Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Family Class Sponsorship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forms to sponsor minor dependent child

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zahir81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Forms to sponsor minor dependent child
    Posted: 05 Jun 2010 at 11:28am
Hi,

I would like to get this information from someone who has already applied to sponsor their minor child after landing in Canada. I've gone through all possible online sources but the information is not clear about the forms need to be sent to CIC to sponsor a dependent child who is under 18 (in my case, 8 months old).

From the document checklist, I've filled out following forms:

From Sponsor (that's myself):
1. IMM 1344A
2. IMM 1344B
3. IMM 5481
5. Fees

From sponsored person (my kid):

I'm not sure what all forms I need to send in this section.
Also, do i have to send her medical report too? She is a US citizen, currently in Canada and she was granted 1 year temporary permit at the border.

Please advice.

Thanks,

RobsLuv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobsLuv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2010 at 11:54am
You need the outland spousal/dependent child application.  Some of the forms won't be applicable, like anything pertaining to the whole "genuine relationship" part, but the rest are.  Your child will be the principle applicant and yes, she does need to have a medical with a DMP.  This can happen within Canada. 

The application will be processed through Buffalo after your eligibility to sponsor is finalized through CPC-Mississauga.  Buffalo is currently finalizing dependent child cases in 2-7 months.

Edited by RobsLuv - 05 Jun 2010 at 12:15pm
3/2007-applied
1/2008-Refused
12/2008-ADR failed
1/2010-Appeal allowed
4/2010-In Process(Again)
5/2010-request FBI/meds
8/2010-FBI recd
11/30/10-APPROVED!
1/31/11-LANDED!
lg107 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lg107 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2010 at 12:25pm
Originally posted by RobsLuv RobsLuv wrote:

You need the outland spousal/dependent child application.  Some of the forms won't be applicable, like anything pertaining to the whole "genuine relationship" part, but the rest are.  Your child will be the principle applicant and yes, she does need to have a medical with a DMP.  This can happen within Canada. 

The application will be processed through Buffalo after your eligibility to sponsor is finalized through CPC-Mississauga.  Buffalo is currently finalizing dependent child cases in 2-7 months.

I don't understand. If she is the sponsor & it's her child then wouldn't her child be entitled to canadian citizenship? Assuming the sponsor is a canadian citizen herself? Or is she a p.r. only thats why she has to sponsor?
App.sent 25/3/10
Sponsorship apprd 30/4/10
In process 14/05/10
RPRF requested 10/6/10
Paid RPRF 12/6/10
Meds rec'd 24/06/10
DECISION MADE 6/07/10
PPR 13/07/10
Visa rec'd 3/08/10
Landed 20/08/10
zahir81 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zahir81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2010 at 3:22pm
RobsLuv , thank you for the quick response. One question here I've is what happens with the signature of my baby girl on those Applicant forms. Should I sign on her behalf or put her thumbprint on the form?

Today my wife called the CIC call center and she got the same response that even for a kid who is 9 months old, we need to submit all the forms, except spouse related ones.

Regards,
Zahir

UKtoCAN View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UKtoCAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2010 at 4:14pm
You would have to sign for her as she is a child, children dont sign for anything until you 18 i guess. lol
zahir81 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zahir81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2010 at 4:40pm
Well, I'm very well aware that children can't sign until 18 but not sure about UK, in a well-developed country like USA, you need to have your child's thumbprint when you apply for her passport.

Does that strike anything in ur smart mind???? Also, there is called "Use of Representative" way while applying for Canada PR. So I was hoping that some1 less wiser than UKtoCAn person would advise about that.

Thanks a bunch..
yere View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2010 at 4:40pm
My husband-who is a PR is in the same process. In his case, the Canadian High Commission asked for 2 forms which are clear to me don't apply (as the children are all under 18). These are:
Additional Family Information
Schedule 1
Most of the information on these are N/A as they are asking for information for those over 18.
If I remember correctly there were no other forms that required the children's signatures-these forms do (or atleast one of them). In that case he was told to sign on their behalf and write beside it "father of..."

Not sure if this is just the stupidity from the Accra office or if all HC would want these forms-doesn't hurt to include them if you are unsure.
Good Luck
UKtoCAN View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UKtoCAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2010 at 5:54pm
zahir81, I am sorry if my comment offended you in anyway, I did not mean to offend you.

Sorry as i was little bit naive about the situation, Here in UK is parents or guradian that signs, but also if applying for a Canadian PR for a child , you wont be a representative. I am sure the UK and Canada have similar parental Guide as compare to the United Staes of America......

Sorry Zahir81
lg107 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lg107 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2010 at 7:43pm
Actually Guys when i applied for citizenship for my daughter in Feb. this year she had to sign the forms & the citizenship card/photo herself. It stated any child 14 years or older must sign themselves. Also here in Ireland the parent sign the pass port app. but a child 7 years or older must also sign. 
App.sent 25/3/10
Sponsorship apprd 30/4/10
In process 14/05/10
RPRF requested 10/6/10
Paid RPRF 12/6/10
Meds rec'd 24/06/10
DECISION MADE 6/07/10
PPR 13/07/10
Visa rec'd 3/08/10
Landed 20/08/10
rohans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rohans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2010 at 10:55am
Hi All,

I am in the same boat as Zahir. I am still in US and will be moving to Canada for good end of this month with my 1yr old daughter. My wife and I are already Canadian Permananet Residents. My child is a US citizen.

From the forms aspect, for sponsor, I think, we need to fill the following forms
IMM 1344A
IMM 5481 (Initially, I had thought, sponsorship evaluation was not needed for Dependent Child)

IMM 1344B is not needed if the person you are sponsoring is less than 22 yrs of age.

For main applicant, i.e. the child, I think only the following form applies
IMM 0008 GENERIC

Schedule 1 and Additional Family Information does not apply, can someone please confirm??

Also, I had the following questions...

Can I do the medicals in US itself, before going to Canada? Would there be any issue with that?

Also, while going to Canada for good, do I need to tell anything to the officer about my intent to apply for PR for my child? Would there be any issue?

Appreciate your responses..

Edited by rohans - 11 Jun 2010 at 9:51am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic