until ALL the documents required are on hand so that we can submit a complete application. That is precisely what we did. Thus, it took us a full 2 months to prepare everything... yes it is a long wait but we were told that we would benefit a lot from submitting a complete application. Otherwise, there would be delays as the CPC-M would be sending us requests for additional documents--or worse, they can return the incomplete app to you.

To answer your question, you cannot apply with just a marriage license and the temporary certificate. May I know which country the sponsored spouse is from? CIC accepts only the official marriage certificate which may take a while to process.

Regarding the change to your married name, it is best to change your name to your married name in all the documents you will be submitting before you submit your application to CPC-M. I also opt to use my married name in my application because we were advised that this would be better in terms of them seeing that our relationship is genuine. Thus, the passport, police clearances etc. would best be in your maiden name. =)
sami55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sami55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2010 at 6:27pm

I am outland UK spousal husband married in January to Canadian wife.

we sent off just that solemnisation record only to CPC M . we had no problems at all. she got approved as sponsor straightaway. I think the point to note is that EVERYTHING else was perfectly squeeky clean and met all the criteria comfortably.

BUT it is London who is asking me to send in the marriage cert..thats ok becuase they have had to write to me request other information anyway so the delay was inevitable anyway..

I also got my visitors record (visa) extended by vegreville before I got my marriage cert.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic