Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Family Class Sponsorship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

June/July/August applicants

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2223242526 27>
Author
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UKtoCAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2010 at 7:02am
congrats
Megen View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Megen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2010 at 10:26am
Tdolphin,

My husband and I had the lovely pleasure of trying to find a new place too! We kind of thought I would get my COPR sometime in November/December so we planned our budget and we signed a lease for November 1st. By luck of the draw I had my COPR before then. We ended up moving my stuff in last Friday to the new place and my husband's stuff as well! What a long a day, but really happy thats how it worked out.

Congrats on the COPR and happy house hunting :)
Spousal Outland (Buffalo)
App Rcvd: 7/19/10
Sponsor Approved: 8/20/10
Buffalo Processing: 9/7/10
Decision Made: 9/28/10
PPR: 9/30/10
COPR and PP in hand 10/12/10
Landed 10/29/10
PR Card Rcd 12/6/2010
jnjbc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jnjbc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2010 at 10:29am
Congrats to all.
Just a quick scan of all those who seem to be getting their corp and passports in hand - it looks like a good guestimate of time would be somewhere between 3 and 6 months once sending the app in.
Megen View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Megen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2010 at 10:29am
Whoosh, 

I second everything that Aud said! Where in Vancouver are you thinking about looking? My husband and I are living in Richmond (we are about a 10 minute walk from the Canada Line Skytrain.) Its affordable and now with the skytrain coming out here it takes about 20 minutes to get to downtown Vancouver. 

Congrats and good luck finding a place! If you need to bounce ideas off of someone feel free to PM me :)
Landed 10/29/10
PR Card Rcd 12/6/2010
Woosh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woosh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2010 at 5:43pm
Audball: Fantastic! :D Well looks like the passport's going in the mail tomorrow since I fell a bit ill over the last few days. Ugh. That always happens when I decompress from a long period of stress..!

I'm a little concerned about the photos I got from Wal-Mart though--when I got them home I gave them a measure and it turns out they're only 33x45mm instead of the minimum 35x45mm! Grr. Do I really have to take them back or should I try cutting them down? Out of the 4 I had to get (they only sell them in pairs) only one of them is the correct measurement but its horribly off-centered so I can't use it. Usually Wal-Mart has been really good for photos...

Megen: I'm looking for a place a little closer to downtown. The studio I'll be working for is at 190 Alexander. Before living in Abbotsford with my hubby, I used to live right in Gastown, but... I don't really like the amount of vermin I had to put up with, lol. Now I'm looking for somewhere around Commercial as that's where I'm most familiar. I do not drive and transit makes me queasy, so the closer the better!

How long have you been living in Richmond? I've only driven through a couple of times with friends and gone to the Ikea there. XD

Edited by Woosh - 07 Nov 2010 at 5:45pm
Megen View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Megen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2010 at 11:01am
Woosh, I have been living in Richmond just since I landed on the 29th. I have actually quite enjoyed it! There are only 2 problems I have is that the walk signs here do not last long enough! And drivers in this area tend to not notice pedestrians, stop signs, or stoplights some times. (Same thing was true in Seattle as well... something about Northwest drivers) I am also not a huge fan of asian cuisine (give me indian!) and there aren't a whole lot of choices when it comes to dinning out here when you don't like asian cuisine. So we end up taking the train into Vancouver for Indian or Italian. 
I used to live right in Gastown (close to the Irish Heather Pub, I was in the building that shared a courtyard with the Van Horne building on Cordova and Carrall) so I too understand the problems that arise down there. It doesn't seem quite as bad as 3 years ago. My husband and I were just down there getting Italian (at Incendio, if you haven't had it yet, must try it!) and there seemed to be less habitants on the streets. 
Commercial is a fantastic place! Lots of great coffee shops, dinning, and it won't take long to get to work. You might also want to try the Mt. Pleasant area around Main Street and W Broadway. I had a friend that lived there, and we would always meet at her place. She was close to this amazing Jamaican restaurant called The Reef. Great brunch :) 
Landed 10/29/10
PR Card Rcd 12/6/2010
Woosh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woosh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2010 at 11:02pm
Ha, you know what? I used to live right at 320 Abbott (Abbott and Cordova) and I used to WORK at AKA Cartoon, Inc a block away from Incendio where we had a few staff birthday parties... You're totally right--it IS amazing food. I yearn to introduce my husband to their Ukrainian potato pizza.

As for the difference over 3 years, I wonder if the Olympics had anything to do with that. You mean the sketchiness, right? You know what's funny... maybe its because of the amount of people and the bright street lights, but I actually felt safer living single in Gastown than I do with a house full of people in Abbotsford. At least I was never broken into there. Here we had what I assumed was some "kid" who broke in and stole our Wii... WHILE WE WERE ASLEEP IN THE NEXT ROOM! Darn kids. *Shakes fist*

Well it looks like the job I am up for may actually start Jan31st (assuming I still get it), instead of mid-December, which gives us a bit more time to figure things out. I think we will *indeed* check out the Mt. Pleasant area just in case Commercial falls through. Its a little hard doing the footwork for a good apartment search from out here. =P
Megen View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Megen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2010 at 2:55pm
The bums who live in gastown learned to recognize me as a person who lived there so they never really asked me for money which was nice. I felt safer walking home from Vancouver Film School (homer and hastings) at 330 in the morning because of the lights and lots of people, than walking home from the skytrain here in richmond at 700 PM just because where we live there aren't a lot of people walking around that time of night.

Its good that you have a bit more time to look for a place. I was fortunate enough to have my husband living in Vancouver and working in Richmond so he could easily find a place for us. I didn't even really see our place until we moved in :) He did good, except for the mauve colored countertops, but I can over look it!

I'm still trying to find work. I have a degree in Film Production, and film work here is slow right now just because its almost the holiday season and things are slowing down. I may have to work as a barista yet again :( 

Its great that
Landed 10/29/10
PR Card Rcd 12/6/2010
dpausuri View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpausuri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2010 at 4:40pm
Yeah heah... I finally got the request from Buffalo for my passport and 3 recent pictures. Now shall I assume that all the processing is complete and I should be receiving my paperwork soon?? Will Buffalo mail my passport back to Canada or shall I give my USA address?? Can they request for interview after receiving the passport?? Thanks
shorttalk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shorttalk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2010 at 7:21am
Congratulations to those who have made it.  Im slightly confused though, how is it that the current processing times have been 6-9 months for all this time yet most people on this thread have had their family class applications processed within alot less time?  Is the average processing times there as a guide for those who have complicated, queried applications? 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2223242526 27>
  Share Topic