Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Family Class Sponsorship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SEND MARRIAGE CERT ? Y OR N

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sami55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SEND MARRIAGE CERT ? Y OR N
    Posted: 20 Apr 2010 at 1:28pm
HI this is Sami

I got married to my canadian wife in January so when we sent off the Spousal outland sponsoring we sent in just the solemnisation ceremony document only.....
my wife has been approved by CPC M as sponsor and the file has now gone to LONDON UK for PR processing for me.

the marriage certificate has arrived now...

so shall i send in the marriage certificate? or will the solemnisation thing suffice?....
if i do send it in... what else can i do to enhance my case to try to avoid an unneccessary trip to UK for the interview.for example I could send in further photos to prove that we are still in genuine,love and together as one?
thank you

CANADIAN WIFE SPONSORING HUSBAND. OUTLAND UK while he is here in canada as visitor..
27 01 10 applied for visa ext
29 03 10 got the visa extended until 22 09 10
25 02 10 sent off CPC M PR outland UK
02 03 10 pack delivered to CPC Mississauga
25 03 10 CPC Misissauga accepts sponsor......
case gone to London UK
April 2010     Waiting……………….

best wishes to ALL... good luck
redeagle View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redeagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2010 at 3:58pm
There probably isnt much need to send in the certificate unless they ask, as for London, they are one of the embassies that appear to rarely ask for an interview, not that it is a definate, but it is probably unlikely.
"Will this matter a year from now?"
Probably, this is gonna be a one hell of a long journey.
sami55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sami55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2010 at 9:35am
HI SAMI HERE

Please reply to this.... very urgent
surely there must be a lot of pple out there with this same situation.

ie do we send in the (PHOTOCOPY OF )marriage cert, which has arrived AFTER we submitted the pack containing the solemnisation papers..

if we do have to send it in WHERE DO WE SEND IT?
there is NO information at all where we are supposed to send it.
my canadian wife has been approved by mississauga as sponsor and the file has gone to LONDON UK on 25 march....its already 04 May...

someone told me that if i dont send it in and if they request it then it may cause delay of about two months...please comment.

THANK YOU

Harmonia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harmonia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2010 at 11:39am
Here is the London office information:

rbenoit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rbenoit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2010 at 12:18pm
Originally posted by sami55 sami55 wrote:

HI SAMI HERE

Please reply to this.... very urgent
surely there must be a lot of pple out there with this same situation.

ie do we send in the (PHOTOCOPY OF )marriage cert, which has arrived AFTER we submitted the pack containing the solemnisation papers..

if we do have to send it in WHERE DO WE SEND IT?
there is NO information at all where we are supposed to send it.
my canadian wife has been approved by mississauga as sponsor and the file has gone to LONDON UK on 25 march....its already 04 May...

someone told me that if i dont send it in and if they request it then it may cause delay of about two months...please comment.

THANK YOU

I would personally advise to go out and have 2 notarized copies made.
Send 1 copy to Mississauga, send one copy to London.
Keep the original as a Notarized copy should be sufficient.
If your spouse gets asked for an interview, your spouse can then bring the original with her.

Peace of mind and all

Cheers!!!
lg107 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lg107 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2010 at 12:18pm

Hi Sami, Im in the same situation in that we sent off our app. on march 25th 2010 & then got married on april 22th. Im going to send in my marriage cert as soon as iv been given a case no. but our app. is still in cic-m & you are further ahead of us.

When you got approval for the sponsorship did you not receive a case no?? If you did then if i were you i would sent it in now to London but only with the case no. clearly marked on it. Without that there's no point as it will get lost.
App.sent 25/3/10
Sponsorship apprd 30/4/10
In process 14/05/10
RPRF requested 10/6/10
Paid RPRF 12/6/10
Meds rec'd 24/06/10
DECISION MADE 6/07/10
PPR 13/07/10
Visa rec'd 3/08/10
Landed 20/08/10
ArityMonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArityMonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2010 at 2:26am
I'm only able to speak from an American perspective, but I know we had to go to the County Building (where we applied for our marriage license) and get an official copy. A photocopy wouldn't be "official," and I'm not sure about a notarized copy done by a third-party notary, so the office would give us an official copy at $6 a pop. Just something to think about, if you do end up mailing one off! Obviously, you want to hang on to the original, for official purposes for the rest of the marriage. 
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2010 at 6:24pm
Only a "copy" of the marriage certificate is required unless they request a certified copy or presentation of the original (the latter is sometimes done in conjunction with an interview). For marriages in Canada (which is where, it is my impression, this marriage took place), it is unlikely that they would ask for a certified copy or the original unless there was an apparent problem or anomaly respecting the copy or the information itself.

I answered the OP's question elsewhere, but in effect at this stage it is probably best to send the copy of the marriage certificate after the AOR letter has been received, being sure to include full identifying information including client number and so on, to best assure that the copy gets directed to the correct file.

As a side note: I strongly recommend against doing what the OP did here. It may work out. In the long run it should work out. But therein is the rub, "in the long run," as in the probabilities are that failing to send in a copy of the marriage certificate in the first place will result in a longer delay than the waiting time to obtain the marriage certificate. How it goes in any individual case may vary, and again it may work out well for this individual . . . but even so, for now it appears that the odds of this causing more difficulties and delays weighs heavily in favor of not sending in an application until it is complete.

lg107 is not really in the same situation, since the OP here was in fact married at the time of submitting the application, but did not have a copy of the marriage certificate to submit.

I hope that lg107's app was based on common-law. If not, if it was based on a marriage in law, the odds are very very high it will be rejected and they will have to re-file. (Indeed, if it is not based on common-law the only chance of it not being rejected is if there is an oversight . . . recognizing that oversights are an integral part of any bureaucratic process, albeit they are usually such to be to people's detriment not advantage.)

The date the app is signed/submitted is the key date upon which a determination of requirements like being in a qualified relationship depend. If they were not in either a common-law marriage, nor yet in a legal marriage, as of the date they sent the application, there was no qualifying relationship for a sponsored PR app.
Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic