Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Canadian Citizenship
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 7 years of suffering for waiting for my citizenshi
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

7 years of suffering for waiting for my citizenshi

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luckychai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 7 years of suffering for waiting for my citizenshi
    Posted: 26 Sep 2016 at 11:49pm
I found this site by searching and I registered in order to post my concern.

Here is my timeline

1.   We received your application for Canadian citizenship (grant of citizenship) on November 12, 2009.
2.   We sent you correspondence acknowledging receipt of your application(s), and a study book called Discover Canada on November 12, 2009.

3.   We started processing your application on November 2, 2010.

4.   Your file was transferred to the Moncton office on November 18, 2010. The Moncton office will contact you if additional information is required. The Moncton office will contact you regarding your citizenship test once all the necessary checks on your file are complete.

5.   We sent you a citizenship certificate on November 18, 2010. Please consider delays in mail delivery before contacting us.

6.   We sent you a notice on March 3, 2011 to appear and write the citizenship test on March 17, 2011 at 9:00 AM. The notice you will receive by mail will be your official confirmation of your appointment. If you have not received this notice prior to the date of your scheduled appointment, please contact us.

7.   We sent you a notice on March 3, 2011 to attend an identification appointment to have your documents and identity verified on March 17, 2011 at 9:00 AM. The notice you will receive will be your official confirmation of your appointment. If you have not received this notice prior to the date of your scheduled appointment, please contact us

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After the citizenship test on March 17, 2011, I had an interview with the lady official; and she gave me RQ. She told me to submit all the supporting documents in two weeks; and I did.

Since then; 5 years already and 7 years in total after I submit my application. They had never contacted me.

I started to get very concerned after 4 years has passed. I began to call the CIC in 2013, they told me in process. I asked my MP at that time to call on my behalf several times; and the CIC told them that it was under security background check. 

I thought well at least I am a permanent resident and I have patience. I called CIC again in around May 2015 constantly because it was like 6 years of waiting. They told me like 2 years before that it was “in process”.

I ordered the ATIP around September 2015; and I got it a month later. It stated like waiting for security clearance. I passed the test, I passed RCMP clearance. No prohibitions. 

Well, I thought my background security clearance would end soon. But, it was not the case. I had a new MP from the liberal party after they won the election. I contacted them like the end of last year. They contacted CIC on my behalf and I got the same answer that it was under security background check. 

I wrote a letter to Minister, to my local citizenship office St. clair, Scarborough, and it was no avail. They never answered me. I wrote the letter to all of them again in May this year, and I had never heard anything from anyone. My MP told me that there’s nothing they could do to help me anymore. 

I have been struggling in the past 2 years because of this matter. I ordered the ATIP again last month and I got it like yesterday. It stated that it was ongoing IMM (immigration clearance). I saw that they updated my RCMP clearance and it said passed. I also saw the criminal check that also stated passed. 

Well, I don’t know what to do anymore. I have done, I have tried and I have put all my effort into that. But, I guess my best wasn’t good enough. The CIC told me that I cannot do anything anymore; and the immigration officials don’t ask anything from me. I and my MP asked the CIC before if they need anything or any documents from me and they said “NO”.

I originally came from Thailand and I know deep in my heart that I have never get involved in any kind of politics. And Thailand is not the list of the country of terrorist. Therefore, I don’t understand why it is taking them so long to finish the background clearance.

Can someone give me advice please?
luckychai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luckychai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2016 at 11:50pm
My background,

I first came to Canada in March 2005 on temporary visa. I became a permanent resident in October 2007 through family class (I had a Canadian common law partner at that time). I was with him since day 1 I arrived until 2010. We were together for 5 years; 2 and a half year after I became a permanent resident. 

Since the first day I came to Canada until I applied for my citizenship; I absent from the country only 8 days. I only went to America with my ex-common law partner for 8 days in February 2009; and I declared it. So I was in the country like 4 years and 8 months before I submitted the application. 

God Knows; I have been through such mental anguish for waiting and waiting without knowing when the result will come. Someone told me that the CIC has unlimited power to prolong the application. They don’t have to tell me every detail regarding what’s going on with my application. 

I know that I have been treated unfairly by the CIC; but I can’t do anything to get my justice until I read about this story. 

I recently heard about Mandamus and I heard one person had similar situation regarding security background check; and he finally got what he wanted through Mandamus in 2010

It was quite long ago, I am wondering what about using Mandamus now? 

This is very painful moment for me and I don’t have unlimited patience. I think it’s time for me to stand up and fight to get my justice. 

Can anyone tell me the best Mandamus Lawyer that I can get one right away. I don’t have much money because I am on ODSP. But, if it will help me, I guess I will have to do it.   
cajancha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cajancha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 3:24pm
I sympathize. How's your case going on until now? Hope you get citizen eventually. If not, I think you may need to ask a good lawyer to solve your issue and meanwhile keep arguing with CIC. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic