Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Family Class Sponsorship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Govt Assistance and Living Together Questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Megen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Govt Assistance and Living Together Questions
    Posted: 29 Apr 2010 at 4:03pm
Hello everyone! So I have all my proof put together and now I am just filling in the paperwork. I had two questions.

My husband for about 3 months this past year went on unemployment here in B.C. He is no longer on it as he has a full time job (has for over 6 months now) and previously to that he had worked full time for 2 years for a company, but they had layoffs. From what I can tell on the application is that he can sponsor me since he is no longer on unemployment, however since he was on it for a brief time will that hinder his chances for sponsoring me?

My second question is on from IMM5490 question number 28. Are you currently living with your sponsor? Yes or No. If no When did your Sponsor return to Canada. My husband did not return to Canada. My student visa expired and I moved back to the states. So how I would answer? Would I explain it in the box above even though its meant for an explanation when you answer no?

Thanks in advance!
rbenoit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rbenoit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2010 at 4:11pm
1st question... Unemployment Insurance (EI) is not considered as Gov't assistance. Gov't assistance is in lame terms "welfare". Your husband will have no problems as a result of having made a claim for EI.

2nd question. If you are not curerntly living with your spouse then you should answer No. As for the explanation.  You had to return to your native country as your visa had expired. This should not be a problem presuming of course your application is an Out of Canada application.

Cheers!!!
tanushree.tiku View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tanushree.tiku Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2010 at 1:24am

ditto....unemployment insurance is different from social welfare. Even if the sponsor is still on EI he/she is still eligible to sponsor...

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic