Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canadian Employment / Jobs > Canada Job Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Continuing education

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
nina.roy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nina.roy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Continuing education
    Posted: 08 Aug 2010 at 12:54pm
Originally posted by anjalis anjalis wrote:

Hi,

I have been in canada (PR) for close to four months now and am actively looking for a job. Needless to say, it is getting trickier by the day to get a job here because of no canadian education or work exp. I have a total of 6 years and more than 4 years of exp in HR from my home country, i.e India. Additionally, I possess Bachelors in Computer Applications and Post grad dip in HR too. My question is, if i wish to pursue further education here, is there any financial assistance available to internationally experienced students. I know of OSAP, but you have to enroll for a certificate program to be eligible for it. But, I have decided to enroll for only one course right now.

Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

anjalis

Hi Anjali,

I see that you have done your BCA for your bachlors degree, am I right in assuming you did that from Osmania Univ, Hyderabad AP India?  
Coz I'm in the same boat..... did you get your BCA evaluated for Canada? If yes, how did they recognise this degree? pls advice if you can.

Cheers,
Nina.
There is always light at the end of the tunnel
ajgodinho View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ajgodinho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2010 at 5:28pm
Hi anjalis, that's great to see that you want to pursue further studies.

Given that you have an HR background, I would suggest that you continue in that field. There is much scope in HR and it's a good field to be in.

Depending on what are you want to specialize in, for example, generalist, compensation, benefits, payroll, etc. There are designations for each. One that most HR professionals go for is CHRP (Certified HR Professional).

You have to take about 10 courses to get your CHRM and then answer a couple of exams to get your CHRP. Each course costs between $300 to $400 and many big companies pay for these courses once you are hired permanent.

However, even if you start off with one course, you can put it on your resume as pursuing CHRP and that hold some weight.

In terms of a job, right now just try to get your foot into the door even with a short-term contract role. This will give you a chance to prove yourself and move up slowly, but surely.

I did it, so I know it's possible - from a two month contract HR assistant to a full-fledged HR manager. You can do it too...it's hard work, but it's possible! :)
zulfiqartoor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zulfiqartoor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2010 at 3:47am
students who have done O level and and completed one year of AS level ( Cambridge level ) who they are treated in canada.

Is any body who can comment on the above.
thanks  for your input in advance
zulfiqartoor
Applied 8-4-09,Ist AOR mAY 09,Complete File Submitted 27 Sep09,2nd Aor 2 nov 09,File transfered to chc london 30-6-10.Decision made on 9-3-11.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zulfiqartoor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2010 at 3:45am
The students of A level can get admission in the unversities of canada . what is the requirement what new immigrants have to do.
zulfiqartoor
Applied 8-4-09,Ist AOR mAY 09,Complete File Submitted 27 Sep09,2nd Aor 2 nov 09,File transfered to chc london 30-6-10.Decision made on 9-3-11.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zulfiqartoor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2010 at 3:44am
I wish to know that the chartered accountants from Pakistan immigrating to canada. how their qualification is treated equilvalent to canada qualification. pls comment
zulfiqartoor
anjalis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anjalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2010 at 3:17pm
Hi,

I have been in canada (PR) for close to four months now and am actively looking for a job. Needless to say, it is getting trickier by the day to get a job here because of no canadian education or work exp. I have a total of 6 years and more than 4 years of exp in HR from my home country, i.e India. Additionally, I possess Bachelors in Computer Applications and Post grad dip in HR too. My question is, if i wish to pursue further education here, is there any financial assistance available to internationally experienced students. I know of OSAP, but you have to enroll for a certificate program to be eligible for it. But, I have decided to enroll for only one course right now.

Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

anjalis
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic