Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Family Class Sponsorship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hong Kong

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 48>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SlySi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2010 at 7:31pm
King125, Rhonald,

If you have time. Do you mind explaining your timelines?
Iv tried reading over and over your messages. Unfortunatley its a little unclear.

Please and thanks.
king125 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote king125 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2010 at 7:55pm
Rhonald, we were married in China, Dec 2008. I applied to bring her to Canada when I returned home and was approved to sponsor her in Feb 2009. On March 18, 2009 they opened her application in Hong Kong. Since then the only feed back we have received was when I sent a Case Specific Enquiry or contacted my MP.
Rhonald View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2010 at 7:20pm
Sorry King125 - Just arrived back from China today. Already missing her Unhappy

Had a futile attempt at the Canadian consulate in HK were being a Canadian citizen just doesn't matter. I will give details latter on the two unsuccessful trips there.

As for my time line - it is almost identical to yours except add another 2 months to it.

Feb. 12 2009 - Registered marriage
May       2009 - approved as sponsor
June 18 2009 - HK starts processing and the great wait begins.
king125 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote king125 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2010 at 5:14am
Well, in two weeks, it will be 14 months since Hong Kong received her applicaton and still no word from Hong Kong, just complete silence
Rhonald View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2010 at 12:21pm

King125 I can feel your frustration. I share in your pain as I base my future timeline on your success. Since you hear next to nothing, I expect the same for us. I will share my experience with my futile visit to the Hong Kong consulate.

My plane would leave Hong Kong at 11:45 am on Wednesday April 21st so I knew that I needed to be at the airport no later then 10:00 am. On Monday morning I sent an email to the consulate saying that I would go there on Tuesday afternoon. In my email I stated that I was bringing additional proof of our ongoing relationship such as extra photos, ticket stubs on 3 more visits to China, and a years worth of moneygram receipts. I also said that my main wish, being that I knew the consulate was busy, was to drop off the documents, but if possible I would like to have a quick chat with a VO officer that was processing our case.

Tuesday morning I checked my email and had no reply. I had figured that I would not hear from them. We arrived at the consulate at about 2:00 pm and proceeded to the 12th floor.  The security glass doors into the consulate was closed and manned by a security officer. He would open the doors briefly to let people out. The waiting area in the consulate had about 6 people waiting to see someone. We were not allowed in and through the glass doors had to state our business. When I said that I wished to drop of documents and maybe see someone, I was told that only by mail would they accept the documents. I stated that the website only mentioned applications needed to be mailed and that we already had an application and I had the file number with us. I also said that the website said that temporary visas could be dropped off in person to the secretary so I wished to drop off the additional proof to the secretary as well. He took our passports and inquired to a person behind the counter. He came back and said that the office was only open between 8:00 & 10:00 am. He said that the person behind the counter mentioned that if we came back the next day between 8:00 & 10:00 am and we had filled in a Case Specific Enquiry that maybe someone would see us. He did not promise us but said we could try. We thanked him for his effort and departed to prepare for tomorrow.

Our hotel was not close to the consulate and with my plane leaving that day, we arrived at the consulate at 7:45 with suitcases in tow. The 12th floor was already filled with a line of people waiting for the doors to open. We squeezed in the very back. Once the doors opened, the security officer started screening the people trying to get in. Some people were sent away and those that were allowed accesses had their bags checked. By 8:20 we arrived at the doors. He remembered us and took our passports and Case Specific Enquiry to the same lady behind the counter. After a brief discussion he returned and said that yes we could enter and maybe see a VO officer BUT, while pointing to our luggage, he stated that we could not take them into the consulate nor leave them in the 12th floor elevator lobby. We had to find a place that would hold my suitcases. I understood the security reasoning and we went back down the elevator to find a place to cache the baggage. My wife did not get the jest of the reasoning since on the main floor lobby she asked if they would watch them there. She also suggested the bank that was on the main floor. I tried to explain to her the heightened security now in the world because of 9/11. I said that maybe a hotel would allow us to check in our baggage so we left the building to find a nearby hotel. Across the road was the subway that we took to arrive here. She got excited and suggested that a store in the subway might hold our bags. I allowed her to try by asking but was convinced and correct that they would not take them either. We did find 2 blocks away the Mandarin Oriental Hotel that said the bag check in was for guests only but they would make an exception and took our bags. We got back to the consulate at 8:50 waited in line briefly, and then the security officer waved us forward checked my wife’s purse and let us in. He gave us a ticket and said to wait for our number to be called. By 9:20 I was getting worried because I still needed to get to the airport. My wife called over another security officer and showed my flight itinerary to her. She took the itinerary and showed it to the same lady behind the counter. The lady called us up and asked what we wanted. I would not be able to see a VO officer anymore so I asked if at least that I could drop of the extra documents of proof for our case file. She said that only by mail would they accept the documents. I mentioned, once again, that the website said that temporary visa applications and courier deliveries were accept in person so I was hopping to do the same. My rational was that delivering in person would be additional proof of the seriousness of our commitment. How many other Canadian sponsors take the time out to make an appearance? But my attempt at persuasion fell on deaf ears. Only by mail would they accept the additional proof. So poof – my hopes were dashed as I needed to dash back to the hotel, gather my bags, and depart for the airport.

I wonder if I had the extra time weather I would have gotten the chance to speak with a VO officer. Now I will never know. I hope that at least they remember that we had been there and when we mail in the additional proof I will make a copy of this posting for even an additional proof. I like to thank the security officer (I should have gotten his name) because he did try for us, but for the secretary – I can understand a policy set in place to discourage the locals from hounding their office, but how often does a Canadian, which I might add pays their salary, show up to be assisted. I sure hope I get better service if ever left stranded overseas, but alas I feel that the Canadian government abroad is meek in deed.

chipsfan7mary4 View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chipsfan7mary4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2010 at 3:47pm
I had a good experience when I went to the Embassy with my wife for her interview.  Of course she was scheduled for it but the guard was friendly and a little surprised to see me.  The Canadian sponsor rarely goes to the interview or to the Embassy. 

I have to say that I am impressed with the patience you guys are having.  The Beijing guys get there cases processed in 3 months or so.  It is totally unacceptable.  I guess my wife and I waiting for 8 months was nothing.  Keep up the hope and it will all be over soon.  Good luck and keep posting the updates.
SlySi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SlySi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2010 at 3:59pm
Im also impressed with the patience you 2 have.
Thats ridiculously long.

Did either of you recieve a letter about an interview being needed?

June.1/09 (Married)
Aug.21/09 (CIC Received)
Oct.6/10 (Dec 7 Interview)
Dec.7/10 (Interview Passed)
March.9/11 (Couriered Passport to HK)
March.29/11 (Decision Made)
March.30/11 (Passport Rtnd)
chipsfan7mary4 View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chipsfan7mary4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2010 at 4:16pm
I am the only one I think who has ever had an interview.  I got the update on ECAS.  It had a date for the interview.  My wife got a letter 3 weeks later with the same date.  This is different then now.  There wasn't a 120 day wait time to set the date for the interview.  It was just set and we had to go.  We had to show up on the date requested and take a number and wait for our turn.
SlySi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SlySi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2010 at 4:44pm
Thanks for the quick response chipsfan7mary4,

But, I was referring to Rhonald and King125.
Its been 14 months, and zero responses. Not even a letter to possible interview?

June.1/09 (Married)
Aug.21/09 (CIC Received)
Oct.6/10 (Dec 7 Interview)
Dec.7/10 (Interview Passed)
March.9/11 (Couriered Passport to HK)
March.29/11 (Decision Made)
March.30/11 (Passport Rtnd)
Rhonald View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2010 at 5:22pm
King is at 14 months and I am at 10.5 months. Ecas has not shown any changes and based on what King125 gets - he has done a request see page 2 on this blog - I figured 14 months before I can send in a request. I went to the consulate with the hopes of getting an update. Instead of rushing those last few hours, I should have spent the time with my wife enjoying a nice quiet brunch. I would have left Hong Kong on a high note instead of B...eing Flat Unhappy

Yes when I read how fast the Beijing thread is, it gets frustrating. Good fortune for them but what an ordeal for us here.

When I was over in October for our official wedding celebration (registered our marriage on Feb 12), my wife did have an interview with the Shenzhen police. She thought this meant that our visa would be quickly done. I do not know if the Canadian consulate requested the interview or the Mainland Chinese government requested it. I think now that the reason for the interview was to clear up her background information. On her visa application she has her biological parents listed - both are still alive. But she was raised by foster parents in northern China - both have died. Her foster mother was her auntie via her father's side. SO I worry that this is one reason for our delay.

Edited by Rhonald - 03 May 2010 at 5:30pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 48>
  Share Topic