Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Preserving Permanent Residence Status
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Humanitarian Grounds

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pbenedict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Humanitarian Grounds
    Posted: 25 May 2010 at 11:14pm
Hello,

I have been a permanent resident of Canada since 1967. Unfortunately, I was in an accident that has  left me with life time disabilities. Fortunatly, the symptoms can be treated with holistic medicines and treatments, but these are not covered by the government, and I can not afford the high costs. Through the aid of a family member, I have been undergoing said therapies in Thailand since 2008. I have only been in Canada for 4 0f the last 30 months, and I need at least a few more years of therapy.

My PR card expires on April 2114.

Can/will the government allow me to stay out of Canada -past the statutory limit- on humanitarian grounds?

I am starting to worry about this matter, so all information is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Paul.
Harmonia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harmonia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2010 at 2:41pm

I wouldn't risk it... but, if you have to:

H&C requires you have strong ties to Canada (home/property here, bank accounts, family, etc.).  It also requires that there will be some hardship somewhere along the line.  H&C cases are tough ones and take a long time to play out.

Have you thought about consulting an immigration lawyer.  Not to take your case necesarily - but to explain what your options are regarding your situation.

Citizenship App Sent: December 2012
canvis2006 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canvis2006 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2010 at 3:14pm
I'm surprised you never applied for citizenship in all those years.
Yep, better return or get advice from an immigration lawyer
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic