Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Preserving Permanent Residence Status
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

PR returning to Canada after 2yrs+ absence

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KSAPR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PR returning to Canada after 2yrs+ absence
    Posted: 25 Apr 2010 at 4:46am
Hello Members,

I am Canadian PR ( including my family) and landed in Toronto in April 2008. I stayed for 1 week and returned back to Saudi Arabia where I am presently working. Now I am planning to return to Canada for good sometime in August 2010. I have with me both PR and SIN cards. The expiry on my PR card is April 2013. I would really appreciate members replies on my following queries:

1)Would I have any problem reentering Canada after approx 874 days of absence?
2)I have not filed any tax return as it was not applicable during my absence from Canada. Any issue on this?
3)I did not apply for health insurance or any other benefits when I was in Canada for 1 week. Any issue on this?
4)Do I need Returning Resident Permit to re-enter Canada?
5)I had declared my personal belongings in the customs to be shipped at a later stage at my first entry. Now if I send/ship my house hold personal belongings for the first time to Canada, will I have to pay any duty on my items.
6)If I bring fund in form of Bank Draft, is it taxable at a time of deposit to a local bank in Ontario?

Your above brief replies and advice will be highly appreciated. Thanking you in advance.

Saif

blackpearl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackpearl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2010 at 10:04am
1. No problem.
2. No problem
3. No problem. Some province requires you to stay a minimum of 3 months before you are eligible for health coverage anyway.
4. No. Returning resident permit has ceased to exist since the introduction on PR card.
5. No
6. No

dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2010 at 12:46am
Mostly ditto.

If I was answering first, I probably would have said, however, "probably no problem" since, well, there are are rarely guarantees and life is rarely definitive. But if limited to the specific issues you raise, yeah, blackpearl was right to say "no problem."

For example, basically you have until end of March 2011 (actually up to a date in April a few days after the date you landed in 2008) to return with there being NO issue about meeting the residency requirement (since 730 days are left before the fifth year anniversary). For another example, any goods you declared as "goods to follow" previously you should be able to import duty free . . . but of course that would not include items purchased since the previous date. And so on.
Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
KSAPR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KSAPR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2010 at 3:01am
Dear Members,

Thanks a lots on your advice, clarifications and valuable comments on the above topic. You all are doing a commendable job.

Thanks again and cheers.

Kind Regards,

Saif
Donvalley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donvalley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2010 at 7:06pm
Saif,
Don't worry and no problems. Count two years from the expiry date of your PR and enter before that date. This is to meet the minimum residency required for renewal of PR.
As far as your PR Card is not expired you can enter Canada. Read my earlier post for more details.

Sent-May 22|E-cas "Rcvd": Nov 16|
In Process: Jan 29 2010
|Transf:Mar 08|
Test:30 Aug Oath: 16 Sep
EaraL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EaraL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2010 at 9:57pm
hi guys i have few questions to ask:

i will be having my interview on 26 of May and im going back to Philippines in the same day right after my interview...is that gonna be possible to happen?
the paper that the immigration will be giving is not valid to show in coming back to canada...
is there anybody who have tried my situation???
pls give advice
thanks
have a great night!!!

Beaver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2010 at 12:43am
Hi EaraL:

This interview is for what, may I ask?

Are you a PR, or a foreign worker?

Why are you leaving right after the interview that you have mentioned?

Also, what paper from immigration are you referring to?

Thanks.
EaraL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EaraL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2010 at 4:28pm
HI Beaver.
This interview is for my permanent residency in canada...
I actually scheduled my flight last February 2010 and then my schedule for my interview received this April....this vacation was plan ahead of time withour even knowing my interview my be schedule as early as i got my flight...
the paper from immigration that they give right after the interview but it is not valid to re-enter canada...
somebody told me it is ok as long as i get travel documents in Philippines but i dont have really any idea abt those stuff...
thanks for having time to reply in my case...
canvis2006 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canvis2006 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2010 at 7:00pm
It is better you obtain your PR Card before leaving Canada.

As long as you become a PR before leaving, you would need to obtain a PR Travel Document from nearest Canadian mission to your vacation-place.....

Check the website of the Canadian embassy in Manila for information on how to apply for Travel Document.
(I'm sure you can find the website, if not, google it)
Beaver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2010 at 8:02pm
Yes I agree with Canvis that you should probably wait out a little bit, you have come this far. Anyway it's really up to you and how strong the desire is to see your family and friends again. I myself would be raring to go. Masarap magbakasyon sa Pinas. Wink (Translation: It is so good to have a vacation in the Philippines). 

As for obtaining travel documents as a vacationing foreign worker (I assume you are), I admit I don't know the procedures. Google as much information about the requirements when travelling abroad while on a work visa. I heard that you must get a new clearance from OWWA or POEA (I don't know which of the two or both) to be able to pass through Philippine immigration at the airport when you fly back.

This is what I found about leaving and re-entering Canada with a valid work permit:

http://www.soscanada2000.com/migration/newact/work/faq.html

May I leave, then re-enter Canada?

In order to return to Canada, you must be in possession of a valid passport or travel document. You also need to hold a valid work permit if you are returning to work in Canada.

If you are a citizen of a country that requires a temporary resident visa to travel to Canada, you will also need to be in possession of a valid entry visa to return, unless:

• you are returning to Canada following a visit only to the United States or St.-Pierre and Miquelon; and

• you return before the expiry of the period initially authorized for your entry or any extension to it, either as a visitor, student or worker.

Possession of these documents does not guarantee re-entry. All persons must establish that they meet all of the requirements of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and Regulations before being authorized to enter or re-enter Canada.

Edited by Beaver - 27 Apr 2010 at 8:05pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic