Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Preserving Permanent Residence Status
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Entering to Canada as visitor

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
vk28 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vk28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Entering to Canada as visitor
    Posted: 29 Jun 2010 at 3:40pm
Thank you very much...
Very comprehensive answer...
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2010 at 3:00pm
The real need for a PR card to travel, to return to Canada, is primarily for boarding commercial transportation destined for Canada. If you are carrying travel documents otherwise authorizing you to enter Canada (such as a passport from a visa-exempt country), that suffices. Being a PR does NOT change that.

A PR must be allowed to enter Canada at a POE upon adequate proof of identity. Here again, one's passport should ordinarily suffice for this purpose (and their system would also confirm the PR status). It is, of course, better to produce a valid PR card, but it is not absolutely necessary.

It is very, very common for people who are given PR visas to land and then promptly return to their home country or previous residence to settle affairs, sometimes taking years not just weeks or months to accomplish this. Very, very common, and well recognized by Canadian CBSA personnel. Not a problem usually unless there is something in one's circumstances that suggest a misrepresentation was involved in obtaining the PR status, or, again, the problem of being allowed to board commercial transportation (airplane usually) destined to Canada if you were not from a visa-exempt country and did not otherwise have a TD authorizing travel to Canada (PRs abroad who do not have their PR card may apply at the nearest embassy for a special travel document to specifically authorize travel to Canada . . . and of course this is what someone from a country that is not visa exempt must do if there is no one to forward the PR card to them).

Edited by dpenabill - 29 Jun 2010 at 3:01pm
Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
Intel View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Intel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2010 at 7:12am
You may check edmontona post regarding his case. He was allowed to enter using his work permit instead of his PR visa.

vk28 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vk28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2010 at 7:03am
Thank you for the response. But my question was if there is any issue to enter as visitor before becoming PR (although I have Canada Immigrant Visa in my passport) and then perform the landing process at later date (leave Canada and re-enter as landing immigrant).
Intel View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Intel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2010 at 6:16am
Once you become a PR, you cannot enter Canada as a visitor unless you lose the PR status first.

If you have some friends in Canada, have the PR cards sent to their address at the time of landing. Your friend, once (s)he receives the cards, can mail them to you by courier.

Since your passport does not require visa to enter Canada, there should be no issue entering Canada without PR card provided that you carry the COPR at the time of re-entry. However, I recommend to get a confirmation from CIC/CHC about this possibility. You may require to apply for a travel document before re-entering Canada: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/travel.asp

Edited by Intel - 29 Jun 2010 at 6:29am
vk28 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vk28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2010 at 2:51am
Hi
I'm not sure if this is the right topic to ask for, but my situation is as following:
I'm planning to land within month with my family ( I'm primary applicant), but I should come to Canada for the short visit before the landing date. If I perform the landing process, there will be no time to wait for PR card and therefore I'll have isssues to re-enter Canada again.
The question is: Am I able to enter Canada as visitor, although I have Canada Immigrant Visa in my passport (There is no visitor visa requirement from my country)? If Yes, would it cause any problems with landing process at later date?

Thank you for the help....
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic