Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Family Class Sponsorship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

PR status issue after divorce with sponsor.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loneranger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PR status issue after divorce with sponsor.
    Posted: 26 May 2018 at 10:34am
Hi,

I received my PR last year as my wife sponsored me and currently living in toronto. But, now we are not having good relationship and we are thinking getting divorce and get separated. So, my question here is that, how it can affect my PR as my wife is the sponsor. Also, if my PR got revoked do I get deported immediately or I can apply for PR again through express entry as I am eligible for it too. Please help. Thanks for all the help in advance.
pmm View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2018 at 11:28am
HI

Originally posted by loneranger loneranger wrote:

Hi,

I received my PR last year as my wife sponsored me and currently living in toronto. But, now we are not having good relationship and we are thinking getting divorce and get separated. So, my question here is that, how it can affect my PR as my wife is the sponsor. Also, if my PR got revoked do I get deported immediately or I can apply for PR again through express entry as I am eligible for it too. Please help. Thanks for all the help in advance.

1. Assuming it wasn't a Marriage of Convenience, then a divorce will have no effect on your PR status. You should note that you can't sponsor another spouse until 5 years after your date of "landing"
PMM
loneranger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loneranger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2018 at 11:19am
I am not sure my question was clear enough. Just to rephrase, I am living in Canada with my wife and I got the PR last year as my wife sponsored me. So, I am not sure how it will affect my PR. Also, I am thinking of sponsoring my parents to Canada so I am not sure if that will affected by my divorce. Please help.
pmm View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2018 at 2:40pm
Hi

Originally posted by loneranger loneranger wrote:

I am not sure my question was clear enough. Just to rephrase, I am living in Canada with my wife and I got the PR last year as my wife sponsored me. So, I am not sure how it will affect my PR. Also, I am thinking of sponsoring my parents to Canada so I am not sure if that will affected by my divorce. Please help.

1. As I said the divorce has no effect on your PR status, UNLESS your ex-spouse complains to CBSA that you only married to get PR status. CBSA will then investigate, to determine if it was a Marriage of Convenience or not. If they determine you married to only get PR status, then CBSA will report you for misrepresentation. That is your only worry.
2. Until you have 3 years of employment in Canada and meet the LICO + 30% for those 3 years, you can't submit an application in the Parent/Grandparent lottery.
PMM
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic