Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Skilled Worker / Independent Immigration
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Partner's Status Question and general assessment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Partner's Status Question and general assessment

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ajimenez0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Partner's Status Question and general assessment
    Posted: 27 Apr 2017 at 4:52pm
Hello,

First time here. 

I live in California and I'm about to apply as a Skilled Worker through Express Entry. I'm not married, but I have lived with my girlfriend for over 6 years now. We're both Venezuelans. Now, she came to the US in 2009 and applied for Political Asylum that was denied and she decided to stay. Right now she has no status. Could this be an obstacle for our process? I did an evaluation and I have a good score and we did our IELTS tests recently with excellent results. We also have no criminal record whatsoever.

We were urged to create our profile so we could go in the pool as soon as possible but I sent my paperwork to ICAS for review (my US degree is what gives me my good score and increases my chances to be invited). Technically, I should get an answer in the next 3-4 weeks for my ECA. Also, we more than satisfy the funds for settlement for two people, per immigration requirement.

So, could my girlfriend's non-status in the US derail the application? I was told that she could leave to the US and get her visa stamped in Mexico and enter Canada without problems but that would set us apart and I'm worried.

I really appreciate anybody's time in reading this and I will be thankful of your response.

Angel.
ajimenez0 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ajimenez0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2017 at 2:51pm
Hey guys,

Anyone?

Thanks!
ajimenez0 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ajimenez0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2017 at 1:31pm
Cry
pmm View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2017 at 5:43pm
Hi

Originally posted by ajimenez0 ajimenez0 wrote:

Hello,

First time here. 

I live in California and I'm about to apply as a Skilled Worker through Express Entry. I'm not married, but I have lived with my girlfriend for over 6 years now. We're both Venezuelans. Now, she came to the US in 2009 and applied for Political Asylum that was denied and she decided to stay. Right now she has no status. Could this be an obstacle for our process? I did an evaluation and I have a good score and we did our IELTS tests recently with excellent results. We also have no criminal record whatsoever.

We were urged to create our profile so we could go in the pool as soon as possible but I sent my paperwork to ICAS for review (my US degree is what gives me my good score and increases my chances to be invited). Technically, I should get an answer in the next 3-4 weeks for my ECA. Also, we more than satisfy the funds for settlement for two people, per immigration requirement.

So, could my girlfriend's non-status in the US derail the application? I was told that she could leave to the US and get her visa stamped in Mexico and enter Canada without problems but that would set us apart and I'm worried.

I really appreciate anybody's time in reading this and I will be thankful of your response.

Angel.

1. No, her status won't be an obstacle, but it will slow down the processing.
PMM
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic