Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Visa / Temporary Entry Topics > Work Visa
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

required to go to New York VAC?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rvm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: required to go to New York VAC?
    Posted: 31 Jul 2017 at 9:06pm
Hello,

A few days ago, I sent the following email to the VACs in both Los Angeles and New York:

##################################################################
Hello,

I have some questions regarding my application, and I was told by someone in the VAC call center to send my inquiries to this email address.

My situation is as follows: I am a US citizen with a job lined up in Canada (job offer, contract, etc.) starting in about 6 months. My wife is an Iranian citizen and will be joining me; at this point she is applying for an open work permit and temporary resident visa. We know that she will require her biometrics to be taken. We both live in Los Angeles.

I was originally told by someone in the Los Angeles VAC call center (i.e., after dialing (646) 741-0130 and requesting to be contacted with the LA office) that -- even though the LA VAC does not process work permits -- we could leave our completed work permit applications with the LA VAC, do my wife's biometrics at the LA VAC, and then they could send our applications securely to the NY VAC for processing. However, upon arriving at the LA VAC today, we were told that this is not the case. We were literally told that we need to go the NY VAC to do everything, and that if we sent in our application without my wife's biometrics, the application would be returned/denied.

This makes no sense. First of all, I was apparently given misinformation (twice) on the phone with the VAC call center who indicated that we should be able to get work permit assistance at the LA VAC. If this is not the case, that is fine, but the online documentation clearly states that we should be able to submit our applications online, after which my wife will receive a biometrics instruction letter via email, so that she can get her biometrics done somewhere in Los Angeles. Obviously, we should not have to fly to New York to get biometrics taken, correct?

I had one more question about the process: We only need to send in my wife's passport after the work permit application is approved, correct?

Thank you for your assistance,

I then got the following "response" from the LA VAC (still waiting on response from NY):

Unfortunately, that has to be done in New York.

[​IMG]
-- 
Kind Regards,

Canada Visa Application Centre ( KJ )
2120 E Grand Avenue, Suite 108A
El Segundo, California 90245
U.S.A.
+1 (646) 741-0130

At least 3 or 4 people in the call center have told me that we can apply online without having to physically go to New York (that is also clearly the case reading the online instructions). If all goes well, we should then receive a biometrics instruction letter, so my wife can get biometrics taken in Los Angeles. So, can someone please confirm that we can submit the application online without having to physically go to New York (it's ready to be submitted)?

Also, is there any way to complain about the unbelievably bad customer service we've received from the LA VAC?

Thanks so much,
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic