Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Visa / Temporary Entry Topics > Visit Visa
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Hoping to be able to obtain permanent residence
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hoping to be able to obtain permanent residence

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SammyjEverett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hoping to be able to obtain permanent residence
    Posted: 16 Feb 2016 at 1:48pm
Hello. I am looking to obtain permanent residency in Canada, primarily in order to be with (and eventually marry) my fiancé in Ontario, and also in order to obtain a job in order to support myself and be eligible for healthcare (including care for transgender needs) and other services while in Canada. I may eventually seek to become a Canadian citizen.

Would anyone here happen to know what I would require in order to obtain permanent residency and/or Canadian citizenship? I am 24 years old, currently a citizen of Maine in the United States, able to work and having had multiple jobs in the past which I had left on good terms (I am currently unemployed, though I plan to obtain a temporary job in order to raise funds prior to immigrating into Canada), and with some college education. I also have disabilities, with Asperger Syndrome being my primary disability, and I currently benefit from SSI due to said disabilities. I am currently able to provide provide a United States birth certificate and passport card; I will also be able to provide proof of my current United States residency via copies of bank statements and utility bills, and I plan to provide payment stubs from the temporary job I will be working in the US. Any info regarding further requirements will be necessary.

Thank you in advance for any help provided.
ski View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2016 at 11:02pm
I am no expert and hopefully someone can provide a better insight, but if you live together with your fiancée for at least 12 months then she could sponsor you for a conditional permanent resident status, which if you stay together for at least 2 years after you acquire it could be converted into full permanent resident status and eventually you will qualify for citizenship.

So the key here, if you are not married yet, is to live together, and for at least 12 months.

Another important consideration is your medical condition - it seems that at least some people with condition you mentioned were denied their applications for PR for medical reasons (potential burden for the healthcare system).

However, there probably is no universal rule here, and if you are indeed in love with your fiancée and want to live with her, I would go ahead, make sure you meet the 12-month cohabiting requirement (or even better - marry), and apply for PR.

Maybe you get approved, and then your goal is achieved.

If however you are denied, then this new information will help you reevaluate your options. Maybe you could consider living together in the U.S.A. or battle the system, win and still get your PR in Canada.

Good luck!
SammyjEverett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SammyjEverett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2016 at 11:45pm
Hm... In the meantime, what would it take for me to be able to rent an apartment and obtain a job in Canada? Though my priority is for me to be with my fiancé (who is male, by the way), I will need to be able to have a means of supporting myself during my stay.

I've been trying to inform myself better, but unfortunately, I was given inaccurate information when I tried to cross the border in order to get to him early in January, and as it turns out, there was a significant information blackout during the Harper administration, which is why nobody up until that point, not even those to whom I personally submitted my passport application to, were aware of a law change in 2009 which makes it much harder than it used to be to enter Canada. I've since found the most recent version of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations, which has given me several headaches due to the amount of time I've spent looking it over, crawling through the many references to other sections of the act. That's why I'm hoping to get assistance in this matter here.

Edited by SammyjEverett - 18 Feb 2016 at 12:05am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic