Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Preserving Permanent Residence Status
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Losing PR Card for declaring non-residency

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adds416 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Losing PR Card for declaring non-residency
    Posted: 29 Apr 2016 at 11:16am
I am in a dileama that I hope someone can answer for me. Me (canadian citizen) and my wife (canadian PR) moved to USA last year for a new job. However, since we are both still considered residents of Canada, I had to report US income and pay difference in tax, which was not a small amount. The only way to not report US income in Canada is to declare non-residency in Canada. 
My Question:
1) How can we declare non-residency in Canada? ie What forms to fill up?
2) Will my wife lose her PR card? Will she still be able to visit Canada once in a while?
3) What else will we (or have to) lose in the process? OHIP? Canada bank account? Memberships?
4) If we have to move back to Canada, how can get residency back?

Thanks in advance!
atlanticone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atlanticone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2016 at 10:21pm
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/op/op10-eng.pdf

your wife will not lose PR status. Each day a permanent resident is outside of Canada accompanying a Canadian citizen spouse, it is deemed a day of physical presence in Canada.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic