Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Preserving Permanent Residence Status
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

PR Card renewal

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
KRM67 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRM67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PR Card renewal
    Posted: 31 Aug 2016 at 11:02pm
Thank you Dpenabill for your kind words.  I have read lot of your post on this forum on various topics and it has been a great source of information for not only me but for many like me who are immigrants or would be immigrants.

Thank you very much for all the help you provide to people like me

KRM67 
KRM67
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2016 at 10:59pm

Thank you for your posts KRM67: good and informative reporting, illuminating important aspects of the process for those in relatively similar situations.
Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
KRM67 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRM67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2016 at 9:04am
The application status remained in process for me for all of 14 months.  If you have not stayed for the two years than it is a big risk going out

KRM67
KRM67
KRM67 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRM67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2016 at 9:02am
I did complete the two year obligation, my total days present at the time of application were 736. I did travel with the expired card and had some trouble getting the travel document.

The calculation for days begins from the date of your application for PR renewal or Travel document.  In my case calculating backwards from date of application for Travel Document eliminated the time I spent in Canada when I became landed immigrant.  This brought my total count to below the two years and my application was rejected.  I appealed on humanitarian and compassionate grounds as I had traveled to take care of my mother who was recovering from a stroke, my application for PR renewal was already in process and the number of days were less than a month short.  This helped me in securing the travel document.

I also traveled to US recently by car and had no hassles coming back into Canada with expired PR card. What I understand is that you need to carry sufficient proof relating to your stay in Canada, landing document and expired PR card.  So this would be an option for you, driving to the nearest US airport and travelling from there.  

KRM67  
KRM67
Hamada123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamada123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2016 at 11:59pm
I checked my applic online , just saying in process . Im afraid if i go to my home town & apply for a travel document , they may say again "that ur PR is expired so we need a proof that u had stayed 2 years to issue u the new pr " at that time ill be stuck .
Hamada123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamada123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2016 at 11:57pm
Hi KRM67 , first of all , Congratulations . However 14 months from the date of sec review is too much . Plz tell me have u completed the required 2 years when you applied ? were you able to apply for a travel document when u travel to ur home town (in case ur pr is expired ) ?
KRM67 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRM67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2016 at 1:56pm
My application also went for secondary review as I also had cut it close, I received my renewed PR yesterday 14 months after my application went for secondary review and over 16 months from the date CIC received my application.

Once the application goes for secondary review, I believe there is no other option but to wait for it to be processed.  I contacted the MP and the minister both and they were not able to help me out at all.
KRM67
KRM67 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRM67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2016 at 1:50pm
Have you tried to check status online? If not, it might give a clue as to whether it was received.

KRM67
Hamada123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamada123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2016 at 12:03am
Hi Depenabill , Thanks so much for your concern and for your answer .
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2016 at 3:23pm
Originally posted by Hamada123 Hamada123 wrote:

Hi , I applied for Urgent processing for PR renewal after completing 745 days . i got the answer in 2 weeks which is fast .However , the bad news is that they sent me a letter saying that there will be a delay as i'll pass by a secondary review . I booked the air ticket as a proof of urgency as per CIC instructions for urgent cases. Im afraid that it will take many months or 1 year as i saw many people complain about the the length of time the secondary review caused . Plz advise if they will make the secondary review short as i applied for urgent processing OR will consider it a normal secondary review case . Thnx in advance for your cooperation .

The most likely scenario is that there will be no expedited processing. They might process your application more quickly, but it is far more likely they will not.

Obviously you cut-it-close, very close, relative to the PR Residency Obligation. Indeed, you have spent considerably more time abroad than in Canada. The purpose of PR status is to provide a way for individuals to come to Canada and settle in Canada permanently. So it is likely your situation will be scrutinized very closely.

The fact that you are not issued a new PR card does not prohibit you from traveling. It just means you will need to obtain a PR Travel Document for the return trip to Canada. Obviously, for someone who is cutting it so close, relative to complying with the PR RO, there is some risk in this. A PR abroad without a valid PR card is presumed to not have valid PR status. Add to that the fact that for a PR abroad more than in Canada, the natural, reasonable inference is that the PR was abroad any time it is not well-established the PR was in Canada -- after all, for any time which is not definitively shown to be in Canada, the PR was more likely to be where the PR was most of the time . . . and if most of the time the PR was abroad, the reasonable inference is the PR was abroad.

The prudent course of action may be to alter your travel plans.

Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic