Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Skilled Worker / Independent Immigration
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Moving to Canada while waiting

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote immigration123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Moving to Canada while waiting
    Posted: 07 Jun 2010 at 12:27am
Hi All,

I applied for PR in Oct 2006, got my "letter of interest" last May and since then no news. Some say "letter of interest" indicates that they are in fact processing your case, which I am not too sure of. Anyway, I recently got my student visa to study in Canada, so I sent a letter to update my address and I was told by a friend that my case would likely be transfered, it would probably delay the whole process with this "transfer", any truth to it? Are they going to transfer my case to another office? If so, is it gonna delay my case again? Thanks.
Intel View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Intel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2010 at 1:36am
First, are you already in Canada? CHC will not consider address changes if you did not get your study permit (not visa) @ POE yet. They do check the FOSS for that (as they did with me).

Delays are expected if file transfer is initiated. The following link is an example of such delay http://www.immigration.ca/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=748&title=chclondon-20062009-applications. Anyway, if you got transferred to a visa office in US, the process there is usually faster. 

However, delay can also occur even without transfer. In my case, CHC did not transfer my file to Buffalo NY, USA even they were already informed that I am in Canada.  Maybe since my mailing address is still my lawyer address in Kuwait. I still got around one-and-half years delay over normal processing time even without file transfer.

One main factor of delaying my process (as I found from my CAIPS notes) was the extra security checks regarding my residency in Canada as a student (living for more than 6 months). I got even additional delays when my wife joined me later because of the same issue. The process delay caused by the extra security checks was about one year for both me and my wife.
CIT APP
Rcvd: 2012-11 | In Process: 2013-01 | e-CAS: 2013-02 | Actual In Process: 2013-11 | Test: 2014-02 | Oath: 2014-04
immigration123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote immigration123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2010 at 9:57pm
Hi Intel, what is FOSS? I just got my visa and will leave next week, so does it mean I have to wait until I am physically in Canada? Thanks
Intel View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Intel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2010 at 10:33pm
The FOSS (Field Operations Support System - http://immipedia.ca/FOSS) is CIC computer system (same as CAIPS used by oversea visa offices) used for processing immigration files within Canada. Once you come to Canada and an officer issues you a study permit, an entry to FOSS is made about your permit.

As in your question, you have to be physically in Canada before informing CIC about your new Canadian address. CIC might ask you to send a copy of study permit for verfication purposes.

However, CIC process is slow. If you had already sent the address change letter, you mostly be in Canada before the time CIC verify it. 
CIT APP
Rcvd: 2012-11 | In Process: 2013-01 | e-CAS: 2013-02 | Actual In Process: 2013-11 | Test: 2014-02 | Oath: 2014-04
crokodile View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crokodile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2010 at 10:31pm
Probably write directly to RECO via their online forms. Or call his broker Remax and let them know of this issue online with many people, I am sure this could be grounds to terminate your agreement.  Maybe print all these postings and show it to this agent and hear his side of the story out perhaps. This guy looks fishy !
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic