Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Family Class Sponsorship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Canada Experience class and Common Law Partner

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncnicole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Canada Experience class and Common Law Partner
    Posted: 21 Apr 2010 at 7:21pm
Hello! I am just starting out on my application for PR, and of course have loads of questions. My biggest concern is that I am applying under the Canadian Experience Class, and would like to include my common-law partner on my application. My partner is American, and I am Australian. We have a few documents to prove our common-law status, but not a very extensive list (we have been living together since Dec. 2008, but have only signed a joint release in February.We recently opened a joint bank account and I included my partner on my tax return this year) My question is- if immigration does not find there to be sufficient evidence of our Common-law relationship, will they turn down the entire application? Or will they still approve my application for PR, and just deny my partner? Any advice is appreciated! Thank you!
matthewc View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matthewc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2010 at 7:39pm
If they decided your common-law relationship was fabricated for immigration purposes, they could refuse your application too for misrepresentation.

That's very unlikely though, and not worth worrying about in my opinion. Just concentrate on continuing to collect more evidence of your common-law status. If you can't prove with a lease that you were living together since Dec 2008, you could also include bank statements, or other official letters addressed to each of you at the same address to show you were living together.

Read over OP2 sections 5.26 and 5.35 for more evidence you can include, and don't forget letters / statutory declarations from friends and family attesting to the fact you've been living together and are in a genuine, continuing relationship.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/op/op02-eng.pdf

"Correspondence addressed to either or both parties at the same address" is on the list.
e-CAS Tracker - Get notified when your e-CAS changes
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic