Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Visa / Temporary Entry Topics > Study Visa
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Study Visa/Permit extension

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AfzalivE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Study Visa/Permit extension
    Posted: 01 May 2010 at 2:30pm
Hello,

My study visa and study permit are expiring on 17th August and I want to go back to my country during the summer (right now my plane ticket is confirmed for May 15th).

I have some questions:

1. Should I apply for renewal of both in Canada? I have gathered that first I need to apply for the renewal of Study Permit and then apply for the renewal of TRV from Buffalo, problem is...this will probably take up all of the summer.

2. Can I apply from my country (Pakistan)? The International Students office of McMaster told me that they will renew both the Visa and Permit at once.

3. Can I come back to Canada on August 10th (or so) and apply for renewal of Permit then and later apply for the renewal of Visa?

What happens if I apply for permit on say August 14th and my Visa expires on 17th, will the "Implied Status" still apply and will I be able to stay and study in Canada still?

Thank you
AfzalivE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AfzalivE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2010 at 3:29pm
please help...?

also, I saw that Permit renewal should be applied for 30 days before expiry, so is it possible that I depart from Canada mid-May and come back on something like July 10th and apply then?
AfzalivE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AfzalivE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2010 at 2:36pm
please help guys...this is really very urgent
Harmonia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harmonia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2010 at 3:48pm
If you apply within Canada you have what is called 'implied status' until the decision is made (approval or denial of extension). 

Because you have a valid visa until August 17th, technically you should be able to leave Canada and return without issues (providing you are returning while your study permit is still valid).

The TRV is just a visitors visa with the permission to study -- I'm pretty sure they are one and the same - but please look into this.

Again, technically speaking you should be able to return to Canada before the expiry of the visa and then send in an application to 'extend / change conditions of your stay'.  I believe that you maintain implied status until the decision is made.

My spouse is about to experience the same thing.  Her permit expires in July, and she will be applying for an extension - but is waiting for acceptnace letters from the university - which might not arrive for another month.

In the meantime, we're travelling out the country -- we've done it a few times with no entry problems --- but she is from a visa-exempt country.

We're both counting on the 'implied status' being valid.  It looks like CIC has a 60 day timeline for extensions...   If that's the case, our extention should go in tomorrow --- but we're not ready.

Citizenship App Sent: December 2012
AfzalivE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AfzalivE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2010 at 8:31am
Thank you for the reply

As I got informed by some of my friends and family, actually Pakistan Immigration tries to make an issue out of this if the permit expires in a month, dunno why...maybe to get some under the table money.

therefore I have applied already, hope to get it soon

I don't think they're the same though because from what I've read, the visa is issued by the Canadian Embassy in Buffalo and the permit is issued in Vegreville as you know.

I really appreciate the help

Edited by AfzalivE - 19 May 2010 at 8:32am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic