Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Family Class Sponsorship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Statutory Declaration Letters

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canirish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Statutory Declaration Letters
    Posted: 27 May 2010 at 9:04pm
Just wondering what kind of things people are having their friends or family state in the Statutory Declarations? Any kind of suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Thank youSmile
peachy871 View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peachy871 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2010 at 10:03pm
Hi! We had our friends and family write about how they knew us and what they produced actually turned out to be quite nice! Some friends mentioned things about often coming to our home to spend time with us, outings we had, my family also mentioned their impression of my partner and how much they are looking forward to our arrival in Canada, etc. I didn't really tell folks much about what to write other than that they needed to make a legal statement about the fact they know us, how they know us, how long they have known us and that they know our relationship to be genuine and ongoing. We were actually touched by what they all ended up writing!

While it was nice to hear, the main point is that they talked about the facts. A wishy-washy letter would be no good if they didn't get to the point in that content. Make sure they keep that in mind.
Peachy
peachy871 View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peachy871 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2010 at 10:04pm
OOPS!!! Just reread that and I should have written "...about how often they came to our home..." Can't believe I typed that!!! lol
Peachy
audball View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote audball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2010 at 1:14am
I included 2

I left it pretty open ended for them to include whatever they wanted.

I only asked that one friend include how long she has known my husband and I to be friends, and then more. That's because I simply did not save any proof of our friendship from way back before I had any idea we'd end up this way. Her letter kind of was our proof
Saya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2010 at 10:05am
I had two statutory declaration letters that were notarized (as per requirement for common law) one from my mom and one from his dad. Then I had 7 letters from family, friends and our family doctor in Canada. The letters were not notarized but had a photocopy of their ID to verifiy their signature.

The statutory ones were in the form of questions and answers, how do you know the applicant/sponsor? how long? etc etc.

The letters were just that, a letter. Stating who they were how they knew who, when they met so and so. They also stated gatherings and events that we all participated together and their impression of our relationship. Also since appling as common law many stated when we started living together and when they've been over to our apartment. They were about a page typed, some hand wrote it as they felt it was more personal.

Good Luck!
Meds - Apr 13/10
App rec'd CPC-M - Apr 21/10
Sponsor Aprvd - May 27/10
App In Process/Meds Rec'd - Jun 16/10
DM - July 27/10
PPR via Email - Aug 4/10
PP w/ VISA - Aug 24/10
CommonLaw - London
canirish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canirish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2010 at 7:39pm
Thanks for all of your responses. Saya just a quick question for you; I didn't realize that for Common-Law you have to have 2 of the letters notarized. Did you get the letters notarized yourself or did the author of the letters do this? Thanks again! :)
audball View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote audball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2010 at 7:50pm
the author has to because they're the ones signing the declaration. you cannot sign and have notarized something which is written by someone else
peachy871 View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peachy871 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2010 at 5:23am
audball said it best.

Reason for the notarized signature is that the notary who puts his/her signature on it is attesting to the fact that he/she confirmed that the author is who they say they are and that he/she witnessed the author affixing their signature to the document.

Same thing goes for your own Statuory Declaration of Common-Law Union.
Peachy
Saya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2010 at 11:50am
I think its in the checklist somewhere needing the two stat dec. It's the author that needs to sign the document in front of the notarizer to confirm it's them signing the document.
Meds - Apr 13/10
App rec'd CPC-M - Apr 21/10
Sponsor Aprvd - May 27/10
App In Process/Meds Rec'd - Jun 16/10
DM - July 27/10
PPR via Email - Aug 4/10
PP w/ VISA - Aug 24/10
CommonLaw - London
britincanada View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britincanada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2010 at 1:18pm
We had 2 signed by Notary public; one Tims sister wrote as we see her often and one that Tims parents jointly attested too as we have lived in their house together for the majority of the past 4 1/2 years! So I felt these two declarations would hold the most weight! My dad also wrote on and his Common-law partner, my sister wrote one, Tims Cousin and Aunt also wrote one...I also have one from my ex-finance confirming when we split up etc...

When I recieved the ones from my dad and his common law partner/Girlfriend it was obvious to me that my dad had written them both but they each signed their own letter...Will this be a problem? I know from looking around for a notary public that you can pay to have declarations drawn up for you!
App received by CPC-M 1/06/10
Sponsorship approved 29/06/10
In Process 15/07/2010
VISA & PP Recvd 22/09/10
LANDED 29/09/10
ELIGIBLE TO BECOME CITIZEN 4/11/2012
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic