Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Preserving Permanent Residence Status
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

help in need....

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jake_ncht@yahoo.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: help in need....
    Posted: 18 May 2010 at 3:05am
can i renew my pr card 4 to 5 months until it expires?coz it takes 4 months of processing because i needed to go back to my country next year to continue my studies? wat will be the question they ask to me?and wat will be the things to be needed?

thank you guyz!i appreciate it a lot!
strive for the best.
[email protected] View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jake_ncht@yahoo.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2010 at 4:20am

and is it necessry to complete the 735 days  or can i apply 4 to 5 months before it expires?

strive for the best.
Beaver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2010 at 10:07am

Welcome to the forum.

By all means, go for it. You are already due to have it renewed. Customs officers in Canadian Ports of Entry routinely remind PR's to have their PR card renewed if they see the card has one year left of validity. Also keep in mind that processing time at CIC is longer nowadays - as of last check I think it's 160 days, or 120.

Your second post is kind of confusing though.

If you have been physically present in Canada for 730 days during the last five years, then you are safe to apply for the PR card renewal.
Beaver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2010 at 10:09am

They questions they will ask are, during the last five years: what your addresses, jobs, absences from Canada were. They might also ask you if you obtained Permanent Residency in a third country.

dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2010 at 11:52am
A person can indeed, and should apply for PR card renewal well prior to the expiration of their current PR card.

They should do so, however, only if they are eligible and in compliance with the residency requirement (730 days within five years).

Carefully review the guide for the application at:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/guides/5445E.PDF

and the application itself at:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/forms/IMM5444E.pdf

The particulars are pretty well spelled out, including the address, work and educational history, as well as travel and living outside Canada history, in the form.

That leads back to the residency requirement and what happens if you apply for PR card renewal even though you have not yet spent 730 days resident in Canada:

I interpret your question to mean that you have not yet spent 730 days in Canada, but there are enough days left to do so by the fifth anniversary of landing . . . so you are not (yet) in breach of the residency requirement . . . and so you are wondering if you can apply for the PR card renewal sooner than having been present in Canada for 730 days.

Technically, it appears the answer is yes. If you look at appendix A in the guide, it simply states that you must meet the residency obligation to obtain a PR card, and for someone who has been a PR for less than five years, the minimum requirement is: "show that you will be able to meet the minimum of 730 days physical presence in Canada at the five (5)-year mark."

However, I am not so sure that the technical answer is the best practical answer. If on its face (from what is provided in Section C) the application indicates less than 730 days in Canada as of the time the application is submitted, it seems plausible if not likely, that could trigger more scrutiny. To what end? Not at all sure . . perhaps any concerns/doubts/skepticism would be overcome by the fact that the applicant must appear in person to physically pick up the new PR card, and by then the residency obligation is met.

Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
[email protected] View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jake_ncht@yahoo.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2010 at 10:39pm

thank you guys for this,,here's my plan, my pr card will expires next year may 11 and and i have until have may 11 to complete my residency and i am sure to meet my obligation until may 11 2011,im not yet finished my residency and i have plan to travel to continue my studies back home urgent in the month of may after my pr expires. can i apply pr renewal before it expires 4 to 5 months early december or january? because i know that pr renewal will take about 4 months? that time i still have 4 or 5 months to finish my 730 days?

strive for the best.
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2010 at 12:46am
That question has been answered. Yes.

But Yes with caveats.

One of those caveats is that there is no guarantee right now as to just how long the time line is for processing the PR renewal application (seems to be creeping toward longer and longer, and that is for apps that go through the process without hitches).

A December app would seem to be in time enough to have the new card in order to travel in May, though it might actually take a little longer.

But that leads to another caveat: I am not at all sure, but it seems likely that an application for someone who has not yet spent 730 days in Canada could be scrutinized more closely . . . including, for example, subject to a more thorough background check . . . pushing the processing into additional queues which could mean an even longer time to process the application. So this is another reason why a December app might not be in time to have a new PR card with which to travel in May.

There are few if any guarantees in such bureaucratic processes.

This has been largely a reiteration of what has already been said.

But to be clear: yes you can apply ahead of time, but given your circumstances even that may not be enough to get your PR card in time for traveling in May, 2011.
Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic