Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Family Class Sponsorship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New inland spousal - hi guys!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MD2B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New inland spousal - hi guys!
    Posted: 25 Apr 2010 at 5:02pm
StarHi everyoneBig smile

Ive been on this forum some time back, at that time my same sex partner and I were planning to go the conjugal partner route as it seemed impossible she would get a visitors visa from central america.
Well, the suprise was on us, when she did! and she arrived in October 2009. 

Here is our relationship timeline:
January 2008 - April 2008: email contact (professional only, as we were coordinating a volunteer project together, and had been put in contact by a colleague of mine who knew and recommended her)
May 2008: met in person
May 2008 - November 2008: together in central america (She is latin american). We were romantic together, but never committed to a formal relationship. (believe you me, its not easy having a lesbian relationship in that country!)
November 2008: I left her country to return to Canada as rumours of my (our) sexualities arose, causing me great social discomfort
December 2008 - April 2009: long distance romance continued (we formally became partners in february 2009)
April 2009 - July 2009: lived together as a couple in Costa Rica (we went to this third country so we would  have relative anonymity, could live together, share a bed and could pursue our relationship without much question)
August 2009 - Sept 2009: long distance again
October 2009 - present: living together in Canada
February 2010 - married in Canada

Here is our application timeline:
Feb 28th 2010 - Inland spousal application sent to CPC Vegreville, along with TRV extension, and OWP to be processed at time of first stage approval with respective fees for each paid online
March 3rd 2010 - Application received
April 24th 2010 - Sent in additional insurance info that wasnt available at time of application
And now the long wait begins!

Our proofs of relationship were extensive and involved a separate "Evidence of Relationship" Book that we had bound together (its possible to remove the binder if they wanted) at Staples. It was divided into sections as follows:
1. Letters of Support (about 10-12 stat decs from family, friends, our reverand, medical colleagues of mine). That being said both of our parents were against the principal of gay marriage idea (Catholics). though my parents have been making strides over the years to accept my sexuality, and further my wife.
2. Long Distance Communications: emails (screen shots of gmail pages to save paper), selected emails, chat logs, video screen shots, $300/400 per month phone bills, international text message bills, letters, cards, etc
3. Central America: flights, bus tickets, photos, insurance documents, apartment lease in costa rica, letter by landlord in costa rica (two americans who knew us as a couple), passport stamps for both of us, my visa bills showing my time in central america, in her city, and travel together, stat decs from people who knew us as a couple in costa rica
4. Canada: evidence of our cohabitation (landlord signed ammendment to my apt. lease to include her as a tenant), also included her name as payer on utility bill, joint chequing account, her medical insurance listed at our address, photos, stat decs from my family and friends wrt, her designation as spousal beneficiary on my life insurance
5. Wedding and Honeymoon: here we included our professional photos, a sample of our wedding invitation, lists of invitees and attendees (about 35 attended, 45 invited), stat decs from selected attendees, copy of our guest book, copy of honeymoon (tremblant) receipts, photos, ski and spa passes etc.  Of course also our Ontario marriage certificate, solemnization of marriage, and marriage licence. 
6. Gay Discrimination in Central America: we attached a section with evidence of what happens to "out" gay people in her country, and why she had never come out while in her country. She had never dated anyone at all at a mature age (after 30), I was her first relationship (and last!) :). 

Our photos were included in separate envelopes for each section. About 80 in total.

the rest of the required documents were arranged as per the document checklist, in the order asked for, and held together with a big clip. 

Thanks for reading and I welcome anyone especially in a gay relationship who has gone through immigration to contact me to share their experiences thus far. Or if anyone wants some tips on organizing the application, we have made mistakes but also have worked hard, so I may be able to suggest some ideas! 

I wish all of you the very best in your applications, and I thank you for your sure to be kind (re)-welcome to this forum!

Star
MD2B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MD2B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2010 at 7:15pm
Just for discussion our "points of concern" ie: ideas that keep us from sleeping are:
1. Age diff: 9 years (29 and 38)
2. Education diff: She has almost a BA (missing her thesis, dah) and MD for me
3. Parents didnt come to the wedding: in principle against legal gay marriages
4. Im in super amt of student debt (more debt than all of you combined I bet!) sigh.
5. dont have much soft evidence of our romantic involvement in her country (we were keeping it hidden, with no idea the future would warrant documentation for immig purpose). but we do have solid evidence thereafter.

scylla View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scylla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2010 at 7:22pm
Good luck! I hope you hear a positive answer soon.
Outland Spousal (Buffalo):
App recd: 05/28/2010
Sponsor approved: 06/28/2010
Processing started: 08/19/2010
Passport request: 10/01/2010
Landed: 10/05/2010
audball View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote audball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2010 at 7:45pm
Welcome.

I'm really happy things are working for you two. I love seeing equality really really happening in the world today. Such as you guys going from hiding your relationship to actually being married. And even convincing some Catholics to get used to things. :P

Ahhh it makes me smile and have hope for the world. Lameee, I know. But I'm bisexual and have been battling the Catholic issue and hate for years, even if i did end up with a man.

Congrats on finding happiness and good luck. Your love will shine through, no relationship is picture perfect. The debt is fine as long as you aren't bankrupt. You've, I'm guessing, explained your parents objections. You're old enough to not need their approval.

Don't worry, you'll be fine. Your proof sounds strong, convincing and thoroughly explained.
rdanny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rdanny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2010 at 3:24am
And I thought I was the only person on this forum, who's applying under the family class category as a same-sex couple.

I met my boyfriend (now husband) about one year before we decided to move to Canada for a few years. We got married in Canada and only his parents attended the wedding. We sent in about 20 pictures we took during 5 different vacations. There is no age difference, we're both 24. Regarding your student debt: Don't be too worried; my husband is just a student himself and couldn't proof an awful lot of income (at the time of application); we got our first stage approval, I was issued an OWP and I am currently waiting for the finalization of my permanent residence application.
Citizenship
Sent application 05-21-13
Re-sent w/ missing info 07-17-13
App received 07-22-13
Started processing 10-02-13
Received book 10-29-13
Received RQ - 02-24-14
Harmonia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harmonia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2010 at 9:52am

rdanny - you are not alone.  Add my wife and I to the list of same-sex family class spousal sponsorships :)

M_Vallee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M_Vallee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2010 at 3:52pm
Add me to the list as well. I'm sponsoring my husband to come up here too.

Edited by M_Vallee - 28 Apr 2010 at 3:52pm
MD2B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MD2B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2010 at 6:31pm
Yay for gay!
rdanny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rdanny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2010 at 12:01am
Maybe we should rename this thread Cool
Citizenship
Sent application 05-21-13
Re-sent w/ missing info 07-17-13
App received 07-22-13
Started processing 10-02-13
Received book 10-29-13
Received RQ - 02-24-14
audball View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote audball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2010 at 12:09am
You all make me super happy and proud. :)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic