Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Visa / Temporary Entry Topics > Visit Visa
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Enquing about Wedding date in Marriage certificate
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Enquing about Wedding date in Marriage certificate

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anon24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Enquing about Wedding date in Marriage certificate
    Posted: 01 Feb 2016 at 5:10pm
Hi Guys,

I would really appreciate if someone can help me out with my concern.

I am currently working in Canada as a Temporary resident since 8 months. I got married couple of months back when i visited my home country and also got my marriage registered. I was in my home country from 1st Dec to 15th Dec. But i got my marriage registered with 25th Nov as wedding date (when i was not physically present in the country) on 5th Dec due to some family reasons. Some of the wedding traditions were done on 25th Nov which i attended remotely via video call and rest once i was in the country.

Now i need to apply for a dependent Visitor Visa (and possibly a Open work permit later) for my wife. Do you think mentioning the same date (25th Nov) as my wedding in the Visa application and submitting the marriage certificate proving the same would cause any issues with her Visa?

Thanks
pmm View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2016 at 2:29pm
Hi

Originally posted by Anon24 Anon24 wrote:

Hi Guys,

I would really appreciate if someone can help me out with my concern.

I am currently working in Canada as a Temporary resident since 8 months. I got married couple of months back when i visited my home country and also got my marriage registered. I was in my home country from 1st Dec to 15th Dec. But i got my marriage registered with 25th Nov as wedding date (when i was not physically present in the country) on 5th Dec due to some family reasons.<span style="line-height: 1.4;"> Some of the wedding traditions were done on 25th Nov which i attended remotely via video call and rest once i was in the country.</span>
<span style="line-height: 1.4;">
</span>
<span style="line-height: 1.4;">Now i need to apply for a dependent Visitor Visa (and possibly a Open work permit later) for my wife. D</span><span style="line-height: 1.4;">o you think </span><span style="line-height: 1.4;">mentioning</span><span style="line-height: 1.4;"> the same date (25th Nov) as my wedding in the Visa application and submitting the marriage certificate proving the same would cause any issues with her Visa?</span>
<span style="line-height: 1.4;">
</span>
<span style="line-height: 1.4;">Thanks</span>

1. If you use Nov 25 as the wedding date when you weren't there and participated by video, then CIC won't recognize the marriage.

Does CIC recognize marriages conducted by proxy, telephone, internet and fax?

No. As of June 10, 2015, CIC no longer recognizes marriages conducted abroad by proxy, telephone, fax, Internet or other similar forms of marriage where one or both parties are not physically present at the ceremony.

Applications received before June 10, 2015 are not subject to the new regulations.

An exception has been made for members of the Canadian Armed Forces who are unable to be physically present at their marriage ceremony due to travel restrictions related to their service. This applies to cases where the marriage took place outside of Canada and was registered in a foreign country where marriage by proxy is legal.
PMM
Anon24 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anon24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2016 at 3:59pm
Thanks a lot for the response.
That's a bad news for me :(

If this is the case, 
1. can you suggest as to how should i proceed with my own Visa and Work permit extension which i need to apply in next couple of weeks and as they ask for marital status and date in the application. I am not 100% sure if i will be able to get my current marriage certificate changed with a valid date or get a new certificate altogether immediately. I would be travelling back to my home country only in April.

2. And also if there is any other way which you can think of for applying my Wife's visa now so that she can travel along with me in May to Canada.

Would some kind of Affidavit work to prove the marriage on a different date?

Thanks
Anon24 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anon24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2016 at 8:07pm
Also, as the proxy marriage happened in India, my home country where its legal and has also been registered later in presence of both of us (certificate has a picture of both of us along with signatures)  should it not be considered as Legal even in Canada?
pmm View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2016 at 3:08pm
Hi

Originally posted by Anon24 Anon24 wrote:

Also, as the proxy marriage happened in India, my home country <span style="line-height: 16.8px;">where its legal </span>and has also been registered later in presence of both of us (certificate has a picture of both of us along with signatures)  should it not be considered as Legal even in Canada?

1. It would not be considered as legal in Canada for Immigration purposes.
PMM
Anon24 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anon24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2016 at 5:50pm
If this is the case, 
1. can you suggest as to how should i proceed with my own Visa and Work permit extension which i need to apply in next couple of weeks and as they ask for marital status and date in the application. I am not 100% sure if i will be able to get my current marriage certificate changed with a valid date or get a new certificate altogether immediately. I would be travelling back to my home country only in April.

2. And also if there is any other way which you can think of for applying my Wife's visa now so that she can travel along with me in May to Canada.

Would some kind of Affidavit work to prove the marriage on a different date?

Thanks
ski View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2016 at 8:19pm
Declare this marriage as common-law or conjugal relationship for the immigration purposes.

Or fly to India and "remarry" with proper certificate issued for the day when you are actually there - if possible at all.
Anon24 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anon24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2016 at 11:52am
Im afraid that won't work for now as my marriage is only 2 months old and we haven't lived together yet.
But good to know about the Common-law option for future.

Can i apply for a regular tourist Visa separately for her and get her to Canada for atleast 6 months?
If yes, then what kind of documents would i require?

Thanks
Anon24 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anon24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2016 at 12:19am
Hi,

Can you please let me know if i can applying for tourist visa for her now (as my fiancee) specifying that she would stay with me here in Canada for 3-4 months? 
I will register my wedding with a correct date (sometime in April when i would be physically present ) and later apply for a dependent visa from Canada.

Thanks
ski View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2016 at 1:24am
You can apply, of course, but like with any other visa, there is no guarantee of success.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic