Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Preserving Permanent Residence Status
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

PR Renewal Delay

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRM67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PR Renewal Delay
    Posted: 15 Dec 2015 at 2:41pm
I landed in May 2010 along with my family but we could not stay the whole time and actually returned in Dec 2012 to permanently settle in Canada. Our PR expired in July 2015 and we applied for renewal of PR card in April 2015. My wife and children had continuous stay while I used to travel but I did fulfill the residency obligation of 730 days physical presence in Canada within 5 years of my landing.

In June 2015 I received letters titled : "processing delay" which stated that the "preliminary review has been completed for our application and they have now referred our files for a secondary review and this will cause additional delay in processing time." They did not ask for any additional information. 

It has been six months since that communication and there is no change in the status of my application. I have called CIC couple of times but all I have been told is I have to wait for the process to be completed.  

Is there anyway I can expedite or at least know the status?  I need to travel and getting travel document each time is a big hassle.
KRM67
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2015 at 1:59am

Originally posted by KRM67 KRM67 wrote:

I landed in May 2010 along with my family but we could not stay the whole time and actually returned in Dec 2012 to permanently settle in Canada. Our PR expired in July 2015 and we applied for renewal of PR card in April 2015. My wife and children had continuous stay while I used to travel but I did fulfill the residency obligation of 730 days physical presence in Canada within 5 years of my landing.

In June 2015 I received letters titled : "processing delay" which stated that the "preliminary review has been completed for our application and they have now referred our files for a secondary review and this will cause additional delay in processing time." They did not ask for any additional information.

It has been six months since that communication and there is no change in the status of my application. I have called CIC couple of times but all I have been told is I have to wait for the process to be completed.

Is there anyway I can expedite or at least know the status? I need to travel and getting travel document each time is a big hassle.

You can hire a lawyer to pursue an application for a writ of mandamus. The expense, however, probably outweighs reasons to do this. While it is not uncommon to see these linger for a year or so, they rarely take longer than that, often take less time than that.

You could send a formal letter to CIC demanding that a decision be made, and explain in that letter your need to travel and how difficult and inconvenient it is to apply for a PR TD each time.

You can also contact your MP and see if he or she can encourage CIC to more diligently process this.

Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
KRM67 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRM67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2015 at 9:31am
Thanks dpenabill for the info.  I will wait some more before I consider any of these steps.
KRM67
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic