Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Canadian Citizenship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pregnant in the Phillipines

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lie222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pregnant in the Phillipines
    Posted: 05 May 2010 at 3:05pm
Hi everyone i really need HELP! We're new immigrant from the Philippines. I went to Canada together with my husband who is the principal applicant and my 3 year old son last November 17 2009. The expiry of our visa was December 22, 2009. We just stayed for almost a month and a half in Mississauga where my husbands brother lived. The 3 of us got our PR CARD which will expire December 2014 and have our SIN Number as well but we were not able to get OHIP coz it requires 3 months of stay. We intended to be back to the Philippines because my husband is still working here and intended to be back to Canada middle of this year for good. Now the problem is this... I'm 2months pregnant which we really didnt planned but since its already here i belive its a blessing on our part. My question are:

1. If we will not go back yet to Canada and ill deliver my child here in the Philippines what shall i do for the processing of the babies documents for us to bring the child together with us when we go back to Canada mid next year? is the processing for the child document difficult? how many months would it take?

2. Since this is really an unexpected happening so my Husband cannot go with me because he planned to resign next year and my son as well cannot go with me because we already enrolled him to preschool and we paid already for the whole year tuition fee. If ever i'll go to Canada alone before my delivery date which is hopefully January of next year and they say that the plane would only allow untill the 5th month of pregnant woman. Can i apply OHIP alone even without my husband who is the principal applicant? Will they not question me why he is in the Philippines while im in Canada?

I really need your help because i really don't know what to do. Please i need your help!

Thank you so much!

blackpearl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackpearl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2010 at 3:18pm
1. If you have your baby in the Phillipines, you will have to sponsor the baby to become PR. You or your husband have to come to Canada and start sponsorship application (it cannot be done from outside Canada). Once PR is granted for the baby, you can bring the baby to Canada.

2. If you have your baby in Canada, the baby will get Canadian citizenship. You can apply for health card independently. Once all of you landed, there is no notion of 'principal' applicant or dependant. 
As I know, airlines allow pregnant women up to their 36 weeks to fly, but check with each airline. 

Congratulations on  your pregnancy!
canvis2006 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canvis2006 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2010 at 3:18pm
As a new immigrant, you should familiarize yourself with CIC website, because you will deal with CIC on these matters and others in the future.

-If you deliever child in Phillipines, you will have to sponsor child in order for child to go to Canada with you. Check www.cic.gc.ca for related details.

-If you deliever child in Canada, child will be Canadian by birth. No sponsorship involved.

Some provinces (as you are already aware) have a mandatory 3-month waiting period before provincial medical coverage begins. If any hospital expenses occur before that you will either pay medical bills (huge) or must obtain medical insurance coverage for first 3 months.

It is your choice to make decisions based on your preferences.
Remember, Permanent Residents must comply with residency obligations. Details are available on CIC website.

Before you ask further questions, check in detail the website of CIC at:

www.cic.gc.ca

kal_ottawa View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kal_ottawa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2010 at 3:40pm
If you stay here during the first 3 months, pay to have a medical coverage. It can cost a lot of money if you see a doctor without insurance.
For the question about flighing pregnant depends on the airline. My wife took a plane with air canada at 7 months. You need a note from your doctor saying that you are in good shape.
If you deliver your child in canada you will have less trouble.
good luck
|sent:dec14,2009|received:dec16|ecas:may21|letter:jun10|process:nov11|transfer:jan05|FP:feb01|test:mar15|oath:apr20,2011|
COO View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote COO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2010 at 4:05pm
Hello,

The members above are correct, if you have the baby in Phillipines, you would have to sponsor for PR.  However, there are two options to have the baby in Canada.

The first is you have the baby in Ontario but pay all the expenses.  Insurance companies are not going to cover you now because you are already pregnant and they would never be able to recover the cost of your delivery by the premiums you pay.  This would be considered a pre-existing condition and would not be covered.

The other option is that you take up residence in another province like Manitoba, as there is NO three month waiting period in this Province.  You are covered as soon as you apply for your health card.  You would need a bank statement or some other document with an address in Manitoba to prove that you reside there.  The only Provinces that have a waiting period are Ontarioand British Columbia.  New Brunswick recently removed the waiting period for new immigrants (see link below for article)

After you have the baby, you can always move back to Ontario.  You can then apply for your Ontario health card.

I hope this helps.
App 28/8/06
Doc 17/9/08
Med 12/8/09
LND 7/2/10
In Times of Change, Learners Inherit the Earth, while the Learned find Themselves Beautifully Equipped to Deal with a World that No Longer Exists
mississauga5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mississauga5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2010 at 7:53pm
lie 222
do what ever you want but my advise is that get the baby deliverd in canada, as it takes a long time to get your child sponsered in case you deliver in your home country
Beaver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2010 at 8:53pm
Lie222. if you have no relatives in Canada then that can be a problem because what if you go into labor? Calling 9-11 is an option (can be expensive, especially if it's a false alarm).

If you have relatives in Canada, I think it's better to just come here and give birth to your baby for the short term - just handle the separation from your family for a bit. Apply for medicare when you arrive but the visits to the obstetrician may probably cost you for the first few months.
lie222 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lie222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2010 at 9:06pm
Thank you so so much everyone for your help.

Clarification:

1.So that means if i choose to give birth here in the Philippines we need to leave the baby here and we will process the petition their in Canada we cant do the processing here in the Philippines?

2. If ill go their in Canada with 4-5month old tummy and prefer to go to Ontario ill not be covered by OHIP anymore even if i will apply asap when i arrive their?

Thanks so much for your help!
blackpearl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackpearl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2010 at 9:33pm
1. If you give birth in the Philippines, only one of you need to come to Canada to start the sponsorship process. 

2. If you choose to stay in Ontario, you need to wait 3 months before you can be eligible for OHIP coverage. Same thing in BC or Quebec.
If you stay in provinces like Saskatchewan, Alberta, Manitoba, you can apply for health coverage immediately.
m1005 View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1005 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2010 at 10:35pm
We were in a similar situation. I cannot go into details here, I just say that childbirth is much more important event of your life than possible moving to Canada. If it is easier and safer for you to deliver your child in your home country - do so. Do not listen to anybody. Documents and paperwork should be secondary.

You may postpone moving to Canada for a couple of years. You just need to satisfy residency requirement - you will need to be present in Canada for 732 days out of 5 years after becoming permanent resident. This gives you at least two years before going to Canada. It is quite possible to sponsor a newborn child.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic