Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Canadian Citizenship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Not sure about date of Citizenship

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChutneyRiggins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Not sure about date of Citizenship
    Posted: 16 Apr 2018 at 5:49pm
Hi, everyone:

I have a question about my Canadian citizenship. I was born in the States and lived here my entire life. I have run through the "Am I a Canadian Citizen" tool on canada.ca but I'm not sure about some of the wording. Specifically... if my father was a citizen of Canada when I was born. Here's the full story:

My grandmother was born in Canada. My father was born and lived his whole life in the States. He applied a few years ago for a citizenship certificate and was received one. It is dated with his DOB. So I'm not sure if his citizenship goes back before my birth or not. I was born in 1980 and I believe the laws have changed about GRANDCHILDREN of Canadian citizens born in Canada since then, but I might be covered under the older laws that would allow me to be granted citizenship.

I would love to become a citizen of Canada, but I want to be a little more clear about the rules before I apply. Thanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic