Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Family Class Sponsorship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Trying to sponsor my fiance, Im in a dilemma

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halhoola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trying to sponsor my fiance, Im in a dilemma
    Posted: 20 Jun 2010 at 2:21am
Hello

I am new to this forum, but I would really appreciate any insight into my complicated situation

I am a canadian citizen, and my fiance is a failed asylum seeker in the UK. I have applied for a marriage visa to the UK to be able to get married to him, however the visa was denied because of his status.

I am desperate for him to come to Canada, we have been in a relationship now for three years, and engaged for one year. and im stuck now because I do not have the right to appeal the marriage visa refusal and therefore I cannot sponsor him as my spouse.

If he leaves the United Kingdom, he has to go back to Baghdad. And with the current situation there, I cannot go there to marry him. The only way we would be able to marry is if he secures entry to another country and I really dont know how possible that is.

I was looking at the sponsoring a refugee application, and I was wondering if anyone had any expereince with this?My  worry is that the CIC will refuse it because I am his fiance, and would ask me to sponsor him as my spouse and so im back to Sq 1.

Any Advice on this?

UKtoCAN View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UKtoCAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2010 at 4:46am
i have no idea of this situation but have you consulted an immigation lawyer on this? I will say do so, Just consultation and listen to what they have to say about it.
RobsLuv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobsLuv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2010 at 9:35am
I agree - I think this is a bit complicated for most of us to give you really good advice.  
3/2007-applied
1/2008-Refused
12/2008-ADR failed
1/2010-Appeal allowed
4/2010-In Process(Again)
5/2010-request FBI/meds
8/2010-FBI recd
11/30/10-APPROVED!
1/31/11-LANDED!
dan2010 View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dan2010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2010 at 9:44pm
Complicated.. You must first make sure what you need to do first among the things that you mentioned you plan to do and deal with it one at a time, not altogether. And consult a legal adviser about it. Which would you deal first: a.)sponsoring a refugee, b.)sponsoring a fiancee ( I have read in the forums that there is no such fiancee visa), c.)marrying a refugee. and d.)sponsoring a spouse later on. Consult a lawyer
Feb2, 2010-application sub Miss
Feb11,2010-sponsorship approved
March25,2010-in process Manila
Aug16,2010-DM & PPR
Aug17,2010-ecas 'Decision Made',PP sent
Sept28,2010-visa recvd
Oct13-landed
Siouxie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Siouxie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2010 at 9:47am
What about applying under the conjugal class?  That is for people who can't marry or live together due to circumstances beyond their control.

5.45. What is a conjugal partner?

This category was created for exceptional circumstances – for foreign national partners of Canadian or permanent resident sponsors who would ordinarily apply as common-law partners but for the fact that they have not been able to live together continuously for one year, usually because of an immigration impediment. In most cases, the foreign partner is also not able to marry their sponsor and qualify as a spouse. In all other respects, the couple is similar to a common-law couple or a married couple, i.e., they have been in a bona fide conjugal relationship for a period of at least one year

However, you should read 5.47  as there are restrictions and you would need a great deal of proof.

Is it possible for you to go to the UK and live with him for a year (thus qualifiying for common law) ?

Alternatively,  you could possibly sponsor him as an overseas refugee.. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/op/op05-eng.pdf  (Convention Refugees Abroad Class and Members of the Humanitarian-protected Persons Abroad Classes ) however, you would need to look into it carefully to see if your partner qualifies.

I really think you need some good legal advice!
This is only my opinion... CIC are a law unto themselves
Harmonia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harmonia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2010 at 10:17am
Conjugal is one option, and considering the circumstances, it is possible that you will be able to justify this approach.

Marriage might still be an option.  I suggest you investigate on CIC's site the concept of 'proxy marriage' and/or 'telephone marriage' (assuming you are of opposite gender, that is - for there are only a few countries that recognize same-sex marriages).  I believe that these are both legal options for you - but I strongly believe that a quick consult with an immigration lawyer is warranted in this case.

Citizenship App Sent: December 2012
maria32 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maria32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2010 at 12:03am

i meeet my bf here phlippines 10 days? he still sending me money help until now when he back in canada we ahve phoncalls, emails, talk every. and picture here phlippines is that consider congugal partener?

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic