Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Visa / Temporary Entry Topics > Visit Visa
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visitor Visa - Not 6 Months

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cygnus2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Visitor Visa - Not 6 Months
    Posted: 10 Dec 2009 at 9:36am
My friend ran into one of the most bitchiest immigration officers yesterday while flying up to visit me here in Canada. He's going through a lot of personal issues at home in the States. He's an old friend and we were roommates for a few years from way back. I told him to come up, chill out for 6 months and then things will probably have calmed down.

The immigration officer grilled him for a few hours as to his reasons for coming up. She gave him a V-1, but set the expiration as 2 months and set that he must leave by February 8th.

Can anything be done to relax this limit? Is there someone we can appeal to, or try a weekend visit to New York and possibly reset the visitor visa at the border crossing? 
job_seeker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote job_seeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2009 at 9:58am
Sadly there are no appeals for being granted a two-month visit. Your friend can send an application to extend his stay before Feb 8 to CPC-V. He may not get the approval but will give him more time to stay in Canada (he'd be on implied status) until he received a decision. Extension requests takes 95 days on the average to finish processing. So he's been here almost, almost the desired months of stay.
canvis2006 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canvis2006 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2009 at 12:39am
damn, i thought canadian immigration was nicer, specially to americans...
tgchi13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tgchi13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2009 at 12:43am
No, Americans are not given preferential treatment.

Edited by tgchi13 - 13 Dec 2009 at 12:44am
tgchi ~
'so close, no matter how far, couldn't be much more from the heart, forever trusting who WE are and nothing else matters' Going State-side!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic