Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Preserving Permanent Residence Status
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Entering Canada on expired PR card

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geniusmagic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Entering Canada on expired PR card
    Posted: 29 May 2017 at 5:45pm
Hi - I have a Canadian PR status but have been living in US on work visa for last 5 years . My PR card expired in 2014 and I never renewed it. I have not been to Canada since 2012

Now I have a need to visit family in Canada and was wondering what are my options.

Can I enter Canada by road in a private vehicle with an expired PR card ?

Can I enter Canada and surrender them my expired PR card and also my status but expect them to let me in for one time before they take away the status ?

Does any of the above option have any chances of letting me in ?

I have no intention of living in Canada and would be returning back in days . I know that a visitor visa is apt for my status but I do not  know if I am eligible for one and how long would it take in my situation.

Thanks for reading!
geniusmagic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geniusmagic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2017 at 7:52am
Thank you.

So it seems like , from your response, that there is no guarantee that I would be let in.
I have to wrap up my affairs and visit family there so its important that I am able to go in once since I would be travelling with my wife and child ( who is a US citizen ).

If I decide to give it a shot - What are the negative repercussions  of being issued a departure order ( I would have departed anyway before it came ) and PR revocation as compared to 
voluntarily giving up PR ?

What is the best option under these circumstances then -  is it recommended that I 
voluntarily give up my PR and obtain a visitor visa instead ? How time consuming is the 
process to relinquish PR status ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geniusmagic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 9:33am
anyone ?
minmin30 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minmin30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 4:14pm
I have the same problem. I have pr but I dont yet have a pr card. I have a multiple entry visitor visa to Canada. I am wondering if I can use that to enter Canada for a few days.
minmin30 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minmin30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 4:24pm
Can someone please advise !!
I have a multiple entry visitor visa to Canada. I recently have done my landing procedure in Canada as a PR. I do not have a pr card yet because I had to come back to USA within a week of landing. I now have to make another trip to Canada for a few days. Can I enter Canada with my visitor visa or do I need to apply for a prtd?
Any help will be appreciated. I try to call ircc but there is no response :[

Thanks!!!
pmm View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 7:48pm
Hi

Originally posted by minmin30 minmin30 wrote:

Can someone please advise !!
I have a multiple entry visitor visa to Canada. I recently have done my landing procedure in Canada as a PR. I do not have a pr card yet because I had to come back to USA within a week of landing. I now have to make another trip to Canada for a few days. Can I enter Canada with my visitor visa or do I need to apply for a prtd?
Any help will be appreciated. I try to call ircc but there is no response :[

Thanks!!!

1. No, as it was probably cancelled when you "landed". You will have to obtain a PRTD.
PMM
minmin30 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minmin30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 7:51pm
The multiple visa valid for 10 years was not cancelled. However I spoke to CIC and the agent has advised I cannot use the visa as it will be a misrepresentation of fact. I will have to apply for a PRTD. 
minmin30 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minmin30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 7:52pm
Thanks for replying though...
colin View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Immigration Attorney

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2017 at 2:12pm
In order for you to enter Canada, you will first need to renounce your permanent residence status by applying for a voluntary renunciation. Once that is done, you can then apply for a visitor visa if you need one to enter Canada. To determine whether you need a visa to enter Canada, you can visit the following link: http://www.immigration.ca/canada-visit-tourist-visa/
Colin Singer, Canada Immigration Lawyer & Managing Partner, immigration.ca

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geniusmagic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2017 at 11:29pm
How long does it take to renounce the PR ? Is it a complicated process and does it take weeks or months ?

Also - what do you think of the other option of trying to enter canada as a PR ( by road from US ) even though PR card has expired ? Can I just surrender the PR there and seek one last entry as  PR for few days ?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic